BOGGYDOODOOwhat the HECK

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay you guys just got back from YellowStone and we had really good conditions 2-4ft of powder everywhere. I drive a 2010 summit 800 154.

First off i want to say what was BRP thinking when they put the airfilter half way up the hood of this snowmobile. This is the most stupid thing that any company could do. IT IS A SNNNOOOWWWMOBILE.:realmad: I guess the R&D of BRP never drove the sled in 2ft to 4 ft of powder. Thanks BRP. Because its a summit they must have just drove on the trails.:)

Well because of this stupid design, i managed to get stuck 4 times because of it and also have excessive fuel consumption.:mad:

The first time it happened i thought i lost a cyl. only to find that it was a plugged airfilter. The engine will drop to 7000rpm or so when this happens. The spring loaded vacum valve works but does not allow enough air when you keep pushing thru 3ft of powder. If you are low on the throttle there is not enough vacum to open the vac/valve in the air box. as a result BOGGYDOO:realmad:

I guess you have to only ride/side hill on the right side of the snowmobile to keep the airfilter out of the snow. Or you have to be a F#*^ing ballerina to navigate thru trees stand on right running board and clean off airfilter with left hand and hold throttlewot with right. what a Fu#*ed system.

This being said what are you guys doing to prevent this from happening?????????

Maxwell from a couple of your vids looks like you have pushed 3ft of pow. what is your experience???

any help greatly appreciated.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
an auxilliary intake is pretty much essential on the XP's for deep powder running. some guys are putting flo rites in the back of the lower airbox, some put them in the upper airbox, and others are going with aftermarket fresh air intake kits that draw cold air from above the dash pod. 'doo makes one for the RS600 race sled that looks pretty sanitary and works good. lots of options out there, search here and dootalk for some ideas

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, stupid design. I have an 09 with the stupid couch pillow for an airfilter which kept getting pushed in and letting snow in the box. Instead of fixing it with zipties and that crap I switched it out for the 08 screen which is better IMO. Then I had the same bog issue, dealer wanted to change, computer, dess, reprogram etc, couldn't fiqure it out. I made my own 1" flowrites in the back of the airbox inline with the carb mouth and done, no more bog, have ran in seat deep snow before with no problems.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That is an infamous problem with the XP's. Started with the '08's and still in the 2010's although somewhat better.

The SLP vents in the upper air box have been great for me! As teeroy says, "Doo a search on DooTalk" for lots of chat and ideas.

Good luck, fs

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay i will look into this. This will also change the amount of air the engine will receive. Have any of you done a wot pull and then done a plug check/piston wash check to see what your burn is????????

As you have now given the engine more air.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay i will look into this. This will also change the amount of air the engine will receive. Have any of you done a wot pull and then done a plug check/piston wash check to see what your burn is????????

As you have now given the engine more air.
all you're doing is adding an extra point for the air to come in, the air will just flow in from where ever it can. not like your forcing extra air into the engine, it will only draw what it can, you are just allowing it to do so.

this is where i fabbed my own intake into the upper airbox. was in dec '07 before the aftermarket had anything out there....works great in the deep, never had another bog due to intake blockage since the install.
pictures3613Small.jpg

this is what 'doo came out with in '09 on the RS 600 race sled, pretty similar in theory....
09rsintake.jpg

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The XP's are starved for air as it is.
Just put a couple of 2" flo-rites in the back of the airbox and ride her. Ot the SLP intake works well also.
NO one I know has ever noticed a difference in plug colour or wash.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus all these fancy intakes cost $$$, you can make your own flowrites for next to nothing, I went and bought some actual flowrite material so my initail cost was a bit but now I can make a bunch more. If anyone else is interested in having this done I can mod your stock box for a very small fee.

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus all these fancy intakes cost $$$, you can make your own flowrites for next to nothing, I went and bought some actual flowrite material so my initail cost was a bit but now I can make a bunch more. If anyone else is interested in having this done I can mod your stock box for a very small fee.

