Cleaning out fresh water tank.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sanitise my tanks the same way I sanitise my beer making equipment.
I use 1 ounce of bleach and 1 ounce of vinegar per 5 gals of water. Add the bleach and vinegar to water. NEVER mix them together.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may i ask why? assume a chemical reaction.

we use our trailer water for coffee, dishes etc. i find adding bleach gets rid of the musty smell from tanks. no idea on pool chemicals, never used them. if you can not smell them, how you know they get all through the lines, or you have gotten it out?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may i ask why? assume a chemical reaction.

we use our trailer water for coffee, dishes etc. i find adding bleach gets rid of the musty smell from tanks. no idea on pool chemicals, never used them. if you can not smell them, how you know they get all through the lines, or you have gotten it out?

I can still smell the Dichlor a little when sanitizng, but no smell or taste left after. Using bleach and winter antifreeze leaves bad tastes and smells in tanks. Once a tank is sanitized, if you continue to fill with any municipal water source, there will be no contamination issues and it will be safe to drink.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good! i use well water, a bit of bleach gets the nasties out. so far good. i also run plumbing antifreeze, then flush it out twice in the spring. which reminds me!

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
. Using winter antifreeze leaves bad tastes and smells in tanks.

Some are much worse than others, the Prestone antifreeze is horrible tasting stuff and takes a few flushes, plus a sloshy drive to get rid of it, there are others that aren't bad, one flush and clean. Our setup needs antifreeze, so...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would have no problem ditching the antifreeze if blowing air through lines was 100%. i feel there may be some water left behind. my phoebea i guess. anyway, do what ever floats your boat, just don't burst a line $$$$ later.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of friends use air to blow out the lines but when I see pink I know its good for the winter.
i would have no problem ditching the antifreeze if blowing air through lines was 100%. i feel there may be some water left behind. my phoebea i guess. anyway, do what ever floats your boat, just don't burst a line $$$$ later.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

I've used air the last several years, until last year because it got cold too fast and I actually had to defrost lines to get it winterized....... stupid mother nature...... my dad also uses air and we've had zero issues, just have to be patient and just let her run thru.......

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can still smell the Dichlor a little when sanitizng, but no smell or taste left after. Using bleach and winter antifreeze leaves bad tastes and smells in tanks. Once a tank is sanitized, if you continue to fill with any municipal water source, there will be no contamination issues and it will be safe to drink.
Dont put the antifreeze in the tank, just the pump and lines.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I can't believe how many guys do that! I think pretty much all newer trailers have a bypass line. I used air once. Replaced one line after that, it was a long line with a low spot. Now I don't trust air.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe how many guys do that! I think pretty much all newer trailers have a bypass line. I used air once. Replaced one line after that, it was a long line with a low spot. Now I don't trust air.
Even without a bypass line you can buy a hose that screws onto the inlet and place in a jug. I couldn't imagine trying to get the antifreeze out of the fresh tank. Some people even fill the hot water tank with antifreeze too.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

when we bought our current trailer, there was 3" of pink in the fresh tank.... it took all season to get the taste/smell out of the unit, and we don't drink the water from the tap.... dishes and bathroom only......

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Never have in the tank, used to for the lines. Use air now. Once lines are blown out, I disconnect toilet water line and leave all taps open for a week to let evaporation do it's trick. No more antifreeze, no more smells, no more tastes for this guy.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i will have to check, but is the pink rv antifreeze not a form of drinking alcohol?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bypass hot water tank. Leave the anode out.
Hook line to pump to add pink antifreeze.

Never in my main water tank. just leave drain open.

Exactly!!! Don't understand why antifreeze in fresh water tank.
Weird?
Had lots of RV's and never have had rv antifreeze in that tank.

Gallon and 1/2 of antifreeze and RV completely winterized including outside shower.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bypass hot water tank. Leave the anode out.
Hook line to pump to add pink antifreeze.

Never in my main water tank. just leave drain open.

I do this as well. I pump a jug or so of antifreeze so a bit comes out each tap then I blow all the lines out. That way I know the low spots are good and don't have a lot of antifreeze to taint things by sitting all winter. Spring I just add water and flush till water runs clear.

Haven't had any smells from it yet

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to take it off topic , but I have a little drip in my drain spout at the bottom of one of my fresh water tanks ... the white glue around the fitting has a slow drip . If I press on it it is a small steam .
Sooo , do I try a 2 part epoxy and see if that helps . Apparently JB weld has one that works quite well on these tanks .
Or drop the tank , ( no fun at all ) and get a new bung welded : glued in ?
Any recommendations on type of epoxy etc ...
Tia...

Top Bottom