Big Iron Shootout Avalanche @ Turbo March 13,2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

m8cat

Reaction score
My heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims and to all of the rescuer's efforts.

One thought that I do have is this, I wonder if the media and anyone else that is trying to turn this into something ugly for all sledders would be so quick to report information if it was just another nice weekend of sledding ....?
Makes me wonder about the world we live in.....

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great job guys on reacting so fast and saving all those lives. We have lots of unsung heroes on here.
Im proud to call you friends:snowmobilers_wave:

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIP boys

hope for a good recovery to anyone who was involved

Lets try and work together here and Save Our Sport

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you listened to the news? Just heard on the radio.....one of the wives of the deceased sledder is already questioning the decision making of this weekends activities.:(

Everyone who was there should be question their decision making process after this. My condolences to all that lost friends or family.

Jasons

Reaction score
My condolences to everyone involved! To all people that were out there digging-great job! Was involved in one a few years ago and dug out one person, all ended up good, but I'm still not right about it.
RIP

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Big Iron Slide @ Turbo March 13,2010

I mean this in the nicest way possible, please stop bickering back and fourth and can we try and keep the posting for condolences and updates.

My sincerist condolences to the families.

Thanks for the responses, im sure the families appreciate it.
And for those of you that are pointing fingers, wrong time and place. :nono:

That defetes the purpose of a public forum... emotions are running high and not everyone is going to like what others have to say.

I agree with Bogger...

When I checked this thread I'm sure it said " Big Iron Slide@Turbo March 13,2010" Not "Please post your condolences only here" . That makes it an open thread for all types of discussion and if you don't like what others post turn your computer off. Maybe it's time to split the thread, and for those that don't want to read about the circumstances around this incident etc. they just don't have to open this thread. Again, just my opinion like it or not.

Blu du

Reaction score
this is a testiment to avy training and equipment. i find it amazing that we only lost 2.RIP that one news clip said that "OZONE" dave skipped town before sunday. was there a fee to race? was there a purse?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims and to all of the rescuer's efforts.

One thought that I do have is this, I wonder if the media and anyone else that is trying to turn this into something ugly for all sledders would be so quick to report information if it was just another nice weekend of sledding ....?
Makes me wonder about the world we live in.....

Well... think about the previous weekend. Some 40 or so women (and some of their husbands) converged on Boulder mountain for the Ladies Ride. We did so knowing that a Special Avalanche Warning had been issued for the area. We accepted the known risks and proceeded to have a fabulous weekend of sledding and comraderie, enjoying the snow and skies in as safe a manner as possible. It was a huge success, for both the sledding community, and also for many of the women who sledded and travelled for the first time without the backup or encouragement of a husband/significant other. No media raced to cover and expose our event ?!? Guess we aren't newsworthy (not that that is necessarily a problem).

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

" the big iron shootout" is not a race its a fun time for eveyone to get togetther to have fun. everyone knows the conciquences. there is no fee to "race" just your judgement

OZONE, i think did the right thing cuz he is getting blamed for something that isnt his fault and is completly out of his control. we all know the risks and we all new the high avy warnings.

lagrek

Reaction score
We..lagrek, doo doo, and 14 others went to Valemount this weekend to avoid the large crowd. sleddin is more fun than watchin...there was at least one large avy there too...2 guys buried , dug themselves out, from what we could see. they were a mountain away so for us to try to get there in time was futile...they were reported as OK about 20 mins later by another rider. This was at Allan creek in the far back past hillclimb in the rolly stuff...there is still guys climbin the SE facing hills in mid-day after 45 cm of snow??? risk versus fun??? we had a blast all weekend and no slides for us...thanks to all the rescuers in revy and everywhere else....rip to all that were lost.....sorry to sound stupid but why was everyone sitting in the runout? nowhere else to watch??? just askin??

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the brother in law called us last night, all is well. He went to Valemount for the weekend. I wasn't able to get on the Internet to post as our server was down.

Thanks to all of those that sent me a pm to let me know he was fine.

Thanks all.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to sound stupid but why was everyone sitting in the runout? nowhere else to watch??? just askin??

I can't say why they converged on the bottom exactly, I wasn't there. But I can make a guess: The racers set up at the bottom (naturally), and they have shiny sleds that people want to check out. A small crowd forms, then as people come in they go join the "herd". I don't want to insult the people that were there, but humans are dumb as animals in how we naturally feel safe in a crowd. Won't lie to you, if I was in Revy this weekend, I'd have probably done exactly the same. Some have been there before and not probably didn't think twice about it. It's why a normally sanctioned event (hockey game, nascar race, etc) will have clear designated safety personnel to tell us what we can and can't do.

Anyway, that's just a theory. The psychology of a group of people can be quite different than that of an individuals.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read that this avy didnt even happen at the BIS location
it had been over for about 1/2 hour and this avy on or NEAR Turbo happened AFTER the BIS
it said that the BIS was approx. 5 miles away and this was a random bunch of people FROM the BIS that were doing there own thing

can anyone confirm this?
sounds legit, as the BIS typically is a race to the top w multiple racers, not a highmarking competition (that usually takes place after in a different location...correct?)

it was in the Calgary Herold this am, Im not trying to pot stir here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom