Can Am Outlander, 2009? or wait for 2010?

ram_it

Reaction score
We I ahva ebeen looking at the new Can Am quads and I think I like the Outlander 800R EFI XT. I was looking at the dealer and its all 2009 stuff but all the website shows is the 2010 stuff. I see that for 2010 they are going to be putting on power steering, a onboard air compressor that can be used for tires, a new adjustable air suspension, a new camo pattern (I would be buying camo), a new set of wheels for the camo, and the new QE visco-lock front end. It all seems like some pretty good improvements. I have never owned a quad in my life. Is this just fluff? Should I just buy a 2009 or wait and get a 2010? When will 2010 units be on the showroom floor? I plan on using this in the Sierra Nevada. Its mostly going to be for fun. Cruisng around campgrounds, local trails. I may try the rubicon and some mud but moslty just a trail cruiser with some rock stuff thrown in. Also, can anyone comment on the max seating. Is the longer wheelbase better or does it hurt you at all for serious wheeling? I want to be able to take my 4 year old daughter on it with me but I think that she is small enought to have her sit in front of me. Has anyone got in trouble for doing that?

ram_it

Reaction score
Would the Polaris Sportsman 850 with EPS or the Grizzly 700 be good choices as well. I have heard some questionable stuff about the Polaris.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would put in an order for the 2010!!
I enjoy the longer wheelbase....my 4 yr old sits up front (Where I can feel where he is)...but the 2-up seat is nice to have regardless...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The two-up is just as capable as the regular version and actually better in the mud due to extra couple of inches. I would wait for the 2010 as the "fluff" is features many of us have been waiting for.....plus 71hp is industry tops.

ram_it

Reaction score
I must say that after being pointed to the Polaris Sportsman 850 XP, I am starting to lean toward that. More travel, more ground clearance, comprable power, can be had with power steering, a better locker and 4x4 system from what I can see and it can be bought now without waiting. The only thing on the new Can Am 2010 models that has me concerned is the air adjust suspension. I am not sure that I like the idea of air plumbing running to the shocks and relying on an air compressor. I am not saying it will have problems but I can just see where it opens up the potential. I am also concerned about the front locker. While they are claiming an quicker engagement, I have seen side by side comparisons of the outlander 800 front end to the polaris sportsman 850 (independantly done and not a OEM promo video). I must say the Can Am had some serious engagement issues while the polaris worked flawlessly. I am pretty brand un bias as I have never owned a quad before so I am pretty open to anything but I do want to get a good performing and handling quad and reliable. I am seeing a descent amount of people on some other forums that have made the jump from the outlander 800 to the 850 XT and have commented on how much less punishing the 850XT is. To me that it s a pretty big issue and want a plush suspension. Any other sto consider? Grizzly 700? I have seen another person on here give the nod to the brute force. It seems like really any of these quads will be great first timer quads.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go test drive a couple. Try the Poo850 then try an 09 Canned Ham.....I know which one you'll want.

ram_it

Reaction score
I would go test drive a couple. Try the Poo850 then try an 09 Canned Ham.....I know which one you'll want.

I am guessing by your signature you think I will like the Can Am. Can I ask why? I am asking not to challenge your thought but to try and learn as much as I can and things to look for. Since I have never owned one or ridden one in 15 years I relaly dont knwo what to be looking for in a quad. This is the reason I have come to this forum site. So far my decision is focusin on:

Suzuki King Quad with the new power steering when it comes out
2010 Can AM Outlander 800 XT
Polaris sportsman 850 XP
Yamaha Grizzly 700 with EPS

All of these seem to have something that attracts to them for one reason or another.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are all good quads.I would shy away from first year production features though like Can-Am power steering . Guys that buy the first year production stuff tend to be the real world test guinea pigs for second and third generation items. Just ask the original owners of the '08 XP'sor guys that bought first year Brute Forces that had to have unsafe steering components replaced. No fun having that stuff if it spends half of the first riding season in the shop then everyone pays the same price for a much improved version the following year.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are considering the camo in either the short or long wheel base the air suspension will not be an option. Thats only on the Max LTD 500 and 800. The new quicker engagement for the visco lock is a good thing though so i wouldn't worry about that.
I'm no expert on the sierra nevada but I believe thats a dessert (bone dry) how often is the quad going to be in 4x4? and how hard is it really going to be to steer? If it was me id grab the '09.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends on the price difference. im waiting for when the 2010's to come out hopefully they bring down the price on the 09's and buy and 09. but then again when the 09's came out the price on the 08's didnt move, in fact some dealers put them up. after a couple years of watching i think brp controls the prices of their quads closely to eliminate can am to can am competition

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am guessing by your signature you think I will like the Can Am. Can I ask why? I am asking not to challenge your thought but to try and learn as much as I can and things to look for. Since I have never owned one or ridden one in 15 years I relaly dont knwo what to be looking for in a quad. This is the reason I have come to this forum site. So far my decision is focusin on:

Suzuki King Quad with the new power steering when it comes out
2010 Can AM Outlander 800 XT
Polaris sportsman 850 XP
Yamaha Grizzly 700 with EPS

All of these seem to have something that attracts to them for one reason or another.

