Best way to lose a atv

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always get sick seeing people tie down their toys with cheap straps. Even when the packaging says a 1300 lb working load limit and you have an 800 lb toy, that strap rated at 1300 lbs, and even with 4 of them is woe-fully inadequate. Sure it will hold it in place in a static state, but put in a sudden stop or collision and those straps will snap like no bodies business. That 800 lb toy in a sudden change of motion will exert 20 times its weight in force on those little straps, and all you'll be able to do is wave good-bye. If ya spent good money on your toy, spend just a few dollars more on a good tie down system that you can trust.

It's the g load of a sudden stop that will snap the straps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The real problem is not the straps in most cases . People strap to the frame rather than the a arms .... Big No No ...when the suspension compress's totally the strap becomes loose and falls off or can snap. Most bikes have 6 to 10 inches of wheel travel ... So if you suck it down 3 inches there are still several inchs of free play !

Strap to to the lower a arms and as close to the tires as possible , the machine can bounce around and use its suspension , while the tires stay firmly planted on the deck / trailer.
If that's not bad enough there is always the brainiac who pulls the front down with a winch and no straps ... That is a potential disaster in the making ...,!

Some of these single wheel quad trailers bounce like a trampoline , do everyone a favor and tie down properly.. ....

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only had an issue once. That was with my new kdx 220 back in 93. Suspension compressed on a rough road, strap came off one of the bars and the bike played down. Slowed down to a stop but didn't lose the bike. Came close as it was up near the trailer tongue when I stopped. If the straps are starting to fray or are cut then replace them. Also the new straps have safety catches that help a lot. even if they loosen up they won't come off.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The real problem is not the straps in most cases . People strap to the frame rather than the a arms .... Big No No ...when the suspension compress's totally the strap becomes loose and falls off or can snap. Most bikes have 6 to 10 inches of wheel travel ... So if you suck it down 3 inches there are still several inchs of free play !

Strap to to the lower a arms and as close to the tires as possible , the machine can bounce around and use its suspension , while the tires stay firmly planted on the deck / trailer.
If that's not bad enough there is always the brainiac who pulls the front down with a winch and no straps ... That is a potential disaster in the making ...,!

Some of these single wheel quad trailers bounce like a trampoline , do everyone a favor and tie down properly.. ....

Good tie down tips.
I switched to the wheel straps with e track on the deck a few years ago. This is the cats azz. No problems with straps coming undone anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wheel straps are one of the better ways to secure any vehicle with tires.
Explain to me how 4 straps rated at 1300lbs each won't hold a 800b machine please????
They will hold the static load but it's the high g force from sudden moves them that breaks them. A rebounding suspension plus bouncing on a trailer can easily break the above weighing machine. Binder Dundat. Those $12 4 packs at crappy tire are no good for an atv or sxs IMO.

If you go to Gregg's and put hands on a $12 1 1/2" 2500lb ratchet strap compared to a same size and weight PA or CTire they don't come close to the same quality. For roughly $50 or so you can have 4 top quality straps that will be much stronger and safer and last a helluva lot longer. And as mentioned before avoid sharp edges.

Here is a good article to read. Scroll down to the section on proper placement. Good practises and advice.
Securing Loads Using Tie Down Straps - Pickup or Trailer

Last edited:

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you buy wheel straps for an ATV?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you buy wheel straps for an ATV?

I got mine at Princess Auto with the tracking it latches to. Works great.

johnnytrail

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI the wheel strap may not be required

I simply run good 1" straps through the holes in the rims . one strap on each wheel

works very well although takes a few minutes longer to do

if you do this check that your rims arent sharp enough to cut the straps . my aftermarket rims are smooth

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI the wheel strap may not be required

I simply run good 1" straps through the holes in the rims . one strap on each wheel

works very well although takes a few minutes longer to do

if you do this check that your rims arent sharp enough to cut the straps . my aftermarket rims are smooth
Yikes ....

Top Bottom