DeWalt Power Tools

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on the battery too, run a dinky 2ah battery and you won't get much out of it, 5ah makes them all work pretty good. IIRC according to many tests the dewalt 6ah is the best on high output tools.

Sockets matter too, some are better than others at delivering the torque to the bolt. Even the bolt length matters, a long bolt has more spring and gets torqued less, the ideal scenario is a nut on a stud, this sees the highest final torque.

I have run the 3/4" high output Milwaukee, its rated at 1,200 ft/lbs fastening torque, maybe it doesn't quite hit that but it's up there. For what we use it for its a huge cost saver, $600 impact vs $10k+ for a diesel driven compressor, air hoses, and air impact. We can throw a cordless impact away every 6 months and still be cheaper based on fuel savings alone.

True those are all factors, I have between 3-5 amp batteries. But you can feel the torque difference, I can hold the dewalt all day with one hand and it doesn't matter how hard it grabs it's nothing to hold, a 1" impact rated for 2000ft lbs if you don't have 2 hands on it solid it's getting away from you. Yea if the cordless will take them off it's way better option for the odd use. But if you're breaking off semi lugs all day even if the cordless can do it you'd kill the thing in a few weeks I bet, and you'd need 3-4 or the heat would eat them up in a day.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True those are all factors, I have between 3-5 amp batteries. But you can feel the torque difference, I can hold the dewalt all day with one hand and it doesn't matter how hard it grabs it's nothing to hold, a 1" impact rated for 2000ft lbs if you don't have 2 hands on it solid it's getting away from you. Yea if the cordless will take them off it's way better option for the odd use. But if you're breaking off semi lugs all day even if the cordless can do it you'd kill the thing in a few weeks I bet, and you'd need 3-4 or the heat would eat them up in a day.
Might want to tell that to my 3/4 Milwaukee which rattled off 120 nuts (1 5/16) on my truck and trailer on Friday, 9 ah battery, still one bar left when done.

I have been looking for an excuse to buy this puppy, but the 3/4 works so well I havnt been able to convince myself to pull the trigger

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The home owner versions of any of the colours doesn’t compete!
There is no such thing as a "home owners" version of any cordless tool. Thats an old wives tale that the supply shops use to justify their jacking up the prices. If the part number matches, its the same unit whether you bought it from Home Depot or Acklands.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on the battery too, run a dinky 2ah battery and you won't get much out of it, 5ah makes them all work pretty good. IIRC according to many tests the dewalt 6ah is the best on high output tools.

Sockets matter too, some are better than others at delivering the torque to the bolt. Even the bolt length matters, a long bolt has more spring and gets torqued less, the ideal scenario is a nut on a stud, this sees the highest final torque.

I have run the 3/4" high output Milwaukee, its rated at 1,200 ft/lbs fastening torque, maybe it doesn't quite hit that but it's up there. For what we use it for its a huge cost saver, $600 impact vs $10k+ for a diesel driven compressor, air hoses, and air impact. We can throw a cordless impact away every 6 months and still be cheaper based on fuel savings alone.
For sure on the battery and sockets. I usually run the 9ah batter on my 3/4 and have a set of Jet impact sockets that work very well. If I run a cheap knockoff socket I can feel it on the big stuff.

Milwaukee has brought out a new lineup of impact sockets, I tried out the 1/2 sockets, they seemed to work well, if I break any of my Jet 3/4 I will try a set of Milwaukee.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many semi lugs nuts a 1 inch millwaukee can rattle off before it is hooped, after 20000 or so, it still takes them off with ease. But i bought 2 small dewalt 1/2 impacts for my sons, they cost almost 500 bucks each, not sure of the numbers on them.. i was impressed with them. It is all the average joe needs.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see that, a fortune on their compressors, and the new battery impacts are still unproven and grow legs and walk away. It does not make sense for the average joe blow buying a compressor large enough to run a 1" air impact, when a 1 inch milwaulkee would do a better job.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But this tread is about dewalt, i believe dewalts lastest batteries are the best on the market and in the video they beat the other 1/2" impacts. I still have to take over my 1/2" maximum impact and see if it will rattle off a semi truck nut.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But this tread is about dewalt, i believe dewalts lastest batteries are the best on the market and in the video they beat the other 1/2" impacts. I still have to take over my 1/2" maximum impact and see if it will rattle off a semi truck nut.
in the video they beat other "1/2 inch mid tourque impacts" They come nowhere near the power of the Milwaukee High tourque 1/2 impact.

I run the exact impact in the video except its a 3/8 and I love it. The main reason is the compact size compared to the power. Being able to get into tight spots is a big factor when it comes to mid range. I use the 3/8 impact for up to 3/4 nuts, the high torque impact 3/4 to 1 1/4, and the 3/4 impact anything over that. Each are specific tools in my tool box for specific jobs.

If you compare the mid tourque impacts in the video you can see the Milwaukee is more streamlined and that is a big factor for me with that range of impacts. They now make an even smaller one with a tourque rating of 250 ftlbs, I may order one just because its so compact, could be very handy.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What average joe needs a 1inch impact🤣
I consider myself pretty average, and I have 2 of them. Both air, both collecting allot of dust the past few years. May be a good deal at a garage sale one day.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I consider myself pretty average, and I have 2 of them. Both air, both collecting allot of dust the past few years. May be a good deal at a garage sale one day.

As much as i dont want to tell you this, you are slightly above average joe status imo.

You run a buisness, youre not buying a 1 inch impact for light use around home lmao

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I notice the tire shop still uses air tools...
In a tire shop application I would use air as well. The investment in equipment is already spent, and as has been already pointed out, the cordless would grow legs quite often. I deal with a local mobile tire repair guy, he uses both, says both have they good points and bad. He is independent so he can choose what fits the application.

The one big advantage that air tools have over cordless is durability when you drop them. Because of the weight of the battery on the handle in a plastic molding, if you drop the bigger impacts and it hits wrong, you stand a reasonable chance of breaking the housing. Especially in the winter. I have done this twice. Causes a few swearwords.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As much as i dont want to tell you this, you are slightly above average joe status imo.

You run a buisness, youre not buying a 1 inch impact for light use around home lmao
Your are correct, I would never buy a 1 inch for home use, except I have a real problem with tools, some guys like booze, some like drugs, I have a tool problem. My wife just groans when the UPS driver shows up unannounced.

My latest un-need purchase

Im getting old, I like the big white lettering, easy for me to find the right socket without getting a pair of glasses

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love cordless tool. I think for continuous use the air tools probably hold up better though.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I love cordless tool. I think for continuous use the air tools probably hold up better though.
the cordless market has indeed come a long way, but, in some instances, and air tool is easier on the pocket book (if you already have the compressor etc) than the same tool in a cordless version.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ingersoll Rand 1" impact is going to beat the 1" milwaulkee. Once you start on battery tools thats the line you go with. So who makes the greatest range of tools for their batteries is which you need to consider when buying the tools and who makes the best batteries. I think dewalt makes the most range of tools but i could be wrong.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your getting me in trouble, I went on the milwaukee website to get a link, clicked on the whats new and saw this.

I have 2000 feet of fencing to do this fall.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ingersoll Rand 1" impact is going to beat the 1" milwaulkee. Once you start on battery tools thats the line you go with. So who makes the greatest range of tools for their batteries is which you need to consider when buying the tools and who makes the best batteries. I think dewalt makes the most range of tools but i could be wrong.

Dont go down this wormhole unless you have a bunch of time to waste today.

Top Bottom