camp grounds in alberta

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went camping for the last week and found that the camp grounds have a reserved section that you can not camp in unless you reserve online or by phone... this costs you an extra $12... so this means if the camp ground's regular stalls are full and the reserve stalls are empty you need too call for the reservation to have that stall... now they are going to be changing all camp grounds to reserve only in a couple years.... so you will have too pay more money to camp or start backcountry camping... please send letters to the alberta goverment to stop this

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just another way to rip us off for more " Money " Parks Canada passes were $ 5.00 a year when i was a kid now they are $ 136.00 a year. I have no problem supporting the parks, but this is a cash grab ! Just like the bull sh!t of $7 to $8 dollars for a few pieces of Wet fire wood now a days ! :rant:

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Camp grounds are no fun anyway. too many rules and you cant ride you atvs/dirtbike. I guess if your going boating you are most likely going to be in a campground. Its just not my cup of tea.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went camping for the last week and found that the camp grounds have a reserved section that you can not camp in unless you reserve online or by phone... this costs you an extra $12... so this means if the camp ground's regular stalls are full and the reserve stalls are empty you need too call for the reservation to have that stall... now they are going to be changing all camp grounds to reserve only in a couple years.... so you will have too pay more money to camp or start backcountry camping... please send letters to the alberta goverment to stop this

yep thats so they do not have to actually have anybody doing anything at the actual campground itself. they can have 1 or 2 guys rollin around checkin site registry. use less people=less outgoing wages+ more fees = government screwin the little guy to get richer. jmo.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I have found a couple campgrounds we went to that do reserve online and there was no reservations left for that weekend. We just showed up at the campground and it was empty except the reserved sites were packed we camped at the far end and had no neighbors all weekend. Seems like alot of people only go when they have a reseverved site.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

https://reserve.albertaparks.ca/crrs/public/reservation/findCampsite.htm

Welcome to 2yrs ago :dunno:

I like the reserved sites,.. I can book them well in advance for my days off. You people complaining about an extra few dollars when you waste that on your TH coffees or extra chrome bling for your truck or ATV,..

Seriously what is an extra $10-$15 to guarantee camping for your family, quading or not,.. Besides,.. last weekend they had childrens activities that was held by parks employees and some volunteers in which my kids enjoyed--rain or not--.

I'm just about to book another couple weekends for the family, if you don't like the reserve sites,.. that's fine,.. leaves them open for others :)

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I like the reserved sites,.. I can book them well in advance for my days off. You people complaining about an extra few dollars when you waste that on your TH coffees or extra chrome bling for your truck or ATV,..

Seriously what is an extra $10-$15 to guarantee camping for your family, quading or not,.. Besides,.. last weekend they had childrens activities that was held by parks employees and some volunteers in which my kids enjoyed--rain or not--.

I'm just about to book another couple weekends for the family, if you don't like the reserve sites,.. that's fine,.. leaves them open for others :)

i am not beotching and i dont thing boots is either to the cost of the camping. it is more to the fact of i pull into "x" campground all regular sites are full. over 3/4 of reserve online, because nobody can work a friggen phone anymore,ones are open. the person at the park gate cannot rent one to you because you have to register online ot get it. So even though the site is empty and available you have no way to get it while you are already at the site. no cell service/wireless service etc. just sayin. sometimes and more often then not it is more of a pain in the azz than anything.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am not beotching and i dont thing boots is either to the cost of the camping. it is more to the fact of i pull into "x" campground all regular sites are full. over 3/4 of reserve online, because nobody can work a friggen phone anymore,ones are open. the person at the park gate cannot rent one to you because you have to register online ot get it. So even though the site is empty and available you have no way to get it while you are already at the site. no cell service/wireless service etc. just sayin. sometimes and more often then not it is more of a pain in the azz than anything.

Understandable, I guess it's more inadequate in larger populated areas,.. Does anyone check the website before they leave, just a thought?

