Big Iron Shootout Avalanche @ Turbo March 13,2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
God speed Shay and Curtis.
All the best to the perons involved in the tragic incident.
Bow Cycle South staff

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prayers go out to the 2. Shay was a friend of 3 guys of my rig. I guess he left behind a wife and 2 young kids. Hope everything works out for all of the victems families.

Maclintock

Reaction score
Condolences to all the familes.
Tks to all the search and rescue crews, dogs and fellow snowmobilers on site.
Be Safe out There.

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIP Shay and Curtis.....Condolences to the family and friends of these two men......:(:(

jono.2

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can not fathom how hard it would be to lose someone under the pretense of going out to enjoy a beautiful weekend with some friends. One can only imagine the horrible feeling of being informed of this, all I can think of is how truly special life is, everyday we are here.

RIP.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
RIP Shay and Curtis.....Condolences to the family and friends of these two men......:(:(

X2 Lexy...in Jasper all weekend at ski finals...just taking this all in now. Watched some climbing at the bottom of Turbo end of January...very sad...very real when you have fresh memories of the exact spot.

Thoughts are with all affected.

Todd.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIP, I can't imagine what the families are feeling.

It didn't take long for the "blame game" to start.

jono.2

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some people really sensitivity training. Its just sad the things people say without thinking.

Post I was referring to has been deleted; presumably for being insensitive.

pmarsh

Reaction score
First off....I want to say that I also hurt and send out sincerest condolences to EVERYONE that was involved. We all feel pain but its truly the family, friends and those that were there ...that are going to need our support. As Drew put it...It could have been anyone of us! I joined Snow and Mud maybe a year ago and while I directly know some members face to face...the rapport on this site and getting to know one another even if it is on-line, is amazing...one thing that I have found is a web site consisiting of very compasionate caring people. Lets let the media look like fools in making this a frenzy of NOT REPORTING FACTUAL EVENTS. Don't get me wrong...this is tragic and will leave scars on everyone and anyone involved and for that I once again offer my heartfelt sorrow. I think it would be safe to say that all of us as members of this site bleed pain for all invloved. One thing I would like to offer the media and those that maybe don't understand our passion....is to maybe look at other sports?...maybe call them extreme...I don't know. Like how about hang gliding? or surfing in shark infested waters, or how is it that pilots at air shows have a failure and crash, or Auto racing? Do we quit flying because of a plane crash? Do we not surf because of sharks? Do we not drive because we might crash? DON'T CROSS THE STREET TO THE ICE CREAM TRUCK...you might get ran over! I think I made my point.....The media are like Parihanas....it don't matter the color, size, breed or if you are all there to begin with....its the meat they are after and folkes ....its sad but its the news or flavour of the day. The rejoice that we have ...especially on this site... is that we understand....we share our happiness and our grief....but we share and understand....that is what matters...I as well had friends that were supposed to be there and even checked up on ones that I haven't personally talked to in a long time so this tragic event has led us all in a direction of togetherness which is something that this world is really lacking of lately ...and if its sledding that brings us together then maybe....just maybe....the media can look a little deeper into our sport and see the passion that we as sledders have for one another and share that story with the rest of the world in a positive perspective instead of throwing gas on fire with little to no knowledge of actual events or even what snowmobiling really is!!!!!!!!!!! My sincerst condolences go to those involved..........

Fair enough. We all choose to take part in risky sports or behaviors because it is exciting and fulfilling in some way. However, in most cases we try to do everything possible to reduce the risk (safety equipment, training, experience, safety systems). Snowmobiling is risky, as is hang-gliding or surfing or out-of-bounds skiing. However, all of these sports can be done MORE safely. It is certainly not acceptable to the general public that an accident of this magnitude can happen given the current danger levels and warnings... and it should not be acceptable to the snowmobile community. This is a tragic event and my condolences go out to everyone involved. My only hope is that it does bring the snowmobile community together to LEAD the way to better safety in the backcountry. Don't sit back and let government regulate changes. Many of you are very passionate about the sport. Demonstrate it by showing a commitment to safety. I sorry if this sounds preachy or condescending... it's not meant to.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From myself and all the members of the Kelowna Snowmobile Club, deepest heart felt condolences to the friends and families of Shay and Curtis. Way too young. Way too soon. Perhaps, eventually some sort of peace can be found in knowing that they were doing something they loved to do. To those injured, here's wishing you all a speedy and full recovery. Lets all learn something from this so that lives were not lost in vain. :beer:

