diabetes??

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So does any one else on here have diabetes too? If so how does it effect you and what kinda of saftey stuff do you bring when you go to the mountains or just a ride.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know a guy who rides.....His main thing is cold feet so he has those heated battery powered boots. As well as everyone he rides with needs to be educated on what to do incase of an emergency.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah it makes it a little tuffer to prepare for sled trips but you gotta do whatcha gotta do haha

spikeydave

Reaction score
I have type 1 diabetes and bring my meter, insulin pens and will pack some glucose tablets, 2 bottles of apple or OJ and a few chocolate bars and hard candies. Later this month I will be using a pump so I will be bringing a Glucagon kit just to be on the safe side. As it is right now my levels tend to be on the high side and I notice when I get low quickly and can react as needed, with the pump I am hoping to have more tighter tolerances so it may be a little more difficult to maintain at first during strenuous activities. I also have a good breakfast with as much protein as possible and pack a fairly healthy lunch and snacks.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bring pretty much the same stuff and my numbers are on the high side aswell, I ussually end up coming back from a ride with a high blood suger because of the andrenalin i think, does this ever happen to you?

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm type 2, eat balanced meals, check your levels, take some snacks with you in the hill's when you go. Actually balance enough healthy snacks and sugar snacks so if you ever have to spend a night you can do so without too much worry.

So does any one else on here have diabetes too? If so how does it effect you and what kinda of saftey stuff do you bring when you go to the mountains or just a ride.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm type 2, eat balanced meals, check your levels, take some snacks with you in the hill's when you go. Actually balance enough healthy snacks and sugar snacks so if you ever have to spend a night you can do so without too much worry.
Yeah i got type 1, theone thing that bugs me sometimes is having to stay a night out there because of getting stuck or broke or something so i always pack lots of food

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Diabetes runs ramped in my family, being over-prepared is always a good thing.... Cold feet and hands are the main issue, but making sure you dont get caught in a "low" or "High" is that main thing.... Maybe Bernoff will chime in here......

spikeydave

Reaction score
I usually come back on the high side but not sure if it is from the adrenalin or just because on the way back I am usually a little more hungry and eat a little more later in the day. I do not have any issues with cold feet or hands, everything so far has been good on the circulation side. My biggest thing also is food for the night or carbs to keep me from going low through out the night. This year will be different with the 1st time using a pump so will be extra cautious.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont got a pump my parents really want me to try it but i keep thinking im gonna break it or something stupid

Pinebeatle

Reaction score
Had a big chunk of my pancreas removed- not type 1 or type 2--kinda in the middle. My biggest prob is going low and it happens fast when your riding hard. used to pack alot of goodies but went on new meds this summer and hopping for no more lows ---:p It snowed last night! :p

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here, I got on the Jaunumet works great for me.

Had a big chunk of my pancreas removed- not type 1 or type 2--kinda in the middle. My biggest prob is going low and it happens fast when your riding hard. used to pack alot of goodies but went on new meds this summer and hopping for no more lows ---:p It snowed last night! :p

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm an EMT and see a lot of diabetics in different situations and my mom is Type 1. One big thing I would recommend is just letting the people know that you are and what to do if something does happen. I've been to 911 calls where an unknowing family member actually gave the patient their insulin which as you guys know is a big no-no as they don't know the proper dosing, etc. I would also recommend taking your glucose meters, insulin or tablets (whatever you take) with you; just incase you have to spend a night on the mountain. A good, healthy lunch, snack type food and oral glucose (you can get it at any pharmacy; may be behind the counter). But I definetly would recommend letting at least one person who's riding with you know and what to do if they don't know already, plus were your oral glucose, juice, snacks are in your bag just incase of an emergency. Nothing worse than not being prepared! Also, with the insulin pumps, you can also take a back up syringes and insulin with you in the event it does break while out riding. Just take it out as a precaution! Hope this helps! Be safe out there! :)

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont got a pump my parents really want me to try it but i keep thinking im gonna break it or something stupid

I know they're expensive, but you can always buy a new pump, not the case with kidneys, eyes and limbs. If your parents have coverage for a pump, get it now before you are over-age.

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am type 1, i take glucogen in my pack as well as insulin, i make sure that all the people i am riding with also know what the signs of a hypo and hyper are and how to administer glucogin if i am out cold. I try to pack lots of low gi foods as well as some high gi incase of a hypo.

i generally reduce 20% on my insulin for the days i am out sledding as the extra energy used would cause a hypo if i didn't.

i also make sure i have enough supplies to last a couple of days out there if something go's really wrong. it means my pack is full and heavy but i don't have to stress about it.

oral glucose is good, though if you have a bad hypo and your out cold, its useless, the glucogon is a better option as long as your riding with someone who you can trust to administer it if the sh!te hits the fan...

Last edited:

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a few of my friends are on the pump, and i find it works for them well. they have better control, though it is a hindrance when your active or getting your freak on with your lady friend. lol

Top Bottom