Clemina Avalanche Video

cobbycat

Reaction score
the only way some of these people are going to stay off the hills right now is if their sled doesn't run!!!:realmad:

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great video,could of been real ugly if buddy didn't have horseshoes stuffed up his ass

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes that was an amazing video and those sledders were very lucky but what is going through these sledders pea brain. Not only are they putting their lives at risk but also the lives of the ones who have to come and dig them out in a rescue or recovery. As it was said in an earlier post; keep this up guys becasue it is stunts like this that put a black eye on the sport of sledding. Get prepared for more area restrictions and closures. Don't think for one minute that the authorities are ignoring the carnage that we have witnessed this season there could be some draconian rules coming down the pipe when it comes to sledding in the back country.

Billy Boy:cool:

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw guys high marking on it a couple of weeks ago, the top was just loaded then. There is always some risk, it's just not smart the way conditions are. Just because your sled can climb it doesn't mean you have to :nono:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why people want to climb a hill that is prone to slides even on a good year (has slid during competition). There are lots of low risk areas to go, even in the backcoutry without exposing everyone to extreme hazards. The guys are soooo dam lucky the runout was short and not the long runs typical of this year. Stay back 1.5 times your hills hieght and screw the up close pictures. These guys should be sought out and given at least two smacks up side the head each, especially the guys at thwe bottom. Thanks for the vid, rare and shows how fast an entire gruop could have been hit.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were on site yesterday and looked at the slide. Very lucky indeed ! Amazing footage, please make sure it gets sent in to the CAA.

This hill sits in the sun all day, guys better start making better decisions. That being said, VARDA will be working on an Educational program for avalanche awareness this summer, but what do you guys think ? What will get through to the backcountry users in the most effective way. Lets here some ideas, PM them if you like

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
He is one lucky Mo Fo, we need to start a fund to get this person access to a radio, a TV, a Newspaper or the Internet as he obviously has no connectivity to the outside world.

You could very well have been recording one or more deaths.

This is the catalyst that will cause our freedom in the backcountry to be revoked or severely restricted!!

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no humour in this. Thanks for posting this video. The end of this riding season (hillclimbing) can not come soon enough. Way to many have been lost and this is a prime example of ignorance or lack of knowledge. There is a time and a place.

I'm with you on this. This was a prime example of the word preventable. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't of even been playing on a slope like this with the conditions the way they are this year. Hopefully the idiot and his bud's learned a lesson and will exercise some caution in the future.

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
Nice video, but not so nice comments about this fellow sledder.I'm wondering why all these people with full brains and not pea size brains are still going to the mountains at all.Is it not to hillclimb or watch people hillclimb, and how do these smarter people know "the safe hills" they are climbing on are safe.I'm also wondering if the group video taping went over there to see if everyone was ok or just watched from the "safe hill" they were on. Just my 2 cents!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice video, but not so nice comments about this fellow sledder.I'm wondering why all these people with full brains and not pea size brains are still going to the mountains at all.Is it not to hillclimb or watch people hillclimb, and how do these smarter people know "the safe hills" they are climbing on are safe.I'm also wondering if the group video taping went over there to see if everyone was ok or just watched from the "safe hill" they were on. Just my 2 cents!
yes, they did....
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/2/valemount-conditions-updates-9553-10.html#post425529

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here we go again!!!!!!!!

There is a lot more to do in the mountains than hill climb...especially this year!! Those of us with "full brains" are still going to the mountains this year because we enjoy sledding in the mountains...which doesn't have to include hill climbing or high marking....

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
I'm just saying that I've seen avalanches come down lots before.My brother was buried in one a few years ago, he was just weaveing though a creek bed and it broke 1000ft above him.We got him out in time but he was turning purple,the avalanche happened for no reason.Also seen one come down about a half mile from us and covered a main trail for a couple hundred feet,so if you were just trail riding you could have been buried.It's just not the hillclimb hills that slide!

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
I'm just saying that I've seen avalanches come down lots before.My brother was buried in one a few years ago, he was just weaveing though a creek bed and it broke 1000ft above him.We got him out in time but he was turning purple,the avalanche happened for no reason.Also seen one come down about a half mile from us and covered a main trail for a couple hundred feet,so if you were just trail riding you could have been buried.It's just not the hillclimb hills that slide!

Rule #1- Know your surroundings!!!!!!!!! That includes on the trail! Don't think that just because you are on a trail you are safe and can hang out having a sandwich when there is a mile long run out funneling right towards you!

BE AWARE AND TAKE THE BLINDERS OFF!!!!

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rule #1- Know your surroundings!!!!!!!!! That includes on the trail! Don't think that just because you are on a trail you are safe and can hang out having a sandwich when there is a mile long run out funneling right towards you!

It couldn't have been said better than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Why would they worry or care about the surroundings when they sit there and "poke the bear" that can bit them. Pinheads will be pinheads and it is not their fault they were born handicapped, just ask them:rolleyes:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think you do have a point here...it's so easy sitting from home watching the video on your computer and passing judgment.

Most everyone that's posted here "claims" that they aren't doing stupid stuff like climbing south facing slopes, sitting in the bottom of run out zones, and some even say that they are "playing it safe", doing meadows and what have you....etc, etc...

On the video you will notice that the eight sitting at the bottom obviously must have been taking pokes before the guy that sets off the avy. That hill is very tracked up.....So, there are what?? Nine people that are total idiots?? Come on guys.....it could have been any of you on that hill or at the bottom.

There is no point in bashing each other over this. The ones that are truly playing it safe are staying at home or doing flatland stuff. There are some mountain riders are still going to the mountains and doing what they love to do....and that usually involves HILLCLIMBING.....whether it be on a south facing slope or not.

There is no use in saying that there is "safe" places to ride in the mountains. There is no such thing. I witnessed it myself this year....saw a place slide that I never, ever thought would slide. It really hit home that the snowpack is just way to unstable this year. The risks are there, and as long as people have the sleds and the means to get to these areas there is no use to tell them otherwise. THEY AREN'T LISTENING!!!

It would really be a positive step for our sport if EVERYONE took an avalanche course, knew how to use their gear, (and I don't mean just relying on your ABS pack!!) studied the avalanche forecast before going out, and used common sense when they were out....it would save so many lives and would prevent a lot of the back lashing that I see going on here.

Please sign up for the next avalanche course April 18 & 19th in Valemount. It is so necessary, and it the smartest thing that you will do all season!!

ZacsTracs

Top Bottom