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
When I was growing up, we decided on thursday that we would leave on friday to go camping(had to wait to see what the weather was going to be like). Any way we would show up at campground, usually at Pembina on said friday, paid and got a spot no problem. That was in the "70's. The '80's were okay to. There are more and more people in the province, but the government has not bothered to make more campsites or make existing ones larger. Thus creating this problem. The good old days of just showing up are long gone.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quite agree with the reserve system being good for the people that want to ensure that they get a spot. Howeverwouldn't it make more sense that when all the non reserve sites are full to open up the reserved for general use. At the manned sites they could very easily book them off but they don't and can be real stupid about it. There are still a number of areas that will reserve for you but don't charge extra for it like Watson creek by Cadomin. I started camping at the forestry sites when it was free, we freaked when they started charging 5 bucks a night wood included. AAhhhh those were the days. :deadhorse:

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is now common to Albeta Provincial Paks, up to 80% are pre booked and yes they are the good stalls. It used to be total chaos trying to get a stall. Now you book 90 days in advance, 97 once you learn to work the system and you get your stall.....the one you chose and not the left over one back in the bush like at private run sites which give you what they want. Wifey does the booking for the family reunion every year and we always get our stalls by the lake. Just be dam sure your're on line at 09:00 sharp. Our lake is prebooked by the second day of allowed booking, if you watch online spots come open for last minute sites all summer. Reserved sites prepaid will not be rerented unless a cancellation is given as the site is PAID for, hence open unused sites. Provincial parks are well kept, provide family learning activities and hot rodders are kept out! Way safer for kids as parks are ment to be preserved areas, worth every penny for me.
We just need more "designated" riding areas for quadders. Just don't expect any new areas to open up to quadders due to terrain damage, errosion and debris left each weekend. Like sledders we can be our own worst enemy sometimes.
In case you can't tell I am OK with the Parks system, just plan ahead if possible. They're just suiting the masses again.
Holy crap...in camp and bored or what:d

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out last weekend and pulled into the stall and wouldn't you know it...firepit full of garbage and 200' from the dumpster. Cigarret buts, plastic cups,rags and on the very bottom....a nice pile of dog chit. WTF is wrong with people...loosers of the world are everywhere!!!!

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the best ones I see is the same thing but the pit is still SMOLDERING! Didn't Slave Lake twig on anyone? Yes as far as we know it wasn't started by a camper but why take the chance?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quite agree with the reserve system being good for the people that want to ensure that they get a spot. Howeverwouldn't it make more sense that when all the non reserve sites are full to open up the reserved for general use. At the manned sites they could very easily book them off but they don't and can be real stupid about it. There are still a number of areas that will reserve for you but don't charge extra for it like Watson creek by Cadomin. I started camping at the forestry sites when it was free, we freaked when they started charging 5 bucks a night wood included. AAhhhh those were the days. :deadhorse:

wow it pobably took like a week to load the wagon for holidays back then as well. :d
that was a few days ago, did they offer a stall and feed for the horses to for the 5 bucks?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
When I was growing up, we decided on thursday that we would leave on friday to go camping(had to wait to see what the weather was going to be like). Any way we would show up at campground, usually at Pembina on said friday, paid and got a spot no problem. That was in the "70's. The '80's were okay to. There are more and more people in the province, but the government has not bothered to make more campsites or make existing ones larger. Thus creating this problem. The good old days of just showing up are long gone.

Pembina has to be one of the most difficult parks to get into now a days

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pembina was our go to campsight for the end of the year camping but now they close at the end of sept and aren't open until the end of april what the hell. We went out to Lovett river a couple of weeks ago when we at Cadomin. We had fond memories of the site when we were there in 92. Of course we were tenting it then with Ford Bronco II. We looked at it now and there is no way we could put our 22 foot trailer with a long box GM in any of those sites!

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
only the most popular camp sites are pre book, there are still like 100 provincial parks you can go to...

we went to rock lake for may long and no one even came to collect money, we still stuck it in the box

o and i sell bundled firewood if you dont like 7-11 wood bundles

Top Bottom