Bought a deck and never had one before

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an older marathon deck, it came with turnbuckles. This year I am bolting it down through the box. Better safe than losing a sled or the whole deck.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’re going to bolt it to something go through to the frame, bolting to the sheet metal with backing plates....!!!! well it's double walled and more likely to compress if stressed hard emough.

The corner box tie downs on most trucks ( not all) are reinforced, unfortunately the manufactures dont post ratings because the governments doesn’t make them.

I spoke to two deck manufactures they had opposing arguments, the one that came out against the tie down turn buckles is now attaching to the box rail.....?

I also stopped at the scales and asked, they were not aware of any regulation regarding this, but did bring up the strap laws.....(ie straps have to have a label with a load rating).

But the same as chains the turn buckles don’t need to have a rating....

Was going to ask about super clamps but they were trying to shoo me away as it was....so never got to it.

Last edited:

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just use the turnbuckles.

But keep this in mind, they loosen up!! I put a nut on them to prevent this and tightened the hell out of it .. end of season one of them was pretty loose.

be sure to check them every once in a while !

I never had any issues and crawled over many a logging roads with 2 sleds (we rode june 30th!)

hurtinalbertin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just turnbukle mine down, I travel 2 hrs on a logging road every year and never have problems. Make sure you use lock tight or another nut are turnbuckle will loosen. If you choose to bolt your deck down, turnbukle aswell or you will end up with cracks and thats a risk too.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't Ford have a commercial crowing about how they could lift the entire truck using only the 4 bed tie down points a couple years back?

Ford says alot of things in their commercials lol. i just used the ones inside the box last year too but i think i will do it better this year as i really didnt like it alot. especially the fron ones they get allot of stress as you are pulling up on them all the time when loading. especially with the really short short boxes.

7ft deck in a 5.5 box alott of leverage when loading

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Marathon has been bolted down for two years! I use it for quads and sleds. Might even add a few turnbuckles after reading some of the above threads just to be safe!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turnbuckles are fine. The deck weight is supported by the truck box. The turnbuckles to tie downs is more than enough. I have hauled an 800 pound moose into the truck using a come along and one tiedown just to give you an idea how strong they are.

you are not seeing the big picture, side forces can be excessive = deck and contents on the road= big trouble.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know guys that use nothing at all!! Thats a little weak lol.

would ya hold a broken powerline cable if someone told ya to.:p

everything is "legal" till ya have an accident or get pulled over going to valemont. anyway do what ya will it is your life or someone elses. people like to sue these days or so i hear.

Last edited:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
you are not seeing the big picture, side forces can be excessive = deck and contents on the road= big trouble.

Side forces?? You doing donuts? lol. I have never had a problem except as was stated, check them every trip as they do loosen.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Side forces?? You doing donuts? lol. I have never had a problem except as was stated, check them every trip as they do loosen.

as in dodging deer or moose, the truck sure leans way out there, as in dangerous. try to do a few sweves and you'll be cleaning out your shorts real quick.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
as in dodging deer or moose, the truck sure leans way out there, as in dangerous. try to do a few sweves and you'll be cleaning out your shorts real quick.

Just shoot those and load em on yur deck ...... why you trying to dodge em? Your a funny guy ........ :beer::cool:

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would ya hold a broken powerline cable if someone told ya to.:p

everything is "legal" till ya have an accident or get pulled over going to valemont. anyway do what ya will it is your life or someone elses. people like to sue these days or so i hear.

there isn't much point trying to convince some one to change something that has been working fine for them for a few years, even if it's isn't the safest. it's no different than trying to tell the guy with the sled deck in the 1/2 tonne that he is over weight with two sleds and full of gear and gas.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’re going to bolt it to something go through to the frame, bolting to the sheet metal with backing plates....!!!! well it's double walled and more likely to compress if stressed hard emough.

The corner box tie downs on most trucks ( not all) are reinforced, unfortunately the manufactures dont post ratings because the governments doesn’t make them.

I spoke to two deck manufactures they had opposing arguments, the one that came out against the tie down turn buckles is now attaching to the box rail.....?

I also stopped at the scales and asked, they were not aware of any regulation regarding this, but did bring up the strap laws.....(ie straps have to have a label with a load rating).

But the same as chains the turn buckles don’t need to have a rating....

Was going to ask about super clamps but they were trying to shoo me away as it was....so never got to it.
The company that makes the box rail mounted deck is now selling legs for their decks so that you can bolt them down......

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure turn buckles have worked for alot of people for a long time but I wouldn't want to be in a major accident with 2 sleds strapped on the deck and only a couple turn buckles holding everything in the truck...I'm guessing the whole works will be through your cab or through the vehicle you collided with. Just my opinion but mine is bolted down just for this reason.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this thread is hilarious.

i think im going to go weld up all my decks to the frame. got me all scared now.

this way you cant go wrong. welding is the only solution.

if your turnbuclkes are loose then yes you could have an issue in an incident. the jaring force would easily snap one. as long as you maintain there tension that thing is never ejecting from your box. you and the sleds will before the deck goes.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Not sure how you bolt a deck to the frame of the truck ,as the frame is inside the legs ..I guess it might work at the front but the fuel tank would be in the way
This is how I did mine and I have four turnbuckles as well.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317699624.655651.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317699624.655651.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this thread is hilarious.

i think im going to go weld up all my decks to the frame. got me all scared now.

this way you cant go wrong. welding is the only solution.

if your turnbuclkes are loose then yes you could have an issue in an incident. the jaring force would easily snap one. as long as you maintain there tension that thing is never ejecting from your box. you and the sleds will before the deck goes.
I thought you used a 30 foot trailor

Top Bottom