Bill 64 - Random Camping Proposed Fees

scesfiremedic

Reaction score
Another government cash grab! What’s next? I’m not opposed as long as the money actually goes to enforcement (kick the slobs out that are wrecking it for others).

http://cochranenow.com/articles/random-camping-in-the-eastern-slopes-will-no-longer-be-free

Heading to the Ghost Country for free random camping on Crown land will be a thing of the past if Bill 64 passes through the Alberta Legislative Assembly.
The Alberta Government has proposed establishing fees for random camping in the Eastern Slopes, including popular nearby locations.
Starting June 1, it is proposed each camper, 18 years and older, would be required to pay $23.25 plus GST for a 3-day camping pass and $33.25 plus GST for an annual pass.
The pass would be required to random camp on public lands in the Eastern Slopes from Grande Prairie to Waterton Lakes National Park and includes any random camping on Crown land west of Hwy. 22 (see map below).
The passes would have to be purchased in advance online or at any location selling fishing and hunting licences.
Alberta Environment and Parks minister Jason Nixon says the fees collected will be used to upgrade infrastructure, improve education, fund conservation officers on the ground, enhance public safety, and ensure better environmental and waste management.
Press secretary Paul Hamnett says net revenue from the passes is expected to reach $1.7 million in the first year and climb to $2.7 million in subsequent years as compliance increases.
Hamnett says fees haven't been charged for at least the last few decades, dating back to when it was administered by the Alberta Forestry Service.
"The popularity of random camping has grown substantially in recent years, resulting in increased activities that have an impact on the environment (i.e. damage to lands or garbage) and issues related to managing people, such as camping beyond 14 days (or squatting) and dealing with human waste," he says in a written statement.
The government previously announced the hiring of 50 additional parks and land employees, including 20 new conservation officers.
In March, the government also confirmed there would be two full-time recreation engagement officers in the Ghost this season. There was one last season.
Campers will be asked to show proof of payment (printed pass or mobile app) to enforcement officers if asked. Initially, campers may be provided information but compliance will come to be expected, and fines will be issued, if necessary.
The fees will not be charged if camping on public land outside of the camping pass area or in a campground, using public land for the day for other recreational activities, and accessing public land for authorized work or volunteer duties
First Nations people with Status cards will be exempt, and north of the Red Deer River it would not apply to Metis Settlement members, recognized Métis harvesters, and Aseniwuche Winewak Nation (Grande Cache area) members.

2614266C-7AA3-4A53-A50D-0310AB2C262C.jpg

Last edited:

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can get fawked!

Yeah they say it's to pay for garbage clean up. I know you can't catch everyone pigging it up out there, but when they do make them pay a crazy fine. But I think it's more just another way to get some government cash

As usual some are exempt, not sure why some who use it have to pay and some don't. Oh wait!... It's called equality in canada.

Last edited:

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This just just gave every retarded cityiot permission to go to the bush.Absolutely destroyed every area you’ll see,and believe me all these dummies had no idea they could do this till now.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a number of things that that money would be used for including garbage pick up and toilet cleaning. Guys will drop $300-$400 a weekend to sled, drop $200 at a Flames or Oilers game and $33.75 is to much for a yearly pass? I pay more than that at a provincial park for one night camping. If you can't afford it stay home and kick your dog if thats what makes you happy.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What toliet are they cleaning for me Im ****ting in the woods or in my camper? Is that per person, Per camper? What if Im sleeping in my truck??

Fawk it, Ill just pay the ticket if they bust me.....

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
33$ is not bad for a seasonal pass as long as it goes to what it is intended for and not general revenue. Last year i saw quite a mess while out/about. Cleaned up some stuff best i could but almost needed my full truck to go to the dump for some spots though. With the droves of peeps driven out of the cities because of the flu crisis lol, and most of them never being any further than the airport it was quite a mess all around. Like Sno said lots of peeps drop hundreds to watch a team etc.. and more to get to Powder etc.. etc.. Hope they let the outdoors people know in advance though, as i plan on being out long before June but would like to get a jump on it if they go ahead with this. Anyway thanks for the info members:)

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that it's come to this, but it's been shown time and time again people can't clean up after themselves when they believe no-one is watching, so unfortunately the few wreck it for all. Now we get to pay camping fees on un-maintained public lands.

Maybe the 14 day rule will actually get enforced, sure a piss off when you pull into an area a couple weeks in a row to see the same trailers sitting there that never get used.

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caroline, Alberta, Canadia, Earth, Milkyway
I personally welcome it if they get out and open up some of the trails that have been previously closed due to erosion and abuse. $35 for the year is a small price to pay if they actually follow through with what they are planning. Remember none of this would be required if people would just clean up their sh!t and stop destroying so many trails. I live out by Caroline and the destruction from last years heard of Corona campers was unreal! If $35 deters those donkeys from coming back out camping well that is a win right there.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is not as much as 25 litre of gas that a sled or sxs/quad uses a day.
Cheap if the money goes to the correct places.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Taxes are up across the board, payroll taxes, carbon taxes, liquor taxes. Government pissing money away on the most unproductive BS, while closing down productive buisness's.

And you guys like the idea of another fee? Holy ****, I think I must be one of those outliers. Trust me I could afford the 30$,,, Been camping out west of Red Deer for decades, but I think Id rather go camp in the Baja any ways... ya'll can have it....

Rant doneski....

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Giving this tyrannical POS out of control government exactly enough money to stay out of prison and not a nickel more. Enough of this garbage. You can't be a coward your whole life, let's stop taking this nonsense

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Taxes are up across the board, payroll taxes, carbon taxes, liquor taxes. Government pissing money away on the most unproductive BS, while closing down productive buisness's.

And you guys like the idea of another fee? Holy ****, I think I must be one of those outliers. Trust me I could afford the 30$,,, Been camping out west of Red Deer for decades, but I think Id rather go camp in the Baja any ways... ya'll can have it....

Rant doneski....

And governments who’s priorities are policies for those who don’t work and pay taxes.

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last few years the GF and I have been making an honest effort to do the whole "Share your Passions" with people who don't normally get to do that type of stuff. We purposely bought a larger trailer to bring other singles and couples. Normally we go for 4 days to get the whole experience. I just hope that having to pay $30 or 60 bucks isnt going to change peoples mind for this type of things. I'm not concerned with the GF and I, its the people who go on one trip a year that this is going to suck for.

That being said, if the CO's yell at people for not burying their **** id be happy.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that it's come to this, but it's been shown time and time again people can't clean up after themselves when they believe no-one is watching, so unfortunately the few wreck it for all. Now we get to pay camping fees on un-maintained public lands.

Maybe the 14 day rule will actually get enforced, sure a piss off when you pull into an area a couple weeks in a row to see the same trailers sitting there that never get used.

I agree that it’s a piss off.... but probably inevitable. I sure hope they actually have people to enforce on the ones that can’t seem to follow the rules and have good etiquette. The garbage is a disgrace... I just can not understand how people think that leaving a huge pile of crap is ok...?!! As for the overstaying... why do some people think it’s their right to hoard any particular location all season???? That’s the reason for the 14 day rule in the first place.... it’s these issues that the rules were made for in the first place.... some people just lack common decency and respect. In the old days.... they’d get a free ride to the train station....

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a user pay system that puts the money back into trail maintenance and cleanup....and for the people who would rather pay the fines, have an escalating scale...first offence $250... second $1000....we enjoy being on the doorstep of some fantastic wilderness we can use for our hobbies that are under continuous threat of being closed by the lefties. If we can demonstrate that we value it and are willing to contribute to its upkeep it takes some of the arguments away from them.

Top Bottom