Driveshaft Bulletin!!!

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I helped pull a 2013 Pro with a busted Drive shaft outta Allen Creek yesterday and one thing myself and everyone else noticed is we cant believe how paper thin the aluminum is. I did ride with two 13 pros all weekend, and they had no problems, But still seeing how thin those shafts are sure would make me nervous

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ron, if you go back and weed out every post from the doo riders, the thread will be useful again.

From what I see, there is a good conversation of forumers trying to find a solution to the issue, and a bunch of whiners. A lot or useful posts. Just see through your hate, wipe your tears and get over it.

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell, Poo is putting alot of faith in some pretty thin aluminium. I think the clamp is only a patch to postpone the inevitable. You are putting alot of tourqe to a little piece af aluminium where the steel goes into the shaft. The clamp might hold the two pieces from seperating for a while, but I honestly dont think this will solve all of the issues. Time will tell, just happy I kept my 12.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I see, there is a good conversation of forumers trying to find a solution to the issue, and a bunch of whiners. A lot or useful posts. Just see through your hate, wipe your tears and get over it.

No hate here, just an objective take on a thread gone sideways, sport. ;)

ditchbanger

Reaction score
my dealer gave me the skinny on this problem the day i picked it up. i guess the drive is attatched to the drive shaft with the same bonding agent they've used all over the sled...so it takes no torsional load (the hex drive does that). My dealer said they had two come out of the crate like this and it was found during the pdi. they said they have spoken to other dealers and they figure it was a bad batch of glue as it is much lighter in color that the norm. My dealer has been drilling a small hole on each flat of the hex drive, pumping in some glue, and riviting each drilled hole during the pdi....regardless of whether or not it is, or will be a problem. Sure you're drilling holes in your shaft, but you're also filling them with a stainless rivit afterwards. Im actually pretty impressed that they came forward and told me about this problem and how they resolved it.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my dealer gave me the skinny on this problem the day i picked it up. i guess the drive is attatched to the drive shaft with the same bonding agent they've used all over the sled...so it takes no torsional load (the hex drive does that). My dealer said they had two come out of the crate like this and it was found during the pdi. they said they have spoken to other dealers and they figure it was a bad batch of glue as it is much lighter in color that the norm. My dealer has been drilling a small hole on each flat of the hex drive, pumping in some glue, and riviting each drilled hole during the pdi....regardless of whether or not it is, or will be a problem. Sure you're drilling holes in your shaft, but you're also filling them with a stainless rivit afterwards. Im actually pretty impressed that they came forward and told me about this problem and how they resolved it.

I don't think they resolved it, they just patched it

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I helped pull a 2013 Pro with a busted Drive shaft outta Allen Creek yesterday and one thing myself and everyone else noticed is we cant believe how paper thin the aluminum is. I did ride with two 13 pros all weekend, and they had no problems, But still seeing how thin those shafts are sure would make me nervous

Hey, if your one of the guys that helped the three guys out pulling it up the hill, thanks alot. Never got to say it but it is much apreciated.

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is not a fix, they will still break the rivots. And simply pumping glue into the inside of the shaft will do zero. The glue needs to be between the shaft and the sleve inside it.

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clamp them, ride them.
By season's end we will know if it is resolved or just a patch.
Lets hope for no failures with clamp installed.
My prediction is a new shaft design for 2014.
Look at all the oil they will save.

Rideordie

Reaction score
Sounds like polaris is going to supply there own clamps for all the 2013's. Not sure yet but I imagine dealer will have to install for warranty reasons.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was told at Elk Island sales, in order to maintain warranty they had to install their clamp

crash77

Reaction score
Just talked with the Polaris dealer in Fort Mac. The official response from Polaris will be that yes there is a flaw in the drive shaft for 2013 and the solution will be installing the clamps. All the dealers are being shipped these clamps and have to be installed by the dealer for warranty and tracking purposes. No new drive shafts will be supplied for the 2013 models as part of a recall. I am assuming we will see the 2014 with a new drive shaft.

Dlynn

Reaction score
If you do not want to take the chance of waiting for the clamp from Polaris these guys have a nice fix for cheep insurance. When the shaft breaks to will destroy the tunnel also in most cases.

Top Bottom