Can Am Keys, won't start when broken.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Lahey99 and myself with our respective other halves, went camping and quadding this weekend, camping at Wabamum and quadding at Stanger Hills. All was going great till half way through the trailm disaster struck. while going through some skeg found a really deep hole and dropped the rear end so that the front was pointing to the sky, while rocking the quad trying to get it out a tree branch snapped the key in half. Can Ams WILL NOT start without the chip, The D.E.S.S system works great. fortunately the winch still worked. Together with Josh's King Quad and my winch we pulled, hauled, and bullied the quad back to the staging area, took us 3 and half hours. pulling 4 people and one quad, the King got us home. What was also amazing is how long the battery lasted on the Can Am as we used it alot. it still had enough juice to get the quad on the truck. My thanks goes out to Steph and Josh for pulling our respective butts out of there. Nice to know that there are people out there who won't leave you behind!

Lahey99

Reaction score
Oh what a day it was..... Highlight of my life pulling an outty through the trails/mud holes. Made my day.

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's approx $90 for the key and programming.....Ya just gotta know the correct way to back into the store to get one

Last edited by a moderator:

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reason why I always keep the spare with me on the bike. I'm never going to hear the end of it the day I have to get towed back. I'm the only one in the group I ride with with a Can Am

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's approx $90 for the key and programming.....Ya just gotta know the correct way to back into the store to get one

Ya we never charged for programming of spare key.

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i broke the key in half on my Renegade while up at the old look out at Prairie Creek, took a knife and cut off most of the plastic so just metal was showing, touched it into the other 1/2 still in the quad (after about 50 tries) and it started. never turned it off the rest of the day, what a pain in the azz but got home without being towed.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah as Josh said the spare was back in the trailer, as it was between my winch and his, we had to pull and bully the quads through the skeg, not entirely sure one quad would have made it with just two people. I do not want to do that again. Spare in the quad at all times is a must now. Tried paring the plastic down but just could not make contact. was a very tough decision to either pull the quad or leave the girls behind. Just kidding. sorta!:ignore:

newboro3

Reaction score
I have bought 2 outlanders at seperate times and neither one of them has come with a spare key. Both machines were from the same dealer though. Are they supposed to come with a spare key and if so i wonder if this particular dealer is either keeping the keys for resale or they are just not thorough with there pdi program?

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have bought 2 outlanders at seperate times and neither one of them has come with a spare key. Both machines were from the same dealer though. Are they supposed to come with a spare key and if so i wonder if this particular dealer is either keeping the keys for resale or they are just not thorough with there pdi program?
No they don't come with a spare key.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddys 12 800 outlander did a tip over in the swamp a couple weeks back and his knee broke the key off, spare was in the truck 40 miles away, he'll never hear the end of it now.......... lol

Top Bottom