Big Iron Shootout Avalanche @ Turbo March 13,2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very true, it was all over at the bull pen, and everyone went to do their thing for the balance of the day.

cobbycat

Reaction score
I read that this avy didnt even happen at the BIS location
it had been over for about 1/2 hour and this avy on or NEAR Turbo happened AFTER the BIS
it said that the BIS was approx. 5 miles away and this was a random bunch of people FROM the BIS that were doing there own thing

can anyone confirm this?
sounds legit, as the BIS typically is a race to the top w multiple racers, not a highmarking competition (that usually takes place after in a different location...correct?)

it was in the Calgary Herold this am, Im not trying to pot stir here

the racing at BIS is only at superbowl. the rest of the bowls after are won by pulling the toughest lines in each, one rider at a time. so I doubt this is the case but can't confirm that as I was not there for the first year in 8 years.

motrhed

Reaction score
First off, I would like to everyone involved to know that our sport's collective thoughts are with you, especially those that were close to those that passed away.

Maybe this accident could have been avoided, but it WAS an accident and they tend to happen by ACCIDENT. Based on the number of people that were on the hill that day, the consequences could have been MUCH worse... thank god it wasn't. The fact that it wasn't proves that most of the people in attendance were properly prepared, equipped, and trained to deal with the situation... GOOD JOB!
Avalanche safety is everyone's responsibility, but ultimately it is the choice of each person to do what they feel is right based on an educated risk assessment.

With all the guys there/money can we not get a helicoptor to do some blasting the morning of or night befor? I love sledding but if we can increase saftey let's do it. Ticket guys that are up there without the right gear, make avy coruses manditory for regulated areas and look out for your buddies make sure everyone has the gear befor going up, I have asked to ride with guys and they made sure I had probe shovel and beacon befor letting me tag along.

Regarding enforcement of proper gear and training, that should be up to you and me (every sledder). People need to take responsibility for themselves and not rely on others (government/law enforcement) to dictate what is safe or unsafe... use your mellon, it's not just there to hang some cool shades!!! Look out for the guy next to you, we don't need another cop on the hill to regulate the hell out of our past-time.

Regarding "blasting the morning of or night before"... Yes, this would help to reduce the avalanche hazard. But, it would also shut the hill down for riding due to the run-out snow setting-up like concrete - not very enjoyable stuff to ride through, land in, etc.

These are just my opinions and are not intended to offend anyone.

Captain-sno

Reaction score
I wish Ron would split this post up....I do not want to disrespect the familys that have lost loved ones here. My heart goes out to them....It was a very sad day for us all.

I have done some research on causes of death, and for the government to step in and say we need regulations on our sport is crazy, and the media is putting a bad slant on this, not to mention the blogs...I have been active on those the last 24 hours. I can't believe how ignorant people are to our sport.

My stats can be verified at the link below. (Alberta only!!)

Every year in ALBERTA alone we have 3400 deaths(almost 10 per day) caused by smoking.
yes, there are commercials to scare you and WARNINGS posted on every pack yet every year that many people die. 803 die from bad diet and inactivity, 107 by firearms (is this not regulated up the ying yang???) 52 for illegal drug use..... 400 people a year die from drowning in Alberta alone!! We have laws and bylaws (Calgary) that you must have life jackets on, yet on every warm day in July you will see people floating the Bow without them. 9 people a year die in Canada from Lightning strikes, and 778 people a year on bicycles in the USA. (could not find Canada)

Yes, even one death by avalanche is one to many, but put it in the proper context. There have been 6 in all of Western Canada this year. There where warnings given, ok, but why single us out??? Have we not been educating the public on Drunk Driving....fines, criminal records, loss of licence, TV ads, public opinion...yet look at those stats and the deaths associated.

SO DON'T PASS JUDGEMENT JUST ON OUR SPORT! Maybe spend the money to regulate the swimmers....or non swimmers.

Once again, my heart aches for our lost brothers....may you Rest In Peace. To those injured, heal fast and fully.....and to the HERO's on the hill that saved lives on Saturday, we are proud of you all!

