Buying a side by side...

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The AC trail is great if you are short. Im 5'8" with short legs, fits me like a glove. Buddys 6' long legs and legs hit dash. He bought the big cat 1000 great machine, he fits in but some trails I fit between the trees and rocks he cant.
I'm 6'2" and my knees don't hit the dash in our Wildcat Trail. It is a snug fit though with a 34" inseam, no real room to spare. We've had ours a year with no issues, and it is ridden pretty hard. Find a dealer who cares about after sales service, maintain your machine and have fun.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the RZR trail version, 800xc. Basically the 50" with the slightly wider stance. For the type of riding the wife and i do it is ideal. Not into speed so at the end of the day we actually saw the scenery and why we (wife and i) enjoy getting out.
The power is plenty and i believe the 570 will match the 800 in most situations, they are very popular around here also and money talks.
When i bought mine i started by looking at the 800 then went on seriously looking at getting the 900. But the price difference was VERY substantial and no trail version was being offered, only in a wide version. At the time there was a $4,000 difference between the one i bought and the 900 i was looking at.
My 2013 was 11,900 on the show room floor bare bone. I added a few extras during the deal. The 900 was 16,000 bare bone. It was a no brain'er at that point.
Today i walk in to the Polaris dealer and see the prices of these big unit's and can't help my self but LAUGH, just to play in the hill's.
I think if your patient enough you'll find a deal on either one 570 or 800. Maybe even a bigger one with the way jobs are going in Alberta.

No mater how you cut it lund has a good point every year they just get bigger and more expensive.
people spending $20,000-25,000+ on UTV's now a days is just insane in my mind.

I would buy used any day if it saved me 10k on a low mileage UTV vs new.

And with the size of these big 1000 rzrs for example, i start to wonder if building a proper Buggy would be better.

I parked my Jeep near a Highlifter Rzr the other day and there wasn't much difference in size. apparently the jeep is also only double the weight also.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol,

Yup it has become a " look at me, see how much money i spent," when are you buying one, type of thing these days?

you can have as much fun on just about any good used unit out there, as long as you don't need to be Ricky racer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Meggamass

Reaction score
Lol,

Yup it has become a " look at me, see how much money i spent," when are you buying one, type of thing these days?

you can have as much fun on just about any good used unit out there, as long as you don't need to be Ricky racer!

We had an old big bear out with us a couple weekends ago and he was right behind us all the way! It truly has become "I have more $ than you" with the machines now days..... my opinion at least

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New machine is nice! Necessary?

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we picked up a low km rzr 900 xp this spring and love it...
added power steering, clutch kit arched offset a arms and some rubber and i have no issues going anywhere the big highlifter rzr's go for a fraction of the $ and have plenty power for fun factor mind you I will never keep up to the big turbo's etc but we are more than happy

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya my ranger won't keep up, and thats ok with me

Meggamass

Reaction score
added power steering, clutch kit arched offset a arms and some rubber and i have no issues going anywhere the big highlifter rzr's go for a fraction of the $ and have plenty power for fun factor mind you I will never keep up to the big turbo's etc but we are more than happy

Same here, tired up, piped up, clutched up and I always keep up!!!!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

that young lad of yours ever get the mud out of his hair???

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here, tired up, piped up, clutched up and I always keep up!!!!!

I really make no attempt to keep up, ride my own speed, see the sights so to speak. inspect the underside of the ranger once in a while!

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We still run quads, frugal to buy, easy too access all stuff, light to pack out West as we can haul 3 units with one pick-up and small trailer/ 6 if we use the 1 ton and goose neck.

The day will come when we start using SxS, most likely the easy to get in & out of units, small motors, factory tires, and frugal priced off the show room floor since we only buy new with full warranty.

The nice thing about the small units is re-sale time since folks know that we did not use them for going fast, good on fuel, practical for acrage use and farm operations, and 1/2 to 2/3 less price from new when we replace them too the next units down the road.

Small hp units are easy on drive train since we're not mud-bogg folks, the heviest load would be a ton in tow for pasture and field work, and odd parts,,, 98% of its life would be used as a SxS at what we need them too do.

We'll be running quads for many more years since they do every thing we need, easy to get get on to them, never wreck nothing less oil changes and very rare brake pads, and wear out tires after burning lots of farm fuel.

We ride our work-horse quads out West all the time and never think twice about doing the sport units since we need racks to pack supplies, parts, fishing & hunting gear. We drive slow making our investments last as long as we can.

The re-placement units are the ones that have proven them selves for 20 ish years with lasting reliability. Old school yes, we can't change now that we're set in our ways.

Pal Don at getting best bang from the buck, at the least expence over the long haul.
A 2 cent idea that works for "us".

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
570 is nice and narrow, go's through the mud nice. Has the same takeoff power as the 800 and fits in a pickup truck box ...even a short box truck. Check over the air box there is an o ring in there than can let dust in and dust your engine.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you talking about that single seater? the ace ?

I was debating getting one just because they are a tad easier on my back (sxs's) but realistically id just get stuck more and thats even harder on my back.

I've stuck with Quad so far most i ride with went SXS now though.

I do feel like things i crawl through they all seem to be ramming through , but it must be nice to not really ever wory about flopping.

That's the one really nice thing i like about my dads razor when i took it out, You never feel like its going to flop since your center of gravity is lower and you are sitting lower also.

It was pretty fun to cruise around in also If i had just cash sitting around id consider something but not a 25,000 unit thats forsure.

Id likely end up buying used lowish KM's since the resale value is so poor on ATV's/UTV's and someones going broke from this economy somewhere and needs to off load last years hottest machine.

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
)
There is a HP limit coming now .... News to me . Lol
If they do that(and I hope they do not) I hope they grandfather existing machines. My sea doo is governed from the factory it's a 2013.( just for top speed it accelerates using all it's hp)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a HP limit coming now .... News to me . Lol

icon12.gif
Yup, i was down town the other day, saw 5 guys standing there, asked 1 of them if he would prefer free beer or more power in his atv

Free beer was his response, thus i came to this conclusion! My poll may be right 1 in 5 times asking eligible voters!

1 shouted out "Brent" ! Did not confirm or deny!!
icon10.gif

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5 hp Briggs & Staten of all quads under 600 lbs, and 8 hp Tucomsy for all SxS's over 2000 lbs.

This is what I hear, Ha.

They say they are crank shaft direct drive, so we need to remember to park on top of a hill for care free starts.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol, yup less hp, less trail damage and environmental impact lol

Top Bottom