Driveshaft Bulletin!!!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Poos, or PRO's??

Im hoping my ride this weekend will result in no broken anything, especially my drive shaft. So far with only a few hundred kms on the 13 poo I havent had any issues.(knock on wood). As for the 20000 poos this number is acurate. Remember not all sleds are sold here in western canada. Newfounldland has sales reported in the 3500 range. with only a half a million people thats not bad. so with that said look at ontario where one small nothern city has more people in it then all of newfoundland. There sales would be 5 times that amount. Then Colorado where Poo sales are always high. So for them to say 20000 i'd say thats accurate. But just in case I think im ordering the billet fix I saw on another thread.lol

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im hoping my ride this weekend will result in no broken anything, especially my drive shaft. So far with only a few hundred kms on the 13 poo I havent had any issues.(knock on wood). As for the 20000 poos this number is acurate. Remember not all sleds are sold here in western canada. Newfounldland has sales reported in the 3500 range. with only a half a million people thats not bad. so with that said look at ontario where one small nothern city has more people in it then all of newfoundland. There sales would be 5 times that amount. Then Colorado where Poo sales are always high. So for them to say 20000 i'd say thats accurate. But just in case I think im ordering the billet fix I saw on another thread.lol
maybe 20,000 total polaris snowmobiles in production, but no way there was that many pro rmk's built. if you can prove different, by all means do so.

theunit1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe 20,000 total polaris snowmobiles in production, but no way there was that many pro rmk's built. if you can prove different, by all means do so.

Another thread going no where ! Who really cares what number was posted or produced we all payed good money for our new sleds and just want to ride with no worries .So once polaris gets its chit together we can all go play together

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Another thread going no where ! Who really cares what number was posted or produced we all payed good money for our new sleds and just want to ride with no worries .So once polaris gets its chit together we can all go play together

Doo guy posting, former Polaris test pilot..... one of 198 more posts.....LOL

You don't fully understand...... If Polaris is saying 20,000 sleds built (Pro's), with ONLY 100 driveshaft failures, thats only a failure rate of .5% and may be totally in the range of acceptability.......LOL
We all know different but the Polaris number crunchers might beg to differ......
No friggen way there are 20,000 pro's in the mountains......the valleys and trails will be littered with scrap aluminum shrapnel and will be an environmental catastrophy.......:beer:
:beer:

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like duck said, it has to do with failure rate which would increase the chances polaris would get something done for you guys.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's my point of view as far a sledding goes too. I don't brand bash because they all have their moments. Buying a new sled is kinda like marriage; if it's working good everything is awesome and you feel like you made the best decision in the world. When things are going bad you wish you could just get rid of the one you have, and buy a new lightweight model, that goes harder than the one you are riding now, and hopefully won"t give you any grief in the future.:beer:

hunt340

Reaction score
H

Polaris can't fudge the numbers more then 1 or 2 % they are accountable to the stockholders. We all know they do the number crunch (%of damaged machines). So maybe they sold 19689. That's as close to 20000 as I need. Between the 3 cycleworks here they sold a couple hundred between snow check and late sales. That's one group now imagine all of North America!!!

Tyson.H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
H

Polaris can't fudge the numbers more then 1 or 2 % they are accountable to the stockholders. We all know they do the number crunch (%of damaged machines). So maybe they sold 19689. That's as close to 20000 as I need. Between the 3 cycleworks here they sold a couple hundred between snow check and late sales. That's one group now imagine all of North America!!!

Thats fine they got that many out at dealers, but how many have been picked up? (cycle works is still waiting for people to pic up snow checks) and out of that many how many have seen snow yet

hunt340

Reaction score
Thats fine they got that many out at dealers, but how many have been picked up? (cycle works is still waiting for people to pic up snow checks) and out of that many how many have seen snow yet

In that respect you are correct. I have 3 friends with the pro and this is there first ride. I've only got a couple hounded kms on mine and I'm scared to really push it hard. At least Til I can get a clamp fix. So I do agree with you.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
In that respect you are correct. I have 3 friends with the pro and this is there first ride. I've only got a couple hounded kms on mine and I'm scared to really push it hard. At least Til I can get a clamp fix. So I do agree with you.

