C O's in choppers

deep blue

Reaction score
Snow and Mudders. Looking for help on this one. It appears that the Conservation Officers seem to have quite a heli budget this year. I have my suspicions that their heli rides are being subsidized by our local heli ski operator. How would we go about finding out if this is the case? Is there something in the freedom to information act that could expose this fact?

Its not like I can take my local police officer for a ride in my truck and bust all the people that have wronged me.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow and Mudders. Looking for help on this one. It appears that the Conservation Officers seem to have quite a heli budget this year. I have my suspicions that their heli rides are being subsidized by our local heli ski operator. How would we go about finding out if this is the case? Is there something in the freedom to information act that could expose this fact?

Its not like I can take my local police officer for a ride in my truck and bust all the people that have wronged me.

If this is true wouldn't that be considered a conflict of interest?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wouldn't it be better to follow the rules and not have to worry about getting busted!

i'm thinking pilot don't tell the co where to go, just provides the ride at the agreed upon price.

I agree. better to follow the rules and not worry about getting busted. As far as the pilot, leave him out of it, He is just doing a job he is getting paid to do. The CO accepting free helicopter rides is like a COP receiving a bribe. The local Heli-ski operation providing said ride is like the Mob paying off the Judge.

Just sayin'

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a guy a few years ago tellme he charged an opp officer with speeding in ontario, said it cost him $1500, cop got a $50 fine or something like that. he was quite happy with himself, i still to this day wonder what kind of moron the guy was. never did hire him, but made for an interesting story though

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a guy a few years ago tellme he charged an opp officer with speeding in ontario, said it cost him $1500, cop got a $50 fine or something like that. he was quite happy with himself, i still to this day wonder what kind of moron the guy was. never did hire him, but made for an interesting story though

I can see that. The satisfaction of making a point that law enforcement officers are not above the law. I don't know that I would want to spend that kind of money to make a point.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya , he made a point, possibly an enemy also, think it was a waste of money myself, but he was happy.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Where is the conflict of interest? Helping a law enforcement agency do its job is the right thing to do, no the wrong. Sledding in out of bounds area's is the wrong thing. If you get caught, you should be tar and feathered.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have the most EYEs in the SKIES in Blue River

There are upto 10 helicopter in the Blue River area flying for Mike Wiggley Heli Skiing and they can see exactly where you are --- you leave tracks...

Had some buddies stray off course following old tracks this season and Wiggleys copter called back to report them and guess who was at the trail head when they came down -- the Fish Cops...

Each one got a $250.00 fine and that was let off easy...

SO know where you are riding yourself... and do not just follow tracks

deep blue

Reaction score
CO's are public servants. They are there to protect the animals not commercial interests. It shocks me that no one is even questioning the "rules". Is it not ironic that the majority of cariboo closures are in the most frequently heli skied zones? And don't tell me that a Bell 212 doesn't scare animals. I am all for protecting the animals, but discriminating against which users are allowed to enjoy this resource is just wrong. If you want to shut it down then that should include Heli Skiing as well. Remember it is your RIGHT as a Canadian to have access to Crown land. It is a tenure holders priviledge. Lets get the priorities straight and start questioning this.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CO's are public servants. They are there to protect the animals not commercial interests. It shocks me that no one is even questioning the "rules". Is it not ironic that the majority of cariboo closures are in the most frequently heli skied zones? And don't tell me that a Bell 212 doesn't scare animals. I am all for protecting the animals, but discriminating against which users are allowed to enjoy this resource is just wrong. If you want to shut it down then that should include Heli Skiing as well. Remember it is your RIGHT as a Canadian to have access to Crown land. It is a tenure holders priviledge. Lets get the priorities straight and start questioning this.

Someone had a great map a couple years ago that overlaid caribou closures with heli ski tenure areas......anyone remeber who and when? Let's just say that the areas were close matches.

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, if your riding in a closure or out of bounds you should be held accountable for your actions. But in this case these riders were in a permited area with there memberships, permits, and maps in hand. The riders were told to leave the area till after the weekend, or until the matter could be sorted out. Meanwhile 2 other choppers circled above landed and clients started dropping lines.

Coincidence?

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree it sucks, BUT the reasons they use is not that we scare the caribou, like people say the heli does as well, it is that the wolves use our tracks to make hunting them easier, again I think it sucks but........rules are rules. Lots of things in life suck, don't have to like it, but have to live with it.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the conflict of interest? Helping a law enforcement agency do its job is the right thing to do, no the wrong. Sledding in out of bounds area's is the wrong thing. If you get caught, you should be tar and feathered.

agreed... the BC CO service is so broke and underfunded they can't get out and enforce those things... next thing you know like the other post in Revelstoke there closing areas cause people cant follow basic rule...

good on the person who donated the flights... if it's your competion maybe take them out! every BC CO i ever met while in the field was a good guy who'd stop in your camp and share a cup of coffee... they enjoy the sport and the outdoor more then most hence why they went to school and took a very much underpaid public service job where they need to beg borrow and steal helicopter rides to do their job. Think they want it to be like that??? NO THEY DON't im sure any one they charged rightfully deserves it and im sure they investigation and all of them are documented professionally and available to anyone who wants to do a freedom of information act request!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I know what your saying but how else are they suppose to patrol the area? Its said that 5% will always break the law 10% never will break the law and the rest of us sit on the fence... that's who lawenforcement really stops... if they didn't get out there and try there would be a lot more people breaking the law... helicopters do scare animals I agree...but they don't make packed wolf highways for wolves to access the cariboo as easily. I heard somewhere that's also the issue with sledding... don't know how true it is but I know up here if you wanna trap a wolf you put your snare set on a sled trail b/c their smart and master energy savers and they know walking on the sled track saves time... have you ever had to walk out of the bush? Even a fat guy like me prays for a sled track... just saying...

I still say I think you could walk in their office and ask for a freedom of information act request... If you find something that stinks then report it to your local media outlet... or better yet if your still not happy with what's happening bring it up to your local media person and they have ways of investigating things you and i will never... let us know the outcome

trust me Im not here trying to change your mind I just don't want to believe their as evil as you think... have you tried approaching them? I agree we all should have the right to access crown land... if that ever stops or changes like where BC has recently proposed giving crown land to forest companies to manage... trust me I joining the 5%ers that always break the law... in that respect only of course... ive said on these posts before and I stand by it until we have on law for everyone in this country we're screwed. Yes, I agree if they close areas for sleds skier should have to stay out too... infact i never realized they didnt until know. Again perhaps an issue with the squeeky wheel... i know and have heard of lots of politicians or their kids like to heli ski... so maybe there in lies the problem?!!!

Top Bottom