paparattler

Reaction score
have been at turbo many times,especially the back of turbo.
are we all sheep or have common sense.there are enough people in revelstoke who knew that it was absolutely wrong to do the hillclimbing where they did.i hear sheady on cbc,but he is one of the ones who knew that the mountain should have been shut down for an event like that.all the avalanche knowledgable people in revelstoke knew what could happen with all the avalanche warnings.did anybody in authority do anything about it,a big fat no.
my condolences to families of the 2 young men who got killed.
everybody deep down inside know that this was f..........up.
in the future somebody should have the authority to shut the mountain down.

Dookiller

Reaction score
Can't even put words to how terrible I think we all feel over this accident. 4 Small Kids and 2 Woman left behind with questions that really can never be answered.... Been an avid sleader and member of Revy for over 13 years, I looked at the sled this morning, looked at the wife and kid, and started polishing my golf clubs.....

RIP to everyone and I hope everyone else comes through with full recoveroes....

Also a BIG THANKS again to everyone involved...

Crazy part is we have never miss this event, we forgot to book rooms or we would have been there.....

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahh mother nature can be cruel at times,while she was giving me the best riding conditions and sunny day of this season she was takin the lives of my fellow sledders.To the familys of the lost my heart goes out to you and youve got a tuff road ahead but keep in mind they passed doing something they loved,we could all only be so lucky.To the injured,get well and hope your back on the throttle soon.As much as this whole event sucks it also makes me proud to be a sledder as we all seem to really care about each other and share in eaches joy and unfortunatly sorrow.I have some thoughts about the situation but Ill express the later after everybody has alittle healing time.Sledding is one of the few sports were we rely on each other for rescue as time doesnt aloow for outside help to come and do it,so be prepared and try to be as safe as possible out there but never lose the thrill and enjoyment of our sport as nothin in life can bring that kinda smile to your face as sleddin does.

Beaver

Reaction score
I agree with a few things you said but when you said Dave should feel bad right now you raised the hair on my neck!!Thats like saying Yamaha should feel bad for giving us the machines to do it !!!
He was in no way responsible for what happened...Have you ever tried to stop adrenaline junkies from getting thier fix.Its people like u who are quick to lay blame without even being there piss me off!!!:nono:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont blame the organizers. it may not have been the correct decision but there still would have been 200 sleds there that day. everyone knew the avalanche conditions and chose to participate. people choose to smoke cigaretts and die what are we going to do about that.

Bunkr

Reaction score
It makes me sick to see some negative replies about how stupid sledders are and that they shouldn't have been riding there, and shouldn't do this or that! You people with negative comments should mind your business!!! Stay out of the sledder world and stay in your own little sheltered, isolated boring world because your too scared to take a risk and feel the adrenaline and live your lives to the fullest! Because I for one would rather lose my live doing something I love with a smile on my face than getting hit by a car walking my doggy across the street or getting smacked by a drunk driver! So worry about your own lives and quit making negative remarks about sledders, it will give you more time to complete your crossword puzzles inside your home with your doors locked because its safer that way.

R.I.P Highmarkers in the Heavens! My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the fallen! And hope the injured recover to the fullest!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It makes me sick to see some negative replies about how stupid sledders are and that they shouldn't have been riding there, and shouldn't do this or that! You people with negative comments should mind your business!!! Stay out of the sledder world and stay in your own little sheltered, isolated boring world because your too scared to take a risk and feel the adrenaline and live your lives to the fullest! Because I for one would rather lose my live doing something I love with a smile on my face than getting hit by a car walking my doggy across the street or getting smacked by a drunk driver! So worry about your own lives and quit making negative remarks about sledders, it will give you more time to complete your crossword puzzles inside your home with your doors locked because its safer that way.

R.I.P Highmarkers in the Heavens! My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the fallen! And hope the injured recover to the fullest!

exactly. we all choose to live our lives differantly and if this isnt your passion dont post in here. this thread is for snowmobilers to learn information and send our condolences. not an argument or a debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom