both rave valves busted any opinions

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull sled in worhshop to do a couple mods and decided to check compression and to my surprise I only had 105 psi both sides on a dry test and wet text 120 pto side, 135 mag . Sled seemed to run good at end of season.
Pulled head off to have a look and found some Pitt marks on some pto side , but when I pulled the raves I couldn't believe engine wasn't granaded .
ebyzutem.jpg
ymyqary3.jpg
u6yma7yr.jpg
egysu4an.jpg
avu8etuh.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's a 07 800 r, there is updated gilotens that don't break like that

I've seen pics of them catching the piston and making a mash lol

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think his sled is an XP chassis but some of the EARLY 800r sleds did have the old guillotines like tex is talking about that were faulty.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holy crap !!!

good thing you didn't go for 1 last rip on her eh?

thanks for posting ...

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the 2008's had same problems.
Upgraded them I believe following year

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys it was late when I got in from the shop, it's a 2010 , 860 . Last time I had motor apart was jan 2011 . To redo the 860 . I check compression every year . It's been atleast 2 years or possible since 2011 since I had raves out. I usually check raves once a year also by loading up with 5 lbs pressure to see if it holds due to a problem I had on my 07 . I have faithfully done this for 3 sleds I maintain over the last 4 years. Preseason. I have had a couple major crashes on this sled , I'm wondering if one of them jolts could of had a factor in it . I find it wierd that both are chewed , burnt busted and it's not the ear broken off like the 07-08 problem .

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen pics both ways, like urs and where the shaft breaks off letting it go down too far

Pretty sure it was doo talk I seen the pics like urs....

One question, did u have the rave valve mod done, just thinking outa the box

Cause as far as I know 10's didn't have the issues

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have caught a problem that would cause your problem.... If that makes sense. Often a lot of guys who do big bores want a core and they just send you another jug. Most of the time this not your origional. Some of the repops these guys get have diffrent clearencing. Easy way to tell is the repops are NOT machined where the rave valve bolts onto the cylinder jug. I found the Diffrence was small enough that it can make contact with the piston, but you won't really realize it for some time. Thus scoring the piston before a actual failure, but still allowing it to run and perform, and then something gives.

fyi for the etec guys, this distance is less for the ptecs.

Last edited:

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the etec hard parts the same. I have rave valves from a etec 860 11'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have caught a problem that would cause your problem.... If that makes sense. Often a lot of guys who do big bores want a core and they just send you another jug. Most of the time this not your origional. Some of the repops these guys get have diffrent clearencing. Easy way to tell is the repops are NOT machined where the rave valve bolts onto the cylinder jug. I found the Diffrence was small enough that it can make contact with the piston, but you won't really realize it for some time. Thus scoring the piston before a actual failure, but still allowing it to run and perform, and then something gives.

fyi for the etec guys, this distance is less for the ptecs.

when they do the BB they machine the main gillitine to match new diameter cylinder but with that being said summer 2010 after a speaciality shop in edmonton installed it blew with only 250 kms on it jan 2011, i put it back togather my self and it lasted till summer 2014. so the cylinder was sent back in 2011 to be reknickled so i guess it is possible. i cant believe niether cylinder is beat to ****.

Tex- no it does not have the rave valve mod running off only exhaust pressure but that was one of this years mods i was in the process when i started with compression test.

Kovs- not sure about etec hard parts , ill check

X-it sorry i dont understand question.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when they do the BB they machine the main gillitine to match new diameter cylinder but with that being said summer 2010 after a speaciality shop in edmonton installed it blew with only 250 kms on it jan 2011, i put it back togather my self and it lasted till summer 2014. so the cylinder was sent back in 2011 to be reknickled so i guess it is possible. i cant believe niether cylinder is beat to ****.

Tex- no it does not have the rave valve mod running off only exhaust pressure but that was one of this years mods i was in the process when i started with compression test.

Kovs- not sure about etec hard parts , ill check

X-it sorry i dont understand question.
Sh!tty deal, good thing a guy got it before a chopper ride

Bet that savings will pay to fix it lol

So how does the valves work with exhaust psi without the rave valve mod

It still has the stock lines and solenoids then??

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They used to put " top" on the valve, never tried to install them the other way round. Maybe you can or maybe you can't.

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X-it - they will only go togather the one way and fit in , I know second pic has the outers sitting in rave upside down.

Tex - the rave valve mod isn't done yet , they do machine them so they don't catch the piston when doing a big bore.
- from what I read mainly on doo talk when u do the rave mod you plug the ports on the rave, plug the ports on back of engine remove hoses , u have to keep electrical plug connected so u don't throw codes , remove spring from under bellow , some say put it on top of bellow , some say it doesn't matter , then u drill a hole in the rim of rave housing , this is where you get the exhaust pressure. .

Older - so this morning I went out and compared the raves from my BB to a set of stock ones , I don't see much of a difference if any in the two raves so this leads me to believe they where not machined at all or not enough by the builder.
7uvy3uja.jpg
u9urymut.jpg

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have found your problem. As we both know the raves have to be cut for the enlarged piston, some guys go even further and cut them "there way" for a performance edge.

in the case of ours it was a repo jug, the raves where cut. But the repo jug placed the rave further down its bore making contact.

Either way it is something most people don't look for and you would never notice it just hand crank the engine as the rave would move the slight amount ever time there was contact.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would talk to Deano on here and get him to track you down pistons then he can do the rave mod and fit them to your cylinders. Deano does nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summitguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess i should replace mine in my 07 seeing as I got a new drop in motor last year souls suck if they busted!!! Are the new one made of the new material or do I need to go to a 2008-2009 part

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess i should replace mine in my 07 seeing as I got a new drop in motor last year souls suck if they busted!!! Are the new one made of the new material or do I need to go to a 2008-2009 part
All the new ones are updated to the say 13 ones

But yes get the 07 ones out right away

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys , I'm first going to give the builder an oppurtunity to make this right considering I know need raves, pistons/rings one dome and it prob could use a new nickle coating. I would say this is definitely a builder oversight. Even when it imploded after the first 250 Kms I reordered all the parts and cylinder from him at my expense. Anyway I will see what he has to say then proceed from there. I will def look up Deano and talk to him also.
Problem is it's a 2010 so how much money do I really want to spend on the other hand it's a complete mod . As far as I'm concerned it a T3 without this years front suspension. I'll let u know how I make out.
Thanks again fellow snow mudders

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I helped a buddy with his bb from a builder in edmonton. Piston was contacting the rave and caused it to stick. The problem he was complaining about was low rpm, chased clutching and jetting all year and the rave was the problem.

If yah have no luck with the builder try converting to a 872.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom