What do you recommend?

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all, myself and my wife are looking to get a satellite phone. I know next to nothing about them . All were really looking to do is be able call / text out in case something happens. GPS would be handy that we could mark our path and home location or upload maps but not totally needed . Also where would be a good place to pick one up in the red deer area or do you guys do on line purchase. Sorry for all the questions but like I said I don’t know a whole lot about them and researching them online is a bit overwhelming. I am not really a techy person so we would be looking for simple to use and not to fragile. Thanks

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this is a simple & easy to use as it gets. Seamlessly hands off from cell to GPS & back, anyone can call you.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zoleo is a first step and affordable. Combine it with any Garmin portable GPS that fits your budget and you will be set.
I recommend you visit GPS Central in Calgary (Maptown)and they can answer all your questions with out bias.
I also always recommend a laminated paper map of the area your riding. 1:20,000 scale with compass and learn to use it.
All can be had at GPS Central(Maptown), good luck.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all, myself and my wife are looking to get a satellite phone. I know next to nothing about them . All were really looking to do is be able call / text out in case something happens. GPS would be handy that we could mark our path and home location or upload maps but not totally needed . Also where would be a good place to pick one up in the red deer area or do you guys do on line purchase. Sorry for all the questions but like I said I don’t know a whole lot about them and researching them online is a bit overwhelming. I am not really a techy person so we would be looking for simple to use and not to fragile. Thanks

Hello
There are alot of choices in sat communication
There are the ones you text from and the ones you call from I don't think you can do both on one unit
Sat phones are nice because it is real time communication and that is great in emergences
But if the satellite is not " in view " of the phone you can't make the call
Texting devices will send out the text when it can communicate with the sat

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Zoleo is newer technology than inReach and it appears that it is cheaper. I am happy with my inReach synced with my iPhone (because the inReach has capability to your contacts and messaging is easy on the keypad on the iPhone) and GaiaGPS (a free tracking app that works from satellite).

Still got the research to do and similar to an avy beacon, practise is required to get familiar with the functions.

• Recommends
Reactions: RXN

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help. I am going to phone that gps central tomorrow and see what I can round up and see what he recommends. Thanks again

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you end up wanting a sat phone I have one for sale
If you want you can pm me what you got and a price and I’ll see if it’s what I am looking for. Or just reply here to don’t matter to me either way. Thanks

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The issue with a sat phone is it needs a solid communication link, not always good. Data such as txt is a momentary blink & message's are sent & rx'd.

Remember the OP said simple & easy to use, Zoleo fits. No drivers meeting required.

I'm currently InReach & just upped my plan as I might ride in the near future. Probability is very high I will trash it & move to Zoleo for simplicity & anyone can use it in an emergency.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Sat. phone honestly is kinda useless for what i think your intentions are. Save your money.
If it is you and your wife you will be riding designated riding areas like 90% of the sledding population. Very few sledders need Sat. phones unless they are trekking way off the regular riding zones and even then.
Sat. phones are better used in a guiding situation then personal safety use.
A Sat. phone will not help you much in giving SAR your exact co-ordinates unless your well versed in map reading, most people have no clue how too. Not knowing means carrying a GPS tracker, prefer way by SAR.
Devices like Spot, Inreach and Zoleo allow you to have basic communication with family in an emergency but more importantly they have 24/7 SOS monitoring for emergencies.
Honestly, it is much easier for rescue to track a signal location then you telling them on a Sat. phone that your by the tree near the rock face on the mountain...LOL

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great advice guys. Yes we mostly camp and quad on somewhat major trails but there’s no cell service in most of those areas. We’re not out in the absolute middle of nowhere by any stretch . Like I said it would be nice to be able to get help if you needed it or if there was an emergency at home someone could contact us if need be .

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’re only making a few trips a year I believe you can still rent them from Bearcomm in RD, far cheaper than buying and paying monthly sub fee.

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recommend looking into Bivystick as well, when I was doing my research it was honestly the best way to go. Uses the Iridium network (which for sledders is a must if you get stuck in a creek) and the messages actually roll over so you dont end up paying for stuff that you never use.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great advice guys. Yes we mostly camp and quad on somewhat major trails but there’s no cell service in most of those areas. We’re not out in the absolute middle of nowhere by any stretch . Like I said it would be nice to be able to get help if you needed it or if there was an emergency at home someone could contact us if need be .
Some don't realize this type of gear isn't just for a sled ride, travelling still has many areas' with no cell service. I'm on many secondary roads that have no cell coverage, you still have to get there & home. Job sites may not coverage, until you have it you may not realize the other application's.

One sled trip a guy broke his throttle lever, his parents were in town where the dealership was. Couple txt's from my phone, paired to my InReach & parts were waiting for him @ home. This was a Saturday so he would never have had parts for the Sunday spin. No cell service in this area.

Top Bottom