Down dooo!

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2013 Xm. Loaded in trailer yesterday night, go to offload today and will not start. Backfires. Notice gauge cluster is pinned 9,000rpm and 200k?? Had this cluster replaced once already and currently has 836k on it. I pulled the cluster out and checked all connections.All good on that end. Anyone experience this and could give some insight?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that is a big no no. Will cook the ECU

I heard it's hard on the coils but it thought it would rule out a dead short in the cluster that's stoping it from running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
running without the cluster will fry the coils rather quickly.

Is that a internet legend? Lots of sleds have dead gauges and sleds run fine. The only thing the cluster controls is the heated grips and backup horn.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never did fire since drove into trailer previous night. Just need it going as we had terrible luck on sleds today, need to retrieve a paw less cat from clemina. Will make some calls in am and see where it goes. Thanks for insight fellas.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never did fire since drove into trailer previous night. Just need it going as we had terrible luck on sleds today, need to retrieve a paw less cat from clemina. Will make some calls in am and see where it goes. Thanks for insight fellas.
Had my sled do that when I dropped it off at the dealer. Was running when I took it there went to pick it up and would not start. Couple big backfires is all it would do after pulling on it till I was out of breath.

Changed the plugs out and it started first pull. Did not have any wonky readings on the cluster though.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had my sled do that when I dropped it off at the dealer. Was running when I took it there went to pick it up and would not start. Couple big backfires is all it would do after pulling on it till I was out of breath.

Changed the plugs out and it started first pull. Did not have any wonky readings on the cluster though.

It doesn't fire up for any digital read out. Ive got a set of
plugs I changed out at around 3200k but with the plugs being index not confident they'll be proper install.Could be another angle to delete.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It doesn't fire up for any digital read out. Ive got a set of
plugs I changed out at around 3200k but with the plugs being index not confident they'll be proper install.Could be another angle to delete.
They are just sparks plugs, Ikea furniture assembly is more complicated.

334967ee3e4b6c6251c5948eed308b0d.jpg

I take a sharpie and Mark where the electrode is on the base of the plug, or just above the threads. Makes it really easy to know where the plug is supposed to be. And you've got 180 degrees worth of grace.

I've been told a few times NGK made those plugs so that when they are torqued to spec the electrode is always in the same spot or correct spot with new plugs.

gofast89

Reaction score
Brp isnt even worried about indexing any more. I agree on the plugs try a new set

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

zenk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had this happen with my 2013 and it was plugs.
even on the old etecs, if you dont index, it will still run. for optimum performance you need to index but you will not have any issue starting if not indexed.
also the plugs for a summit are threaded right so no more index issues.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was cold, wind chill on a deck or open trailer is the big factor

Probably flooded plugs up

Buddy's 12 xp did this, they used a sewer hose pipe and warm truck exhaust to warm up engine with different plugs and it started up

sent while drinking tea's

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And yes running with cluster unplugged for more than a min or two will fawk the coils

Sounds like coils ground through the cluster some how, think cluster is a ground buss for many things

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
If it was cold, wind chill on a deck or open trailer is the big factor

Probably flooded plugs up

Buddy's 12 xp did this, they used a sewer hose pipe and warm truck exhaust to warm up engine with different plugs and it started up

Wind chill has no affect on a snowmobile. Except to cool them off faster.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wind chill has no affect on a snowmobile. Except to cool them off faster.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Huh

A sled on top of a deck covered or not at -20 is in the wind at 100 km a hour

Fawking rights there is wind chill

And for some reason a etech don't like to start with pull cord if you don't yank it fast enough first two pulls, seems to flood

I have found if u pull it over to free it up some before kill switch up it helps curb it from happening

The electrical start ones don't much matter it seems tho

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh

A sled on top of a deck covered or not at -20 is in the wind at 100 km a hour

Fawking rights there is wind chill

And for some reason a etech don't like to start with pull cord if you don't yank it fast enough first two pulls, seems to flood

I have found if u pull it over to free it up some before kill switch up it helps curb it from happening

The electrical start ones don't much matter it seems tho

Actually if you go a little faster it will start to heat things up...LOL

Top Bottom