Custom painted hood..the good, bad and the ugly

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I took a gamble on painting the King Cat hood. Went with a guy off Kijiji who has painted flames and showed me pics of some real nice work. I though someone who does permanent ink on a body would have a high standard of quality.

I wanted some subtle tribal looking ghost flames similiar to a M1000 posted in Powder Puffs green pics. What I wanted was circled in red in this picture.
tribal1.jpg

This is one sweet cat!!!!!

So I sent the picture to the guy and discuss what I wanted and he quotes a reasonable price including clear coat. I meet him by West Ed (half way for both of us) and explain the layout I want and he says no problem. About 2 weeks later when I pick it up it is wrapped in plastic. I'm in a hurry to get back to work, so I take a quick peak and it's a bit dusty, but not bad, so I pay the guy(I know my fault) Not quite what I wanted but close. Next morning after I get off work, I unwrap it and this is what I found.
Hoodafter3.jpg

Hoodtexture2.jpg

Hoodtexture3.jpg

Hoodtexture.jpg

OrangePeel.jpg

Flames are not as "ghostly" as I would have liked, but the clear coat is horrible. Takes a few days to get a hold of Tex, but when I do he says he had a buddy spray the clear and he will redo it. Takes about 3 weeks to get back, and I'm thinking I might not get it back as he has become very hard to get a hold of. When I finally get it, the clear coat is better, but still not right. Not as much junk in the clear, but still very textured.
He doesn't seem to care too much.
Hoodafter1.jpg

Hoodafter2.jpg

The clear coat is already flaking off, so it won't last long. He obviously didn't know what he was doing. I am a dummy for paying in full without inspecting, but lesson learned, the next person won't find me as trusting. Surprise, surprise, he won't return my e-mails now, so here is my warning.

Beware of a tattoo artist from the Spruce Grove/Stony Plain area if you are looking for some paint work. I wouldn't want any ink done by him either.:eek:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
That sucks....looks like he painted it with white paint rather than using a tinted clear to give the ghost look......hoping he sticks to tattooing just because he is an artist doesn't mean he can paint

M

mattmedic

sorry for your luck, could have been worse, "not even get it back", i had a similar event with a fire helmet, and never got it back, no # to call him, quit his job, just vanished, so don't feel to bad we all get bamboozeled once or twice in a life time!!!!!

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that's to bad:( I will take this post into consideration when it is time for me to get stuff painted!! A hard lesson learned that's for sure!! If you need stick men painted I am a champ at that...but cash up front!...lol....sorry had to do it!:d

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beware of a tattoo artist from the Spruce Grove/Stony Plain area if you are looking for some paint work. I wouldn't want any ink done by him either.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Yeah his name is tex nobles, i was about to send him my stuff but i did my research on him and seen his sample from other people..... looked very amature:nono:.
Good luck trying to get your money or anything back

sledchick855

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that sucks, I think we've all been there with mistakes...Just because the guy can tattoo doesn't mean he can necessarily do magic with airbrush too. Live and learn I guess! I've wanted to get into airbrushing myself, but got into photography this summer instead...hopefully in the near future! :D Better luck next time eh! :)

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know how you feel.I sent my hood to a person I woulnt name,The first comment i got was it looked like a velvet painting from the 60's,I paid way to much and never looked at it to close when picking it up.It was a crappy paint job,crappy clearcoat and pretty embarrassing when everyone wanted to see the paint job I anxiosly awaited.
Funny,mine is a 05 kingcat as well!
catmando!

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea, it was my fault for not checking it before paying. Guess I didn't do enough research. Just wanted to warn people to stay away. If it saves someone from doing business with him, then I'll at least feel better.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. Probably won't see new paint this year.

Maybe a "Painted by Tex" decal:d

I would have been stoked if it had turned out like the M1000.

Lyle, what velvet artwork did you get on yours?

green momba

Reaction score
the great thing about light weight hoods that are painted is they crack and If you are like me and sometimes don't keep the shinny side up or are in the trees, no matter how well they are painted they will look bad in time. And you get to start over, at least you are disapointed with the painter and not your self for wrecking it. lol

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the great thing about light weight hoods that are painted is they crack and If you are like me and sometimes don't keep the shinny side up or are in the trees, no matter how well they are painted they will look bad in time. And you get to start over, at least you are disapointed with the painter and not your self for wrecking it. lol

And there is a silver lining!

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I took a gamble on painting the King Cat hood. Went with a guy off Kijiji who has painted flames and showed me pics of some real nice work. I though someone who does permanent ink on a body would have a high standard of quality.

I wanted some subtle tribal looking ghost flames similiar to a M1000 posted in Powder Puffs green pics. What I wanted was circled in red in this picture.
tribal1.jpg

This is one sweet cat!!!!!

So I sent the picture to the guy and discuss what I wanted and he quotes a reasonable price including clear coat. I meet him by West Ed (half way for both of us) and explain the layout I want and he says no problem. About 2 weeks later when I pick it up it is wrapped in plastic. I'm in a hurry to get back to work, so I take a quick peak and it's a bit dusty, but not bad, so I pay the guy(I know my fault) Not quite what I wanted but close. Next morning after I get off work, I unwrap it and this is what I found.
Hoodafter3.jpg

Hoodtexture2.jpg

Hoodtexture3.jpg

Hoodtexture.jpg

OrangePeel.jpg

Flames are not as "ghostly" as I would have liked, but the clear coat is horrible. Takes a few days to get a hold of Tex, but when I do he says he had a buddy spray the clear and he will redo it. Takes about 3 weeks to get back, and I'm thinking I might not get it back as he has become very hard to get a hold of. When I finally get it, the clear coat is better, but still not right. Not as much junk in the clear, but still very textured.
He doesn't seem to care too much.
Hoodafter1.jpg

Hoodafter2.jpg

The clear coat is already flaking off, so it won't last long. He obviously didn't know what he was doing. I am a dummy for paying in full without inspecting, but lesson learned, the next person won't find me as trusting. Surprise, surprise, he won't return my e-mails now, so here is my warning.

Beware of a tattoo artist from the Spruce Grove/Stony Plain area if you are looking for some paint work. I wouldn't want any ink done by him either.:eek:

If you are okay with the flames, you might be able to get a body shop to wet sand the clear off and respray it.... Check around.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
It's good that you posted photos to support the complaint...nothing worse than a complaint without proof.
Very poor paint in my opinion..sorry for hearing that.
I agree with others, Rknights hood by Druid is unbelievable.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
You might be able to wet sand it and just get it re cleared,,the only thing is the shop won't warrenty it ,i have painted a few hoods but that looks like spray bomb clear...Sorry about your luck though

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might be able to wet sand it and just get it re cleared,,the only thing is the shop won't warrenty it ,i have painted a few hoods but that looks like spray bomb clear...Sorry about your luck though

With a sled I wouldn't expect shops to warranty it anyways... Things get wrecked too easily for them to deal with warranty. Looks like spray bomb clear, yes... or someone who is half blind that painted it in the middle of a construction site.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've airbrushed a few things and finding someone that can lay a nice clearcoat has been a challenge. I had guys that say they can only to find out after that they really can't.

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
That’s unfortunate you paint didn’t turn out uturn, I do airbrush work, lots of sled hoods. I refuse to let anything out if a person isn’t satisfied. Maybe the painter had a bad day, still no excuse. I don’t know how much you paid for your paint but it sometimes has a bearing on what you get. By the looks of your hood I would say there is only one color and a very rushed job. Sander down and paint it again.

Top Bottom