Are you modding the box at the back or the front? I could use a a piece of that florite material if you have any extra laying around.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all you're doing is adding an extra point for the air to come in, the air will just flow in from where ever it can. not like your forcing extra air into the engine, it will only draw what it can, you are just allowing it to do so.

this is where i fabbed my own intake into the upper airbox. was in dec '07 before the aftermarket had anything out there....works great in the deep, never had another bog due to intake blockage since the install.
pictures3613Small.jpg

this is what 'doo came out with in '09 on the RS 600 race sled, pretty similar in theory....
09rsintake.jpg

thanks for the pics. not sure as i havent looked but does the dash panel where you installed the vents lead righ into the airbox or do they just vent into the area under the hood?? if they vent just to under the hood totally good but i do like the idea of the ones on the back of the air box.

i have a 2x6 inch frogskin that i didn't install on the clutch side that i might mode the back of the airbox with.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
teeroy's intake is not the easiest, because you have to do some plumbing between the gauges. It is probably the most logical, if you have a windshield.

Ideally, the closer your vents are to the carbs, the more effective. There is a temp sensor mid way in the upper air box, but I don't think it affects much if a diversion is put in.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the pics. not sure as i havent looked but does the dash panel where you installed the vents lead righ into the airbox or do they just vent into the area under the hood??
they are plumbed into the upper airbox. wasn't sure how bypassing the upper sensor that cuso is referring to would effect performance. the flo rites in the back of the airbox is by far the easiest method.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I noticed this as well and it bugs me, glad you brought it up.

Would this fresh air kit work?

Sled-Parts.com - Sled Parts - Fuel and Intake

Obviously cutting a hole in the air box and covering it with flo-rite material is the most economical way to go.

IMHO, all the external venting plugs up with the right conditions in the powder! Saying that, I have no experience with teeroy's set-up and the guys who have done it are happy so it must work.

I took the easy way and put in a 2" SLP in the top of the initial air box before the air sensor. As teeroy says again, "you are adding just another point for the air to come in.....". The duct tape is not necessary if you cut the hole carefully (since learned that a heat gun and box cutter work great).

Never experienced a problem with the bog after this little mod.

Attachments

• 100_2960.jpg
    100_2960.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 418

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay took the easy way out and pulled the air boc drilled 2 2 inch holes and used frog skinz over top of them. Leaving for Crowsnest pass tomrw after dinner going to be riding sat/sun. hope we have 3ft of powder so i can compare it to when i was in Yellowstone last week. I will post back when i get back.

:beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i find this interesting. my 2010 800 bogged out on me ONCE. and it was my own fault. usually before a run i just give the intake a wipe like most and i hadnt done it all day. it had about an inch of ice on it. other than that one time ive been over the hood deep all season and not a single issue. i was actually super impressed because i thought there was no way i wasnt going to have bogging issues. same with my friend on his 09 no issues aswell with the bag intake.

now for the 08. has some serious deep snow hate. drilled in some flowrites and its pretty much solveed.

also been riding with some 2011 with the dual intakes. they have more issues than i do.

Tang

Reaction score
I can say I rode with Warhawk in Yellowstone between Xmas and New Years, and he spent sometime dusting and cleaning the air filter. I rode my 2010 RMK dragon without a single bog on the trip. I did have a voltage regulator crap out on the first day.:rant:

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay yesterday we were in Corbin and had really good snow. got a chance to really PUSH some snow and this mod worked perfect.

wish BRP would do there own R&D and not PUSH it on us riders.:realmad::nono:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Mine bogged in Chappell couple weekends ago. Just cleaned the intake and it was good. The other thing with riding yellowstone is that your upwards of 10000 ft. My sled was bogging a little at the top too because of the altitude.

I like your idea though Teeroy. I remember you posting some pics of that.

Top Bottom