Here in lies the catch 22..... If people are putting clamps on, the failures will never be recorded....the only ones that might fail are the ones without.....could go on for a long time.....its a raw deal.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did it ever occur to anyone that the clamp in one form or another may be the fix? As for the people in a panic I would say by the posts that the only people that are worried are the doo riders and for what reason? It is kind of sad how useless these threads become because instead of being able to find information on what is really happening you have 190 comments about how good the XM is lol. I for one DONT CARE about the XM so please post that stuff in the DOO section. I wanted a light weight machine and Polaris delivered in a big way, if it has some growing pains along the way I am willing to accept that and I know they will solve this and take care of everyone. YES it sucks for the guys/girls that already had them fail no doubt but very soon it will be solved and everyone can go and enjoy the season which is looking pretty good so far. I for one will not be taking it easy on mine.......but I will have Tyson's clamp on it when I get out of the place called work.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What?.....given up hope for a solution?

Not at all, here is the thing, the shaft did not fail once during testing, this leads me to believe that the problem does not lie in the design but rather in the execution of the assembly. Whether that was on Pol part or third party I have not idea but again I don't think the design is the issue. Second we have not heard of one failure when using the clamp this leads me to believe that the issue is a bonding one and that the clamp solves the issue. Now this is only my opinion but if that stops the failures why would they not get that out to everyone and then we can all ride without any problems. Is it a permanent solution? Maybe for the ones built this year with no way of knowing which ones did not bond properly or at least get us by until summer when the shafts can be removed and tested without losing any ride time this season. Don't know what the answer is but I can tell you that I will be happy to ride all season with Tyson's clamp if that's all it takes to stop the failure, and if it does not fail with that baby in place why would I remove it? It looks cool :)

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All drive shafts will be replaced with a newly designed one. They will have a telltale feature that is visible.

If they don't, ALL their customers WILL lose faith, and it will be the sled that no one will want to take a chance on, just in case it is a dud and Polaris will have many loyal customers looking elsewhere next year. It would be the "oh don't buy that one, it's got that shaft" sled.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Not at all, here is the thing, the shaft did not fail once during testing, this leads me to believe that the problem does not lie in the design but rather in the execution of the assembly. Whether that was on Pol part or third party I have not idea but again I don't think the design is the issue. Second we have not heard of one failure when using the clamp this leads me to believe that the issue is a bonding one and that the clamp solves the issue. Now this is only my opinion but if that stops the failures why would they not get that out to everyone and then we can all ride without any problems. Is it a permanent solution? Maybe for the ones built this year with no way of knowing which ones did not bond properly or at least get us by until summer when the shafts can be removed and tested without losing any ride time this season. Don't know what the answer is but I can tell you that I will be happy to ride all season with Tyson's clamp if that's all it takes to stop the failure, and if it does not fail with that baby in place why would I remove it? It looks cool :)

Ok, here's the deal....you have no idea how manufacturing and outsourcing of parts is done. it costs very little to re-design the shaft. And, when I say re-design, I mean make it bullet proof and make the shaft thicker in the manufacturing process. Its just heavier guage material. Also, the end that is too short, needs to be 2" or so long, whatever they come up with. Its not a totally new design, just an improvement on the current flawed driveshaft which allows for more error in lack of glue by still having enough surface to bond to. During the manufacturing process of the driveshaft the difference in cost would be almost zero. The clamps would be a deal breaker.....in the eyes of manufacturing$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal....you have no idea how manufacturing and outsourcing of parts is done. it costs very little to re-design the shaft. And, when I say re-design, I mean make it bullet proof and make the shaft thicker in the manufacturing process. Its just heavier guage material. Also, the end that is too short, needs to be 2" or so long, whatever they come up with. Its not a totally new design, just an improvement on the current flawed driveshaft which allows for more error in lack of glue by still having enough surface to bond to. During the manufacturing process of the driveshaft the difference in cost would be almost zero. The clamps would be a deal breaker.....in the eyes of manufacturing$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That takes time, in the mean time I want to ride and if I can do that with a simple fix that's what I want NOW. If/when they design a new shaft, test it, manufacture 20000 of them I will be happy to have it replaced. BUT I don't want to sit on my ass and not ride in the mean time.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
That takes time, in the mean time I want to ride and if I can do that with a simple fix that's what I want NOW. If/when they design a new shaft, test it, manufacture 20000 of them I will be happy to have it replaced. BUT I don't want to sit on my ass and not ride in the mean time.

Yes, thats what you shall have to do.....but the end result has to be an improved stronger bullet proof shaft that will take everything that a consumer will put it through....and that is something that hours of Polaris's rigourous testing will not come close to achieving.....

Top Bottom