Looking at new couches......

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey guys, once again I would like some education and I know that there are people here who would have real world experiences and tell it like it is.

We are in need of new furniture for our new house. Down sizing has been the theme from the get-go and our living room is no different. Smallish and not conducive to big furniture. We are looking at a chesterfield and we are thinking that the reclining aspect is a requirement. Our problem is that most of everything produced now has power recliners. Our chesterfield cannot be put against a wall to access a wall receptacle due to the design of the living room (and I won't run and extension cord under the rug). The salesmen say, "they can be ordered with a battery"! Well, how does that work?

I am skeptical of most salesmen. The dude says, "it will operate 80-90 times without recharging". So, if there are two people using the chesterfield and they each get up and down a minimum of 4 times during the duration of the evening (I don't think that is uncommon), that would be 8 times an evening and doing the math about 10 days and the battery is ready for recharging. I am putting this out there for real world experience and disregarding the reviews that seem to float around regarding this kind of technology.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just got new Ashley couch, rocker and some other couch thing with center console.
All of it’s electric with usb ports.

In the 2 days we have had it. I would say you don’t adjust the electric part a whole bunch. Once comfortable you relax thru a tv show. We don’t have the battery packs as plug locations work.

We did find the rocker chair tilts a long ways making location far from the wall.

We got the same story on battery packs.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, once again I would like some education and I know that there are people here who would have real world experiences and tell it like it is.

We are in need of new furniture for our new house. Down sizing has been the theme from the get-go and our living room is no different. Smallish and not conducive to big furniture. We are looking at a chesterfield and we are thinking that the reclining aspect is a requirement. Our problem is that most of everything produced now has power recliners. Our chesterfield cannot be put against a wall to access a wall receptacle due to the design of the living room (and I won't run and extension cord under the rug). The salesmen say, "they can be ordered with a battery"! Well, how does that work?

I am skeptical of most salesmen. The dude says, "it will operate 80-90 times without recharging". So, if there are two people using the chesterfield and they each get up and down a minimum of 4 times during the duration of the evening (I don't think that is uncommon), that would be 8 times an evening and doing the math about 10 days and the battery is ready for recharging. I am putting this out there for real world experience and disregarding the reviews that seem to float around regarding this kind of technology.

"At first" they last 80-90 times and drop off VERY quickly after that ( about 6 months for us ) ended up getting rid of the chesterfield

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I would stay away from the power recliners. We bought a couple of them and I don't like them. Too slow. Phone rings four times or the pizza guy is half way back to his car before you can get back to a position that you can get out of the damned thing.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are tight on space get the “ zero clearance” recliner as they only have to be a few inches from the wall.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couch and two love seats in my living room. All reclining, and the one that sits backing the kitchen with nothing behind it, has a battery pack. takes maybe a couple hours to charge it, then plug it back in and good to go. Had the set for probably 5 years now, and have charged the battery maybe 4 times. Last a long time but that would also vary on how often it's used. The others have outlets behind them, so not a big deal, but if wanted I can run a battery pack on any of them.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Can you get a couch with shot?

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at la-z-boy. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Always had good luck with them, long lasting with good warranty on the mechanics and frame.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can’t help with the battery thing, but as to quality, I’m with Arff....Ashley.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doug,

My wife, our 3 boys and a dog are still using a couch and loveseat that I bought in 2004. Its a leather, Canadian made, Palliser. It is unbelievable how well it has withstood time.

We have a Laz Boy that I bought for my wife for nursing our boys. The wear on the leather is disappointing. The chair has had a fraction of use of our couches and looks exponentially older. Spoke with Leons and Laz Boy on the wear after the first year and was given a cookie and a road map.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go take a look at Beachcomber in Kelowna or Vernon. They have some higher end stuff that goes on sale at reasonable prices. We have a couch/loveseat from them that has been holding up well to toddler abuse.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Once again guys, thanks for the information and replies.

Brand is important and very noticeable in quality, style, and comfort. Palliser out of Winnipeg and Natuzzi from Italy are both top quality. Pricey? Yes. We've had Natuzzi for quite a few years with pets and grand kids and the leather/reclining mechanisms held up exceptionally well. We decided to not have electric recliners and in fact picked a Natuzzi sofa/chair set with no recliners. We decided on a Palliser swivel/reclining rocker to highlight the color aspect. Got in on the big "2 hours sale" at City Furniture in Kamloops and "Bay Days" at the Bay. Both great prices and what a treat to deal at the Bay compared to the pressure/clingy-ness at City Furniture in Kamloops. Pick up sofa/chair on Friday and the swivel rocker will be 4-6 week delivery.

Top Bottom