I was a surveyor for many years and a quad enthusiast since then....had the pleasure to ride and try just about every machine ever made over the years. I have settled on the Can Ams for now. You're going to spend big money. Go test drive each machine....only makes sense. Wouldn't worry about the power steering on the Outty as a first year thing...the same unit has been on the Spyders for a while.

ram_it

Reaction score
If you are considering the camo in either the short or long wheel base the air suspension will not be an option. Thats only on the Max LTD 500 and 800. The new quicker engagement for the visco lock is a good thing though so i wouldn't worry about that.
I'm no expert on the sierra nevada but I believe thats a dessert (bone dry) how often is the quad going to be in 4x4? and how hard is it really going to be to steer? If it was me id grab the '09.

Actually some of the toughest rock crawling is in the Sierra Nevda. We have the Rubicon just a short drive from my house along with the fourdyce trail all heavy mountain forests. Thats pretty tough serious rock crawling. Then just down the road we have the Nevada desert (what I think your reffering to) and the power steering is not an issue there. I am also a short drive away from some sand dunes as well as tight wooded trails. As far as how often will it be in 4x4? Its hard to determine that since i have never owned a quad or ridden one in 15 years but my guess is it will spend a fair amount of time in 4x4 if not the majrity of the time.

RENEGADEGUY

Reaction score
i am on my 3rd renegade now... its not an outlander but it runs the same power plant and all of them i get about a year and a half out of before (leaky gaskets, bushings and numerous other things)... i will buy another one in a heart beat !! awesome power will take you anywere and probably places you shouldnt be lol. eats brutes and polaris's for lunch and as for the grizz well we wont go there them yammi boys get pretty sensitve... to each his own cant wait for the renegade 1000 ahah :beer:

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since know one else has spoken up about the Grizzly I will give you some insite.I owned 2 700's and still have one [traded one for a rhino]The Yamaha quads are the lightest most dependable bigbores out there.There are numerous reasons that they win just about any bigbore shootout.The power steering is an awsome feature and the rest are just playing catch up.The 4wd system on a grizz is hands down the best on the market as well as its hold back feature going down hills.Yes in a straight line the BF750,Caned ham 800 and 850 poo will be ahead until they break while your still riding.Like others said try before you buy but nothing is as reliable as the Yamaha grizzly.If your going to do a lot of two up riding I would opt for a dedicated two up machine and unfortunatly the Jap brands don;t have one

bellisangel

Reaction score
We I ahva ebeen looking at the new Can Am quads and I think I like the Outlander 800R EFI XT. I was looking at the dealer and its all 2009 stuff but all the website shows is the 2010 stuff. I see that for 2010 they are going to be putting on power steering, a onboard air compressor that can be used for tires, a new adjustable air suspension, a new camo pattern (I would be buying camo), a new set of wheels for the camo, and the new QE visco-lock front end. It all seems like some pretty good improvements. I have never owned a quad in my life. Is this just fluff? Should I just buy a 2009 or wait and get a 2010? When will 2010 units be on the showroom floor? I plan on using this in the Sierra Nevada. Its mostly going to be for fun. Cruisng around campgrounds, local trails. I may try the rubicon and some mud but moslty just a trail cruiser with some rock stuff thrown in. Also, can anyone comment on the max seating. Is the longer wheelbase better or does it hurt you at all for serious wheeling? I want to be able to take my 4 year old daughter on it with me but I think that she is small enought to have her sit in front of me. Has anyone got in trouble for doing that?
I just bought the 2009 500 Outlander and I love it, Also have a buddy with 2 of them, and he is very hard on them, he gives them a licken and they keep on tiken, I would recomend the Canam, but deal with dealer out of town, much cheaper that way, I got mine in Valleyview, $1000.00 cheaper than the city

on the fence

Reaction score
Ram-it I have an xp for sale if you want one 78miles on it. Went to outty 800 2010 with PS awsome bike

koolio-99

Reaction score
Picked up my 2010 Canam last week. I must say that the power steering is well worth it and the fact that you have the option to adjust it makes it that much better. It wold be tough to go back to armstrong steering. I owned 2 sportsmen and there is nothing better in my mind that rides as nice. Good luck

Jonnyrotten

Reaction score
I just bought a 09, new out of the crate from a dealer. Can am 880 XT.
The ride is Crazy, tons of power and the thing floats over small obsticals like they are not even there !
Did a ton of research before I bought it and got it because it came out on top for every test they gave it.
One small problem though......... I babied it a little bit just because of the "break in period", no heavy mud or deep water............
The front end started to make a grinding sound when it was in four wheel drive.
Now it's been in the shop for the 10 hour break in and waiting for new front end parts. the parts have been on back order for 3 weeks.
I have not given up on it totally, but not very happy about it. Can am is paying for it, but I sure hate not being able to ride the thing. I hope it's not a sign for what's to come.
I also have a Honda 400 EX that has been through hell and it has never failed on me ? Honda's are tough as nails !

Top Bottom