CBC Interviews Mike Weigele

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread and it probably wasn't the best place for it so I'm making it's own thread with an update:

I listen to CBC radio every day when I'm working cause it's the only channel I get up here on my drive to and from work. This afternoon they made a phone call to Mike Weigele on one of there talk shows so we could all listen to how bad off his operation is at the expense of the sledders who are ruining the mountain experience for his customers. There was no attempt to contact anyone from the sledders side to get the other half of the story, total BS
:rant:

Here's a link to the show from this afternoon, hope it works cause I've never tried the link thingy before.

Last edited:

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the letter I sent to the CBC concerning this radio show. It will probably fall on deaf ears, but if you don't try then you've already failed.

I listen to CBC Radio every day that I am working, both to and from work (1 hour each way). I have been doing this for 8 years now and usually listen to anything that is on because it's great stuff. Today I was listening to Rebecca Zandbergen make a phone call and interview with heli ski operator Mike Wiegele. I think these types of issues definitely need to get some air time and should be dealt with, but how can we make an informed decision when we only hear one side of the story. I was listening to the interview expecting to hear Ms Zandbergen make another phone call to someone from the snowmobilers side in the area affected to get there views on this issue. This sure looks like CBC is giving preferential treatment to a company at the expense of snowmobilers, many of which are taxpaying citizens of this province. Please do some research of the area Mr. Wiegele operates in and interview someone from the sledding community there. I would bet someone from the industry there would be very willing to speak to Mr. Wiegele's accusations. A good starting point for a contact would be the local snowmobile club.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the reply from the CBC:

Hey Shane! Thanks for the note. We do indeed plan on following up. Sometimes interviews just don't all come together at once, so it's balance over time instead of back to back. Expect to hear the other side this week.

Josh

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes good on yah for fallowing up on this matter. Seems like the squeaky wheel gets the grease and the sledding wheel goes dry because for some reason as the mass uneducated public goes there is no room for motor sports...is this the politically correct future were seeing ahead of us.
is this what people expect in the future? Well I may be attacking this as a red neck but as I see it I will continue doing what I've been doing for the last 30 years and do it where ever I feel. Free country and all, lol or is it?
thanks for the post.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the reply from the CBC:

Hey Shane! Thanks for the note. We do indeed plan on following up. Sometimes interviews just don't all come together at once, so it's balance over time instead of back to back. Expect to hear the other side this week.

Josh
Lets hope that they do follow up.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he sounds completely ridiculous, id hope most people could see thru his back and forth nonsense.
Its pretty evident when listening to that interview that he has no real leg to stand on and that hes just a rambling old man out of touch with how the world works these days, upset that he's not making the huge profits of years past.

then he calls out varda?,,,,hopefully curtis will reach out to cbc for the counter to this interview because im sure out of anybody for what ive seen will be able to shed some real light on the issues to the public and come off professional for the sledding community.

Hey Rambley McRambleson you dont own the mountains!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Not familier with the areas he runs his business out of but does all this take part on crown land and he doesn't feel he should share the land because he is trying to exploit a business out of it? or is this illegal sledding on land he owns/leases?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I found a map of all his runs with all thoses runs he has mapped out he would be lucky to see a single snowmobile track once a month and if he did he would just move over to the next one 10seconds away

Wowsers I see what he is trying to protect

Shoulder Season
Mid Season
Peak Season
Tour #DateRate (pp)
30030-Nov to 07-Dec$10,010
30121-Dec to 28-Dec
30214-Dec to 21-Dec
30321-Dec to 28-Dec
30428-Dec to 04-Jan$10,780
30504-Jan to 11-Jan$11,669
30611-Jan to 18-Jan$12,453
30718-Jan to 25-Jan$13,356

30825-Jan to 01-Feb
30901-Feb to 08-Feb
31008-Feb to 15-Feb
31115-Feb to 22-Feb
31222-Feb to 01-Mar
31301-Mar to 08-Mar
31408-Mar to 15-Mar
31515-Mar to 22-Mar
31622-Mar to 29-Mar
31729-Mar to 05-Apr$12,026
31805-Apr to 12-Apr
31912-Apr to 19-Apr
32019-Apr to 26-Apr
BOOK YOUR PACKAGE
Prices quoted in Canadian dollars and are subject to change without notice. Prices are also subject to applicable taxes.
Please note: Mike Wiegele Helicopter Skiing reserves the right to add a fuel surcharge to any of our ski packages in the instance of a significant increase to fuel costs. In the case that there is a significant decrease in costs, we will also reflect this with a savings.

