Diamond Drive wide bearing: A year later

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I'm guessing a few folks ended up putting a bunch of miles on the new bearing. For those whose single wide bearing was trashed when they did the change, have you opened up after a couple hundred miles to check the condition of the new bearing?

I'm still thinking about doing this to mine when I crack it open to check on it, but at the beginning of last season it was fine though I've put twice as many miles since than as I did up until I first checked on it. I know it's kind of hit or miss, some people don't have issues but others have it go right away (something to do with the alignment of the chassis during its manufacture being off a bit resulting in more twisting/torque on the shaft if I recall correctly?)

And what was the consensus on installing it? I recall it being pretty much drop in for the 2009's, but some machining required for the 2010's (if the cover doesn't go on properly?) Or was that vice versa, or are both identical? And not applicable to the 2007-8 or previous versions of the DD, correct? I'm aware of most of the great how to threads, but some of them lack these details and it's a lot of stuff to sort through and re-read. Thanks.

ANDRES

Reaction score
I just heard from dealer to keep the stock bearing and shim as it was an install issue at the factory and not a bearing issue. Something about the bearing getting side loaded becuase it wasnt pressed into the gear all the way.He said running the wide bearing makes the cases to rigid and will eventualy crack.I am going back to stock, hope this helps

Top Bottom