Brake Clean

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can a guy use Brake clean on the Primary and Secondary to get rid of grim or is it hard on some parts?

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used it, never gave it much thought, didn't seem to hurt anything

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I've been told not to use it, can't remember why :confused: think it leaves some sort of a chemical residue behind. I use Acetone to clean my clutches. It can be bought in 1 gallon jugs and works great for removing belt streaks and such.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been told not to use it, can't remember why :confused: think it leaves some sort of a chemical residue behind. I use Acetone to clean my clutches. It can be bought in 1 gallon jugs and works great for removing belt streaks and such.

X2 acetone works great

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the amount the Brake Clean is going to do any damage to the surface parts...... You'll have either retired the sled or it'll be so out dated that it wouldnt really matter.....

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
For the amount the Brake Clean is going to do any damage to the surface parts...... You'll have either retired the sled or it'll be so out dated that it wouldnt really matter.....

The way it was explained to me it wasn't the fact that you would damage the clutch surfaces but more hinder the performance of the machine as well as possibly glazing the belt and we all know they arnt cheap. Unless your stealing it from work, a can of brake clean is running you $6 or so and you will be burning off at least a couple cans on your clutch vs paying $17 for a jug of acetone that will last you 3 seasons :eek:
What I do is buy a spray bottle from the dollar store and fill it up with acetone and giver. Wear rubber gloves. Once all the streaks and such are scrubbed off I go over the sheaves with scotch bright then another good wiping down and away you go. My 2 cents.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way it was explained to me it wasn't the fact that you would damage the clutch surfaces but more hinder the performance of the machine as well as possibly glazing the belt and we all know they arnt cheap. Unless your stealing it from work, a can of brake clean is running you $6 or so and you will be burning off at least a couple cans on your clutch vs paying $17 for a jug of acetone that will last you 3 seasons :eek:
What I do is buy a spray bottle from the dollar store and fill it up with acetone and giver. Wear rubber gloves. Once all the streaks and such are scrubbed off I go over the sheaves with scotch bright then another good wiping down and away you go. My 2 cents.

Where do you get this acetone?? ... just at a hardwear store?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Acetone is used a lot in body work with fibreglass......... Napa, bumper to bumper and probably canadian tire and all the hardware stores should be able to get it

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use brakeclean all the time, even use it on windows to remove grease or oil after a hydraulic line has blown on a trackhoe or other equipment, and there doesnt seem to be any residue left behind. Just be sure to protect yourself, brakeclean and acetone go through exposed skin pretty quickly and are really tough on your liver ect..

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use it everyday in my shop, varsol gun cant touch the cleaning power and acetone is to nasty when its airborne. The cost by the case is under 5 bucks and the time saved is worth it. If i can save 10 minutes im up in my bottom line.
And yes it leaves a residue. I 3M scotchbrite the clutch sheaves before it leaves my door.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch everyone. It is always better to ask than to possibly do harm to your sled when you want it to take you to the snowy mountains and home again in one piece.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read more tha once that you should never use anything but soap and water with a scotch brite pad to clean your clutches. Supposedly when the clutches warm up the porous aluminum surfaces release the solvents absorbed and cause belt glazing and slippage.:confused::beer:

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 i also wash my belts with HOT water and sunlight dish soap it work awsome.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read more tha once that you should never use anything but soap and water with a scotch brite pad to clean your clutches. Supposedly when the clutches warm up the porous aluminum surfaces release the solvents absorbed and cause belt glazing and slippage.:confused::beer:

yes this is common knowledge, but if you think about it the aluminum wold have to be hot and expanded in order to "absorb" anything. Also you are cleaning a machined surface that has only microscopic pores that are filled with rubber. which is worse the rubber or the solvent to your next belt?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are reading into this issue too much. Brake clean and a red scotch brite pad afterwards is all I would do.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use intake medic... for engines... it has acitone in it... i find brakecleens leaves some film on stuff.... intake medic doesn't... intake medic takes stickers off with out leaving the glue film and brakeclean leaves it...
just my 2 cents...

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find Zep "Brake Wash" to be a far better product with less of a greasy residue and the fumes are not near as bad as "Brakleen" from CRC. :twocents: Zep will sell to the general public also! :wtg:

Top Bottom