Christmas Blues

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does any else just about hate the arrival of Christmas. I really don't HATE it, but what we have evolved to! Trying to buy presents for someone that has everything. The work of helping to decorate the house. (We have 14 VERY large tubs of stuff to spread around the house) The stress of making sure everything is just right. I think Christmas should be for kids.

What ever happened to going out slidding on the hills with the kids, or of course getting some sleds out and have a ride or 6? Spending time with people that you like, and just eating the turkey no matter what it turns out like.

I think everyone should look around there town or neighbourhood and see if there is afamily that has it tough! Put a turkey on there table and a few gifts for the little kids that will not get anything!

I truly hope that everyone has a good Christmas!

Cheers!

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate the way Christmas has become so commercialized. I hate the way some people think we need to pussy foot around the holidays, it's Merry Christmas not Happy Holidays if your Christian and if you're not Christian it's whatever you want to call it. Other than that I enjoy Christmas and since we have a 17 month old I think it'll just get funner and funner.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you.. In our family ( no young kids anymore ) my parents are more about the actual dinner and the spending time with my parents, sister and brother in law who i dont see very often. We have capped our presents at 50 bucks a person not to keep costs down so much but just to actually enjoy christmas for the get together not so much a materialistic approach.

Of course we put up a tree and have some decorations, but the best part of Christmas for me is having the family go out for a ride all together . Im really trying to get the mrs into riding so its a good chance to do this! :d

We've been cutting back on our spending on presents at Christmas and instead we all go through our cupboards and grab food that we really dont need and put it all together at the farm and give it to the food bank to support those that really need it, especially since its Christmas.

Dan

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Arlene and I have a good thing going....

Every 2nd year we have all 4 kids then the opposing year we have none.

We will be spending christmas in a valemount cabin with my brother & Kaz, sledding during the day and getting to know some of the locals and other S&M members in the evenings with a nice home cooked christmas dinner.

the ones with the kids are more trying... christmas eve at the farm in Gibbons, christmas morning at home chrismas dinner in bruderhiem etc..etc... but it's all about the family especially the kids and of course the food.

We try to capp what we spend on the kids and tend to buy family presents, gift certs for skiing, movies, tri-liesure ect... Arlene and I usually only spend $50 or so on each other, as we'd rather spend our money on trips and activities....

It is wayyyyy to commercialized, but so is everything now days, it is what you make it....

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
I only love Christmas for the kids...the reaction and the innocence and magic for Santa. Once you get old enough to understand that it costs money for those presents and Santa is actually the guy holding down the couch the magic is lost.

I used to love going skidooing, sledding and skiing as a kid on christmas but lately its hard when there is no snow.

My dad also passed around christmas but has a great tradition that I like to carry on and its to give a needy family some extra love on christmas...whether it is some extra money or food donation or just a little help. It always makes me feel better!

and this year....I have a 2 toy limit present much to my kids dismay!

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only love Christmas for the kids...the reaction and the innocence and magic for Santa. Once you get old enough to understand that it costs money for those presents and Santa is actually the guy holding down the couch the magic is lost.

I used to love going skidooing, sledding and skiing as a kid on christmas but lately its hard when there is no snow.

My dad also passed around christmas but has a great tradition that I like to carry on and its to give a needy family some extra love on christmas...whether it is some extra money or food donation or just a little help. It always makes me feel better!

and this year....I have a 2 toy limit present much to my kids dismay!

Carefull about the Santa thing, Joey reads these posts.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Carefull about the Santa thing, Joey reads these posts.

How many people have told him that Jesus doesn't exist???? he still belives

Angie won't be able to sway him on the Sanata front... actually if I remember correctly joey views santa as sacreligous and an insult to the birth of christ... bet he'd change his tune pretty quick if Santa left a T-apex under the tree....

everyone knows that Jesus rode a Yamaha....

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Angie won't be able to sway him on the Sanata front... actually if I remember correctly joey views santa as sacreligous and an insult to the birth of christ... bet he'd change his tune pretty quick if Santa left a T-apex under the tree....

He sure did.

Attachments

• donkey_cap2.jpg
    donkey_cap2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 171

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If thats Joey with the hat on he better buy some sensodien tooth paste. It could be on sale at Walmart in lower Victoria. :nono:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny you should post this. It has been a topic of conversation in our circles too. Everyone planning, planning, planning. Dinners here and there and everwhere, families on each side arguing to decide where and when. Who to buy presents for and how much to spend.

I remember it being more about puting up lights, going out as a family to get a tree. Christams music and home baking while we decorated. Then nothing but snow forts, tobaggoning, sledding, games and just relaxing.

Family stress is already building. Told my wife that if it starts to get to her and my child I am telling everyone we are staying home....that our door is open if they want to come have FUN again. No one person will cook, no one will complain, everyone will contribute. Only a couple presents for the kids and they all get to play, play, play....adults too!

I want to take Christmas back!

My Christmas rant.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm not the only one feeling this way! Sad but true. Christmas should be about friends and family, and not about retail. I would love to go on a tropical vacation or go sleddin' (of course) Not on everyones list of things to do! Christmas should not be a finacial burden!

Really, once the kids are 20, do you need to have a tons of gifts for them? We just buy what we want so how do you give someone like my wife a surprize gift. Thank god my daughter is great at helping! I don't hate it, just wish it was was easier, and more fun than work! Guess we need some grandkids!!

Hopefully we get some snow and I can get some vintage stuff out and pound around on then for a while.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas season!

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's only as complicated and commercial as we make it... I love christmas.

Rhino Rick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love Christmas ................. we decorate the house, love putting up the tree sipping my eggnog and watching the wife and kids decorate!! It's an event!! We invite our entire family over on the 24th, not huge but about 45-50 people feed them a turkey dinner and have a great time!!
Then Christmas day is a relaxing time opening a couple of gifts and then usually doing something!! Sledding, quadding, fire outside ... what ever. It's all about family!!!
Don't take it for granted because one day it will be gone!! Cherish the time ya got!! :beer::d:beer:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I love Christmas ................. we decorate the house, love putting up the tree sipping my eggnog and watching the wife and kids decorate!! It's an event!! We invite our entire family over on the 24th, not huge but about 45-50 people feed them a turkey dinner and have a great time!!
Then Christmas day is a relaxing time opening a couple of gifts and then usually doing something!! Sledding, quadding, fire outside ... what ever. It's all about family!!!
Don't take it for granted because one day it will be gone!! Cherish the time ya got!! :beer::d:beer:

That damn grinch and his two sizes too small heart......

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score

does that mean Joey is JW??

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's only as complicated and commercial as we make it... I love christmas.

I agree 10x. Birthdays, Easter, Halloween...don't really mean sh!t to me, but Christmas is my favorite time of the year. I love how excited my girls are the whole week before. Since my family moved to the island 4 years ago, it kind of makes it tough to get together, but we do our best. The kids get retarded spoiled, but the adults do a $50 Chinese gift exchange. It's a lot of fun. We are staying home this year with only my wife's mother coming over, so it should be quite, but it will still be awesome.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I love Christmas too, and your description is how is should be. It can be the most relaxing time of the year for me. Problem is too much family, too spread out, and too much pressure to exchange gifts. Everyone needs a time out.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Christmas is about helping others and family time.
Ours has changed alot now the girls have moved.They go to the boyfriends families as well as ours.

Working all of xmas.

Val loves xmas decorating and collecting snowmen.:eek:

I enjoy working at the food bank and Santa's anonymous.

Only as stressful as a person makes it..

My :twocents:

And have fun.....

Top Bottom