Elite Heliski Package
Private & Semi-Private Heliski Packages
Women Only Heliski Package
First Timer Heliski Package

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a map of all his runs with all thoses runs he has mapped out he would be lucky to see a single snowmobile track once a month and if he did he would just move over to the next one 10seconds away

Wowsers I see what he is trying to protect

Shoulder Season
Mid Season
Peak Season
Tour #DateRate (pp)
30030-Nov to 07-Dec$10,010
30121-Dec to 28-Dec
30214-Dec to 21-Dec
30321-Dec to 28-Dec
30428-Dec to 04-Jan$10,780
30504-Jan to 11-Jan$11,669
30611-Jan to 18-Jan$12,453
30718-Jan to 25-Jan$13,356
30825-Jan to 01-Feb
30901-Feb to 08-Feb
31008-Feb to 15-Feb
31115-Feb to 22-Feb
31222-Feb to 01-Mar
31301-Mar to 08-Mar
31408-Mar to 15-Mar
31515-Mar to 22-Mar
31622-Mar to 29-Mar
31729-Mar to 05-Apr$12,026
31805-Apr to 12-Apr
31912-Apr to 19-Apr
32019-Apr to 26-Apr
BOOK YOUR PACKAGE
Prices quoted in Canadian dollars and are subject to change without notice. Prices are also subject to applicable taxes.
Please note: Mike Wiegele Helicopter Skiing reserves the right to add a fuel surcharge to any of our ski packages in the instance of a significant increase to fuel costs. In the case that there is a significant decrease in costs, we will also reflect this with a savings.

Elite Heliski Package
Private & Semi-Private Heliski Packages
Women Only Heliski Package
First Timer Heliski Package

Do you get to keep the helicopter when your done? Wow no wonder he wants to keep it all to himself. Must be nice to roll that kinda coin off OUR back country.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey good for him if he can make that kinda coin. Just dont run sledders off the hill so you can have it all. Greedy bastage. With a helicopter there is no reason he should even see a sled all year...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He has tons of terrain away from sledders which we can never touch but he likes the close areas to his lodge to save fuel as it's big bucks. So he likes the sled areas which are close to the highway and close to his lodge. Which happen to be some of the more popular riding areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunitely i agree with the guy, seen it my self.
Give a guy a motorized toy and he thinks he has the right and can do anything, like ride all over the mountians, inclueding out of boundry areas. Seen this with ATV's, dumbasses running in sensitive meadows...for the cheap thrill of getting muddy. Meadows that will take YEARS to repair after dumbass tore it up.
I've sledded Blue river and Valmount for year's and now avoid these area's because of all the moron's that seem to collect there, the signs are well marked and there is plenty of info. that indicate the riding area's yet there are those that think it doesn't apply to them or maybe they are to stupid to read.....only takes a few to ruin it for every one else.
Blue river is not the only place with these issues, Revelstoke is another big area that has the same problem. Morons insist in riding in closed or out of bound area's.
I love sledding and been at it since the 70's, but i certainly don't like the attitude some have about there RIGHT's when it effects others in a negative way. The mountian's are big enough for all so learn to respect other's and other will respect you.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give a guy a motorized toy and he thinks he has the right and can do anything, like ride all over the mountians, inclueding out of boundry areas. Seen this with ATV's, dumbasses running in sensitive meadows...for the cheap thrill of getting muddy. Meadows that will take YEARS to repair after dumbass tore it up.
I've sledded Blue river and Valmount for year's and now avoid these area's because of all the moron's that seem to collect there, the signs are well marked and there is plenty of info. that indicate the riding area's yet there are those that think it doesn't apply to them or maybe they are to stupid to read.....only takes a few to ruin it for every one else.
Blue river is not the only place with these issues, Revelstoke is another big area that has the same problem. Morons insist in riding in closed or out of bound area's.
I love sledding and been at it since the 70's, but i certainly don't like the attitude some have about there RIGHT's when it effects others in a negative way. The mountian's are big enough for all so learn to respect other's and other will respect you.

He is after our sled designated areas. chappel creek is a prime example. popular snowmobile riding area, popular heli skiing area. if you think for one second he wouldnt love to have the entire thing to himself and will do anytthing in his power to make it happen you would be wrong. i highly doubt he is running into incursions every day in motorized closures. around here compliance is pretty good i really dont know what your talking about. sure you will see some boundaries pushed when it hasnt snowed for 2 months but other than that ive been noticing alot of compliance.
the difference is we are legally aloud into many of the areas he is legally aloud to ski and wants to ski he just thinks they should be for him alone. we are being forced into shrinking zones in a growing sport. its almost like they are designing it to fail on us. the other sad thing is that 1 man can cause so much trouble and dig so deep into the government but 459873425987349758 wealthy snowmobilers stand back and watch this one man destroy it for all of us. .

with the amount of area he has available to him i find it extremely hard to beleive he is having issues in non motorized areas. just a thought

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

What do you care if some dink "owns" that meadow and you arent allowed in there to enjoy it? Closing and purchasing area's for the purpose of keeping people out is just as bad as destroying it in my opinion... Nobody can enjoy it either way.

Top Bottom