Coyote trapping???

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, in the last 2 months i have now lost 2 of my dogs to coyote's, i have one left. Wife very upset.
I live in a rural area but still to close to houses to shoot any kind of firearm.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with trapping these critters or any thought's on taking care of this without shooting?
Thanks for any insight.

BTW we did talk to the conservation office and they won't do anything.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the 2nd dog u figure got taken by yotee, or dog napper

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the 2nd dog u figure got taken by yotee, or dog napper

First dog i saw it happen and wasn't able to intervene. The second just went missing, kinda weird after 5 years with no problems.
At first i kinda thought dog napping but after talking to a few of the neighbors, i leaning towards coyotes now. They have been spotted more this year then previous. Plus another neighbor, his cats have gone missing just this month.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are very smart. Hard to shoot. Hard to trap. Most videos they use electric calls to lure them close enough to shoot but not sure they are legal in Canada. I lived on acreage east of chestermere for years and took few down out there. Most of them were 350-400 yard shots though. With all the new houses that way now there's no way I would be taking those shots now a days. They use lay of land so well it's hard to see them let alone shoot them.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lost 4 dogs in 10 years... I would suspect coyotes with all of them. Not little dogs either and all were raised out there. My kids started numbering cats cause so many of them disappeared.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Not really a easy solution. You can snare and trap them but you might get someone's pet in the snare to. I do a lot of shooting coyotes and they are pretty smart.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really a easy solution. You can snare and trap them but you might get someone's pet in the snare to. I do a lot of shooting coyotes and they are pretty smart.

Yes that is one of my concern are neighbors pet's. Scratching my head about this.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Don't wana be that guy but.... Get a bigger dog?

We have lost probably 20 cats in the past 3 years, I figured out that most of them were taken by a great horned owl. But we have had a problem now that it's calving season with coyotes in the yard. My German shepherd loves to chase them though! For about a mile lol. We usually take a dead cow/calf and bait them. Put it some where that it's easy to see and shoot at.

You can always try to poison them too.

In the end shooting them is the most effective.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will never get a coyote to go in a cage like that, a snare will have more chance of catching another pet, best is a dog run, crossbow bait and time

OK, not sure what you mean can you elaborate?

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Irish Wolf Hounds are great hunters.....we have a Great Pyrenees, she hates Coyotes....

This year she has been terribly busy....actually been considering getting her a running mate...

I have a injured animal call that has been know to attract coyotes, but even with that and me in a blind, they are hard to lure close enough to shoot....

Even the County of Strathcona Animal control hunter guy, cant keep....

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your dogs. I know dogs get killed by coyotes but they don't eat them. The dogs that often get killed by coyotes are the dogs that are roaming free and chasing coyotes regularly. I personally have lost a dog to coyotes. She love to chase them it was great sport until she got out numbered one day. The way I see it the old coyotes just got fed up with having its mouseing interrupted. Its imposable to trap near neighbor's cause it usually takes weeks our months to trap coyotes even when you know where they are. Its not like you and your neighbor's can keep your pet in for a night so you can trap the coyotes. If it were that easy trappers would be rich. A possible explanation for missing dogs in cattle or horse country is that a rancher can lawful shoot any dog actively chasing live stock. In any case sorry about your dogs hard to lose them when we get so attached to the darn things. On the missing cats I agree with the previous poster that Owls are responsible for lots of missing cats.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
And for smaller dogs and cats, like previously said are the owls.... And in bc you also have the threat from eagles.... Witnessed an eagle taking away a beagle one afternoon at mabel lake .... Owners were distraught/shocked, to say the least :(

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, not sure what you mean can you elaborate?

coyote to smart to go in trap, maybe in the bush but not local, buy a crossbow and shoot them, place bait out Friday night and set yourself in a place you can watch from and spend the weekend waiting, tough deal but no easy solution.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
coyote to smart to go in trap, maybe in the bush but not local, buy a crossbow and shoot them, place bait out Friday night and set yourself in a place you can watch from and spend the weekend waiting, tough deal but no easy solution.

Ah ok, that is an option but kinda thinking the coyote might sit on the bank and laugh at me waiting. I'm really that close to homes so don't think the neighbors would appreciate me sitting there with a crossbow.
Wife is talking a bigger dog??? I'm thinking if not trapping a fence around doggie area. like chain link.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about a salt gun mike, shoot the yotee with it

I've been shot with one, burns for days

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
They have good smell. Wind will be the downfall to the plan of sitting waiting for them. You'll be there for hours .
Maybe you need to do some recon looking for dens and go hunt them from farther away. Very smart critters they are. They sure pizz me off sometimes

Top Bottom