Check your sled!!!!!!!

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took a look at mine today as well... With all this commotion I decided to remove my aluminum plate to see how everything looked (I had metal filings sitting on the chain-case and such so i wanted to take a peek on what was undertaken) and was not surprised to see an ABSOLUTE MESS.....

Here are some pics of the aftermath of the so called recall....

View attachment 149697Heres a pic of the Aluminum reinforcing bracket.... looks good....

View attachment 149698Heres the clearance throughout the oil tank valley and where that jackshaft travels... Looks goos so far... Then I decide to remove the bracket....

View attachment 149699Holy eff... What happened here?? I know as per the recall service bulletin they have to use the bracket as a template to drill a new mounting hole,but drilling a new hole will do no good if you screw it up!!!!!!! IF u can see the bottom half of the hole is torn apart, still allowing the tank to move... It wont move down onto the fuel lines mind you, BUT it will still move upwards, making the inner part of the tank (closest to the jack-shaft) drop, causing a possible scenario that Young-Gun has already gone through.....

IMO it wouldnt take much to "pop" the plastic upwards out of the new hole drilled (cuz there is no bottom) and then your back to square one, having a loose oil tank, having a sharp piece of aluminum jarring and bouncing against the tank, and also risking rubbing through the oil tank if the tank somehow got pushed upwards out of the "modified mounting location.......

Might be worth it to check your recall work peeps!!

just to make things a little funnier, I found this little quote in the Ski-Doo mag about the design process...

View attachment 149700 I just love the part of "drafting and re-drafting" and "Designing and re-designing" ..... Makes me crack up!!!!
Well you got me curious and I went outside to take a look. Same ch!t!!!!!!! Going to look into it a bit more tomorrow. How the heck did " BRP " come up with that. Do the Spin Doctors think we are drunk 24/7. When I pulled the bolt out that was holding ( the high tensile aluminum washer), the tank sprung back to its original hole. So lets screw the hole up and put a bunch of tension on the oil tank as well . I am not looking forward to when I dig a little farther tomorrow. When I grow up I want to be a ENGINEER for BRP.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I decided to go back to the fuel line thread to read the recall procedure and looks like it was done as per instructions. BUT DIDN"T anyone question what they were doing? What do you think it costs to build a ( GOOD?) sled these days. $11000 and I think thats too high,+ 2-3000 pure profit > we get a recall costing BRP 1/2 hour for mechanic (20 to 30 Dollars ). We are done Guys, we have used up Our 3% good will . Come on BRP you can do better!!!! If my numbers are out to lunch please insert proper figures I"M done for today!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I decided to go back to the fuel line thread to read the recall procedure and looks like it was done as per instructions. BUT DIDN"T anyone question what they were doing? What do you think it costs to build a ( GOOD?) sled these days. $11000 and I think thats too high,+ 2-3000 pure profit > we get a recall costing BRP 1/2 hour for mechanic (20 to 30 Dollars ). We are done Guys, we have used up Our 3% good will . Come on BRP you can do better!!!! If my numbers are out to lunch please insert proper figures I"M done for today!

When I called about this scenario (I called a few stores across Ab and Sk) the most common reply was. "More often than not riders accidently swap gas caps and oil caps to different tanks...causing over pressurisation of oil tank...causing it to swell and then leads to failure." Im no genius but the threads are totally different sizes no...? Not sure how un educated some shops think their customers are but I NEVER fill up with fuel with the side panel open and oil tank open at the same time......

Any one else do this....?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I called about this scenario (I called a few stores across Ab and Sk) the most common reply was. "More often than not riders accidently swap gas caps and oil caps to different tanks...causing over pressurisation of oil tank...causing it to swell and then leads to failure." Im no genius but the threads are totally different sizes no...? Not sure how un educated some shops think their customers are but I NEVER fill up with fuel with the side panel open and oil tank open at the same time......

