Cat guy for 25 years maybe a Doo guy next year

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may have blown a crank or a bearing in my 2010 M8 at Revy this week. So planning on snowchecking a M8 153" for next season I rented one. I blew 2 belts and the secondary in first half hour of powder riding, (never blew a belt on my 2010 M8 or my 2007 M1000). Next day we take out 2 sleds a 2012 Doo x 154" and a 2012 Pro 155". Now I had never ridden a doo much and when i did never liked it or couldn't get comfortable with it, but after spending most a day on it I got to like it. Spent some time on the pro, didn't mind it but i didn't feel like i could put it exactly where i wanted. Today my feeling is that I will snow check a Summit x. If I could figure out how to post video i'd send it.

You won't be unhappy if you go for the '13 XM...I had a chance to take a real good rip on Stephy's up in Revy 2 weekends ago and it was effortless to ride and the ETEC makes very linear power. I'm riding a 2012 RMK Assault and really like it too...it's a tough call for me, as I CAN put my PRO exactly where I want to and have never got to know a sled like I have my PRO. Can't go wrong either way:)

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i,ve had both too,, i currently have a 163,,next sled will be a 154 tho,,,163 i do not need... a 174 might be great for some guys too..but not for me... what ever floats your boat i guess...

ps next time your in revy go hire Mark for the day and see what a 154can do... Revelestoke Snowmobile tours 250-837-5200 :beer:

Last edited:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i,ve had both too,, i currently have a 163,,next sled will be a 154 tho,,,163 i do not need... a 174 might be great for some guys too..but not for me... what ever floats your boat i guess...

ps next time your in revy go hire Mark for the day and see what a 154can do... Revelestoke Snowmobile tours 250-837-5200 :beer:

I know M.S and like I said my 163 boat floats better than a 154. To each their own.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You won't be unhappy if you go for the '13 XM...I had a chance to take a real good rip on Stephy's up in Revy 2 weekends ago and it was effortless to ride and the ETEC makes very linear power. I'm riding a 2012 RMK Assault and really like it too...it's a tough call for me, as I CAN put my PRO exactly where I want to and have never got to know a sled like I have my PRO. Can't go wrong either way:)

My Doo's gonna beat the chit out of your Poo.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just brought a 2012 cat to westlock with a broken drive shaft on Monday and popped engine. HMMMMMMMMMMM

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just brought a 2012 cat to westlock with a broken drive shaft on Monday and popped engine. HMMMMMMMMMMM
Excellent. I gather you are friends with the poor rider who owns the sled? More info, please. Would love to hear how he blew both at once...

bailer

Reaction score
I am a doo guy for the last two sleds ('05 rev, '08 xp) and will most likely get a '13 xm (and Yamaha before that). But....for the record, two of the guys I ride with are on the '12 proclimb 800 and 1100t. Both of these sleds have been flawless and very impressive. Just thought I would share my unbiased opinion.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you ride the same brand for 25 years? Let me guess, cat was #1 for all of those years.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seriously, still waiting to hear the cause of the engine and driveshaft failure at the same time... You can be sure it had NOTHING to do with the rider launching and landing on something solid with throttle pinned, and then holding it WOT till it grenaded... I am genuinely interested to see what possibly could have taken out the engine and driveshaft at the same moment...
By the way, I am not brand biased at all - every machine has it's advantages and disadvantages over the competition. I've also ridden every brand of sled currently produced (as well as a bunch that don't exist anymore). I make my purchasing decision based on what sled fits ME best, value for the money, reliability, and most importantly, good dealer support - something that is getting rarer every season. Internet "failures" on a product are not a reliable source of information, or an indication of how a certain model will perform. Sleds are mass produced just like cars, and parts are supplied by the vendor with the lowest bid. It's actually amazing that the machines being sold today work as well as they do, especially when you throw in "the human factor" on assembly lines and the end user.

416magnum

Reaction score
Seriously, still waiting to hear the cause of the engine and driveshaft failure at the same time... You can be sure it had NOTHING to do with the rider launching and landing on something solid with throttle pinned, and then holding it WOT till it grenaded... I am genuinely interested to see what possibly could have taken out the engine and driveshaft at the same moment...
By the way, I am not brand biased at all - every machine has it's advantages and disadvantages over the competition. I've also ridden every brand of sled currently produced (as well as a bunch that don't exist anymore). I make my purchasing decision based on what sled fits ME best, value for the money, reliability, and most importantly, good dealer support - something that is getting rarer every season. Internet "failures" on a product are not a reliable source of information, or an indication of how a certain model will perform. Sleds are mass produced just like cars, and parts are supplied by the vendor with the lowest bid. It's actually amazing that the machines being sold today work as well as they do, especially when you throw in "the human factor" on assembly lines and the end user.

What happened was I blew a rod bearing, did some damage to a piston and also we sent the crank shaft away to get it checked or rebuilt, (couldn't find a new crank shaft) Possibly what happened was i was getting revs of 8500 to 8600 at times on stock weights, which was to high but the guy fixing it thinks i would have to have to have been reving higher than that to do the damage.

Top Bottom