Diesel Vs Gas 2500/3500

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
......... Now, if they'd put the 6.2 in a 2500, I'd be looking.

Been saying that since the 6.2 came out. Once I get rid of my toy hauler and if they came out with one of these in a 2500 I'd buy one for sure.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My L5P gets 16-18 l/100k unloaded highway, 23-25 pulling 28ft 7000lbs enclosed. Considerably less then my 5.9 Cummins, but it pulls a lot smoother.
That empty mileage is terrible. My '16 dmax coming up hwy 22 and through the mountains some of it in 4wd to sicamous today with one sled on the deck was between 13 and 17L/100.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
68000km on my 15 cummins and it's never regenerated. If you don't drive a minimum 10miles of hiway per day, don't buy a diesel. If you drive enough to actually warm up a diesel, get the oil up to temp, get the egts up etc, then get a diesel. They should really put this in the sales brochure. No modern diesel is made for slow driving in short cycles. A buddy just traded his 16 f350 platinum in on a Gmc gasser because it was always regening, or forcing him to drive fast. Would come on the dash, "drive over 80kph for 20 min" living and working in town it just wasn't worth the trouble. I live 30km from work, and mostly hiway, and pull smaller enclosed most days, so the diesel is good to me, great on fuel, etc. and it doesn't hurt that my truck has lifetime synthetic oil changes included with it, so I'm not paying $290 every time. Also, who actually pays full price for a diesel? Be patient and buy a left over. My crew cab 4x4 diesel was $53000. Sticker said 71000. Know how to play the game.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not true at all. When the truck is working hard, like when pulling heavy the truck does not need to regen. If your truck is constantly regening, it's because you're idling it too much or doing too many short trips. Truck is completely stock. Actually it doesn't, it hasn't done a regen in roughly 3 years. No idea about other brands, but it comes up on the dash if the truck is regening and shows how full the filter is, and goes off once it gets clean enough. Nothing wrong with it, it's exactly how my semi is too, get idling too much, and you need a parked regen, keep it moving and working, and you won't need to regen.

Why do you think everyone knows the people who have the most problems with emissions are those who aren't working the truck?

So you get a message it’s when regening? I don’t think mine has yet with 50 k on a dodge.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geeze, my dmax sure is different then. The first 2 years I had it, I was driving 100km round trip by highway to work every day and it still regen'd at least once a month. That said, I've never had a message on my dash, you can just tell by the idle and how it smells.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you get a message it’s when regening? I don’t think mine has yet with 50 k on a dodge.
I don't know if they have changed it but my dodge never said when it was in regen, I could smell it and temp went up. It has been given a less restrictive life and is happily putting the km on.
My Ford 6.4 would say when it was in regen usually every 8-1200 km for passive, active regen I only saw it once and the motor blew up midway thru.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am one of the buddies mentioned in this post. I have deleted and had my truck tuned by Coopers in Leduc. What a change from having the emission gear on there. Daily driving I am 8-10L/100KM. My wife's Cadillac SUV gets 11-12L/100KM. There has been such serious improvement from the deletion. I do not huff black smoke, the truck is a bit stinkier but the overall performance in towing and day to day driving is amazing. There's a truck for everyone, I had a gas to tow ~10K in trailer weight - was brutal. When I upgraded years ago I never looked back.

8L/100km? Thats like 33 mpg. I’m gonna pluck on that.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
68000km on my 15 cummins and it's never regenerated. If you don't drive a minimum 10miles of hiway per day, don't buy a diesel. If you drive enough to actually warm up a diesel, get the oil up to temp, get the egts up etc, then get a diesel. They should really put this in the sales brochure. No modern diesel is made for slow driving in short cycles. A buddy just traded his 16 f350 platinum in on a Gmc gasser because it was always regening, or forcing him to drive fast. Would come on the dash, "drive over 80kph for 20 min" living and working in town it just wasn't worth the trouble. I live 30km from work, and mostly hiway, and pull smaller enclosed most days, so the diesel is good to me, great on fuel, etc. and it doesn't hurt that my truck has lifetime synthetic oil changes included with it, so I'm not paying $290 every time. Also, who actually pays full price for a diesel? Be patient and buy a left over. My crew cab 4x4 diesel was $53000. Sticker said 71000. Know how to play the game.
You shouldnt get a message that says it is in regen....

I highly doubt that is has never been in a regen where added fuel has helped to heat the exhaust to clean out the dpf. Maybe if it was always pulling, but even all highway driving where it is at temp all the time, it is going to regen at some point.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You don't a message that it is in regen....

I highly doubt that is has never been in a regen where added fuel has helped to heat the exhaust to clean out the dpf. Maybe if it was always pulling, but even all highway driving where it is at temp all the time, it is going to regen at some point.

All brands are different, but yes with the dodge it comes up and shows what % the filter is, and goes away once it gets below a certain point, only takes a few minutes. No idea why you can't bring up the filter % otherwise though.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8L/100km? Thats like 33 mpg. I’m gonna pluck on that.

I get 10 no problem (empty) with my stocker. 11-12 if it's windy or super cold. I don't think he's too far off. Loaded, or big ass mud tires, you can kiss that goodbye tho.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You shouldnt get a message that says it is in regen....

Keep it plugged in, run winter front below 0, and set cold high idle up to 1100rpm, I have the digital Lcd whatever dash, have never had the regen come up. Have seen it on lots of customer vehicles, never mine. Also always run mopar def. ran bulk from ufa once in a pinch, and I actually got a message in the message center for "incorrect def".

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the dpf starts to get full they warn you regen in "x" the fords do too. Not sure about chev, also can't understan why they don't have a def gauge.

bcjeepr

Reaction score
6 liter ford bad, Dodge auto trans Junk,(Asin good) rust bad. Chev D max and Allison mostly good,exept for crappy front ends, till 2011? New ford diesels the best? too soon to tell.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cummins doesn't tell you everytime it's in regen. It will inform you if filter is "xx% full" and it will most definitely be in regen but I guarantee you it's done active regens many times without you knowing.

vegamark

Reaction score
My 2016 dodge 3500 was going into regen everyday driving from tofield to smoky lake , got tired of it so deleted it, totally different truck now!

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does any body have any experience with the 6.2 ford in a 2500/3500? Leaning towards gas due to the cheaper price and being less worried about it if it’s off warranty frame

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are we gonna have this thread hit 100 pages, poor guy is gonna get confused lol

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does any body have any experience with the 6.2 ford in a 2500/3500? Leaning towards gas due to the cheaper price and being less worried about it if it’s off warranty frame

Guy at work has one. Seems to like it. Good mileage and lots of power. Had someone sideswipe it on his street. Not much damage but cost $8000 to repair with the aluminum body

Top Bottom