Geeez they look the same size. Now I've gotta check in the morning.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Threads are the same happens more than you would think. Especially in 2008 we had leaky oil tanks around the threads but it wouldn't leak with the gas cap on the oil tank so naturally lots of people switched them and probly still do out of habit

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
Big-ballz thanks for your post. In your second photo do you see how the oil tank fits into the aluminum bar. I am unsure after seeing that photo and looking at my sled how the oil tank would even lower after the recall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oops sorry, that pic was with the bracket taken off of the tank... i wanted to see what the fitment looked like without the bracket installed and just the factory ORIGINAL hole was used...
DSCN2298.jpg
This pic is with the recall uninstalled
DSCN2297.jpg
this pic is with the Recall installed

The tank is clearly stressed into a position that it does not want to be in....

Hope that makes sense now...

Last edited:

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Threads are the same happens more than you would think. Especially in 2008 we had leaky oil tanks around the threads but it wouldn't leak with the gas cap on the oil tank so naturally lots of people switched them and probly still do out of habit

Learn something new everyday....

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you got me curious and I went outside to take a look. Same ch!t!!!!!!! Going to look into it a bit more tomorrow. How the heck did " BRP " come up with that. Do the Spin Doctors think we are drunk 24/7. When I pulled the bolt out that was holding ( the high tensile aluminum washer), the tank sprung back to its original hole. So lets screw the hole up and put a bunch of tension on the oil tank as well . I am not looking forward to when I dig a little farther tomorrow. When I grow up I want to be a ENGINEER for BRP.

Breathe pops lol!!!!!!!!!

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took mine after the recall to vale for a couple days, No broken fitting after a couple tumbles and impacts, and no oil puddle or residue anywhere. Tomorrow ill be checking these problem areas out to see what mine looks like but so far so good. Its too bad the recall pieces and fabrication makes our new sleds look all hacked up though. Personally id rather have a redesigned oil tank thats a little smaller that increases clearance in these trouble areas since these sleds use so little oil. Not impressed BRP!

Last edited:

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
I took mine after the recall to vale for a couple days, No broken fitting after a couple tumbles and impacts, and no oil puddle or residue anywhere. Tomorrow ill be checking these problem areas out to see what mine looks like but so far so good. Its too bad the recall pieces and fabrication makes our new sleds look all hacked up though. Personally id rather have a redesigned oil tank thats a little smaller that increases clearance in these trouble areas since these sleds use so little oil. Not impressed BRP!

The re-vamped oil tank (by the time all this mess is all figured out) probably will end up being cheaper for BRP in the end.... Seeing is the wasted time to do this Recall, the Engineering to design this recall, the idle time that consumers sleds just sit in the shed, but most of all, the staining of BRP 's reputation....

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The re-vamped oil tank (by the time all this mess is all figured out) probably will end up being cheaper for BRP in the end.... Seeing is the wasted time to do this Recall, the Engineering to design this recall, the idle time that consumers sleds just sit in the shed, but most of all, the staining of BRP 's reputation....

Doo-laide stains...... thats a good FYI.... lol

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I checked out my piles tank to shaft clearance and their not touching but their dam close!!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well fawk... guess the dealers/techs dont give a fawk this is so mickey mouse I havent had mine in as of yet and Im almost scared its like the sled comes back worse from the dealer NO ONE seems to care.... fawk mine came damaged from day 1 and now Im a bit frustrated I also said Im in no hurry to pick up the sled go figure I get one of the first ones with all the updates coming out the same day I picked it up fawk Im annoyed

ohh and I never knew if you dont do the first service at the dealer it voids warranty that's also good to know like Im a fawking mind reader or something like really

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I definitely felt better before with my rubber spacer between the oil tank and fuel tank rather then this rigged up crap goin on in there now

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well fawk... guess the dealers/techs dont give a fawk this is so mickey mouse I havent had mine in as of yet and Im almost scared its like the sled comes back worse from the dealer NO ONE seems to care.... fawk mine came damaged from day 1 and now Im a bit frustrated I also said Im in no hurry to pick up the sled go figure I get one of the first ones with all the updates coming out the same day I picked it up fawk Im annoyed

ohh and I never knew if you dont do the first service at the dealer it voids warranty that's also good to know like Im a fawking mind reader or something like really

The recall works just fine take a breath. It's not ideal but it allows us to keep riding and it happened relatively quick.

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya in the wrong places. Now my panels are a pain to open and everything is under flex. The little spacer i made helt the two seperated without any side effects

Top Bottom