Do you use your GPS?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use my Rhino every time I ride. I keep it in my handlebar bag and log the tracks that I make on any given day. As I don't have an altimeter on my sled I often use it to check elevations and verify clutching. When I get back from sledding I download my tracks and waypoints from the GPS into mapsource then save them as a .gpx file. This allows you to import them into Google Earth and check out where you've been. I've attached a sample of the gps tracks in Google earth.

As far as maps are concerned if you're riding in BC the only one worth having is the Canadian Topographic Map from Garmin. A lot of the logging roads are on them. I bought an 8 Gig SD card for my Rhino, that is enough storage to hold all of the Topo maps for Western Canada so you don't have to worry about loading maps for every particular area you sled in.

Oil Trax NT is great for Alberta but it has next to no coverage in BC (Except NE BC). I find that the coverage for Oil Trax is best around Grande Prairie where every goat trail around seems to be on there. I have Oil Trax loaded on a different SD card so when I want to change maps I don't have to do any loading I just pop off the battery, switch the card and reboot the device.

As far as a radio channel it all is your preference our group runs channel 6 code 1 but I think it doesn't matter as long as everyone is on the same channel. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have everyone on one channel incase the chit really hit the fan... it would be easier to call for help but I guess that's what a spot or sat phone is for....

Well thats about all I have right now if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me.

wow. you've got it going man. I'll have to get in contact with you some day and get you to teach me this stuff, Really interested in ploting some of my tracks on Google earth.

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry my gps for everything, hunting, camping, sledding, quadding. Going to get the new Garmin 60scx. But I'll need more than a night with 2003summit to figure some stuff out. We should make it a weekend thing. Who's game?:d

The Freerider

Reaction score
I recommend Ibycus Topo. I have both it and the Garmin Topo Canada v4 maps and I find Ibycus way better. It shows roads, pipelines, and cutlines that the Garmin topo maps do not have on them. It also shows alpine areas which is great for sledding. It's 100% free and legal to download, but you need a BitTorrent program (I use uTorrent)

Info Site: Home

Torrent Download: Ibycus Topo 2.1 - Zip Version Torrent - btjunkie

Version 3 is apparently out but you need WinISO to extract it, not sure of the changes.

Version 3 link: Ibycus Topo 3.0 (download torrent) - TPB

snowtractor

Reaction score
I use my rhino 530 all the time works awsome pretty sure not using it to its fullest abilities though the topo maps are great

summitxrs

Reaction score
Have you guys ever thought about using a program called Arc Veiw. It give you the ability to manipulate map and customize them from the information you retain from your GPS's. So you can make a map of the mountain that can be loaded into any GPS, it can show trouble spot, good riding area, even where the trail is at from your loaction. I have it on my farm and use it for presicion farming, but it is the same idea. The only downfall is that the program cost me almost $3000.00, but if a organization bought and made the map then you could sell to guys like me who doesn't know some of the good riding area all that good

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have .gdp or .gpx files for most sledding cabins and stagging areas in B.C. Open file in mapsource on Topo Canada or Ibycus Topo Map, you can then "view in Google Earth" I have sent the file to many on S&M if you want it PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it out. I will also send out any future update to you.:beer:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 114

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to jack your thread, but just one question.
I see a lot of you use the Rino 530 and I am looking at buying 2.
Does it matter if you have a 2 watt or a 5 watt??
Thanks.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both will work, they are the same unit. the 5 watt is usa use only at this time? the 2 watt is for use in canada. the 5 watt will work in canada as long as you don't go online for upgrades. if you go to usa, go online and do the 5 watt upgrade, supposedly a software upgrade, that is what i've been told. the mileage figures that all these handheld walkie talkie radios quote is highly subjective. line of sight is the best you'll do. 50 ft to maybe 5 miles.
best feature is you can find your riding partners in the woods or mtn. areas.

BigBuckHunter

Reaction score
I also run a Rino 530HcX & love it - we use the 2 ways all the time - very handy, as well as the 'buddies' positions & tracks. Also the high sensitive receiver is awesome - allows you to track position while GPS is in your pack (not good to have it on the mount when climbing).
Following my track back has gotten me out of a few pickles this year when in sketchy spots & the snow flies hard & visibility is zero.

Very handy to have especially if your buddies have the same one.

BigBuckHunter

Reaction score
I've also found the Canadian topo to be a great map - shows trails, lakes, creeks, elevations...also the program that comes with the GPS allows you to overlay your tracks, waypoints, routes...on GoogleEarth & most other map programs - preetty neat to see you tracks on the maps on a big screen.

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run my GPS on every trip, I just put it in my handle bar bag. They do not need to be exposed to the elements to receive GPS signals. I log my tracks all year and upload and plan in Mapsource. Best thing was being able to link trails. I use the new Topo Map 4. I attached a print of Kakwa, next trip will link the trails across Broadview Lake. It would be easy if its a clear day but if its banked in it would be hard. I also like it because Kakwa is goverened by a maximum elevation of 2000m in most places. It is also very remote so if something goes wrong I can use the track back feature, or at least get a Coordinate. One thing about coordinates is that they could be in decimal of degrees or degrees, minutes, seconds. You should know your unit and if you have to forward coordinates, let them know the format, in bad weather even 50m could mean contact or not.

Paul

Attachments

• kakwa.PDF
    621.5 KB · Views: 117

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledded from St. Paul, Ab to Valcourt Qc last winter following a self-done preplanned route on the Garmin Nuvii550. Used the Rino's for a few years but the screen is too small to see on the fly, so we mounted the Nuvii's to the dashes, tapped into live power, and made many snap decisions on the fly.
500kms per day for 10 days was the plan with 2 days spare. Made the trip in 10.5 days flat, averaging 480k/day. Was a rush! Rode to the -doo factory 50Year celebrations, and were treated like royalty, 'cause we rode so far to join 'em.
The Nuvii's are small enough to tuck into a shirt pocket and still work in the cold & wet.
No radio's built in tho, but there we used Collett communicators & blue-tooth cel-phone links. Sledding has come a long ways in the 40+ years I've been riding.
Great info in above posts guys!
But Rule #1 is don't plan to rely on GPS as your primary navigation: sh*t happens to electronics.
Rule #2 is don't look too long at the screen on the fl;y (almost t-boned my buddy when I looked up)
Rule #3 is we need more snow to ride on for the next season: any solutions?

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son bought me a 530HCX for Christmas but it's kickin' my butt. I can use the walkie talkie and as far as the gps goes I have picked up unlimited squiggly lines:d I can dial in my turbo, clutching and suspension spot on but all these electronics drive me nuts:eek: I'm gonna take a course the next time they offer it at the local college. The 530 works wicked because sledslut used it to find where we were this winter when I was almost upside down in a treewell breaking a new trail :eek: If the person receiving has the 530 it will give them your location when you call them which is a great feature. This is a great thread and I am gonna save all those links to my faves so I can find them again when i learn to use my gps. Thanks

Top Bottom