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the racing at BIS is only at superbowl. the rest of the bowls after are won by pulling the toughest lines in each, one rider at a time. so I doubt this is the case but can't confirm that as I was not there for the first year in 8 years.

it was decided that this BIS was going to be a 2 day event, not a one day event. On saturday, the super bowl, sugar bowl, and bull pen locations were used. Turbo was to be held on Sunday.

That is why Doc Zoom's helicopter was sitting parked at Bull Pen 1 hour after the last guys tried to climb it. Ozone was not at Turbo and a bunch of the BIS riders weren't there as well.

An interesting thing to ponder is this - given the huge fresh snow and the blue skies, how many people would have been sitting at turbo if there was no BIS. Of those poeple there, how many would have been as well trained in search and rescue as the people that took charge (Crazy Canadian and Rob Blair)?

If that hill was going to let massively go anyways, how many people would have died if it was just a normal awesome Saturday afternoon at Bolder?

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was decided that this BIS was going to be a 2 day event, not a one day event. On saturday, the super bowl, sugar bowl, and bull pen locations were used. Turbo was to be held on Sunday.

That is why Doc Zoom's helicopter was sitting parked at Bull Pen 1 hour after the last guys tried to climb it. Ozone was not at Turbo and a bunch of the BIS riders weren't there as well.

An interesting thing to ponder is this - given the huge fresh snow and the blue skies, how many people would have been sitting at turbo if there was no BIS. Of those poeple there, how many would have been as well trained in search and rescue as the people that took charge (Crazy Canadian and Rob Blair)?

If that hill was going to let massively go anyways, how many people would have died if it was just a normal awesome Saturday afternoon at Bolder?

Has anybody talked to the Media about any of this? It would sure change the way that they are spinning the story if it was true. There had been no mention about the site of the avalanche not being part of the scheduled events that day in the news. It may also change some of the views of both sledders and non sledders if this information was confirmed correct and was broadcast.... Just a thought.

RIP Curtis & Shay

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish Ron would split this post up....I do not want to disrespect the familys that have lost loved ones here. My heart goes out to them....It was a very sad day for us all.

I have done some research on causes of death, and for the government to step in and say we need regulations on our sport is crazy, and the media is putting a bad slant on this, not to mention the blogs...I have been active on those the last 24 hours. I can't believe how ignorant people are to our sport.

My stats can be verified at the link below. (Alberta only!!)

Every year in ALBERTA alone we have 3400 deaths(almost 10 per day) caused by smoking.
yes, there are commercials to scare you and WARNINGS posted on every pack yet every year that many people die. 803 die from bad diet and inactivity, 107 by firearms (is this not regulated up the ying yang???) 52 for illegal drug use..... 400 people a year die from drowning in Alberta alone!! We have laws and bylaws (Calgary) that you must have life jackets on, yet on every warm day in July you will see people floating the Bow without them. 9 people a year die in Canada from Lightning strikes, and 778 people a year on bicycles in the USA. (could not find Canada)

Yes, even one death by avalanche is one to many, but put it in the proper context. There have been 6 in all of Western Canada this year. There where warnings given, ok, but why single us out??? Have we not been educating the public on Drunk Driving....fines, criminal records, loss of licence, TV ads, public opinion...yet look at those stats and the deaths associated.

SO DON'T PASS JUDGEMENT JUST ON OUR SPORT! Maybe spend the money to regulate the swimmers....or non swimmers.

Once again, my heart aches for our lost brothers....may you rest in peace.

best post yet nice work. really puts it into perspective

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Re: Revelstoke BC Avalanche Victims-Mar 13/10

Deepest condolences to everyone involved, I hope you can take a little bit of solace in knowing they left this world doing what they love.

to those left behind, may you keep them alive in your thoughts and dreams...

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
We decided to close this thread. There are new ones with some rules, please read before posting.

The first thread is for:

Giving your condolences or wishes to our fellow sledders who passed on, there families and friends, the injured and the survivors.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/revelstoke-bc-avalanche-victims-mar-13-a-28795.html

The second thread is for:

FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010 - Where you can post opinions and thoughts.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/fallout-avalanche-turbo-march-13-2010-a-28798.html

Hope this makes it easier. You must review and understand the rules here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom