Best area for first Golden ride & dealerships in the area?

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might not be able to get an avi course before you ride, but the Canadian Avalanche Center (CAC) has one on line. Wouldn`t hurt to look at that. Trust your gut, if something seems sketchy, it probably is. One guy on a slope at a time. You get yourself stuck, get yourself unstuck. Look around, watch for terrain traps,etc. Lotsa stuff to look out for. Have fun and put er to the pin, and grin.

sledoboy

Reaction score
if you are going by yourselves it is recommended, a guide should have the skills already and impart such knowledge to keep ya safe. if ya have training great, no harm done but being arogant puts yer life on the line. you will be in avi terrain with the places suggested, and they are dangerous. was in the same areas a couple years ago and some sask riders, where putting our lives in danger by riding above stuck riders on very avi prone areas in gorman. obviously no training or common sense. young speedy asked for advice and i gave him some of the best you'll ever get. may even save your lives. take it as you will. i'm gonna sit back and see what happens.
+

I Just joined this mudand snow site this year and coMments like you have gave are some ofthe mostt ignorant i have ever saw. you saying "good luck u will need it. " and "SIt back and see what happens" Really how ingornat can you be to fellow sledders if you knew about the area why didnt u just help him out instead of throwing rude comments out therer. good luck in golden itll be fun. hope u guys find what you l;ooking for therre.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have u ever been to gorman sled boy ???

It's either safe or not safe.

No inbetween.

Plus in this day and age there should be no one without a ast1 course.

Mabe he was wrong to say good luck.

If u seen the young sask punks out in golden before new years u would understand.

The were telling everyone they where from sask , went to gorman , and were so proud that they had nooooooooooooo
Beacons.

U tell me

from my HTC

RyanSparrow

Reaction score
Wow. I can't believe it. That's got to be the most irresponsible thing they could do up there. Obviously they don't understand the real dangers out there. Last year I was in a staging area testing my beacon and noticed I left it on from the day before and my batteries where low. I drove 30km back to town and back to get a new set of batteries. Would never consider going up without beacon. Couldn't imagine if my buddy was buried and I couldn't find him because of a dead beacon or no beacon. Brutal. It should be no beacon no riding but I understand the local ticket booth people and clubs have enough on there plates without having to police the hills. I guess being vocal to others is the best way to make everyone aware.

orangemaddness

Reaction score
Hey guys first off thanks for the help every little bit is appreciated. Second and more importantly please don't stereo type sask people from some punks that think they are invincible some of us actually worked very hard and paid for our own equipment wasn't given to us by our daddy's. every province has those kind of people. Also I agree with the avi training just hard to get a course in southern sask. I have done every bit of research on avalanche info the Internet has to offer but never seam to be out west when a course is being offered. Thanks again and everybody have fun out there.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have u ever been to gorman sled boy ???

It's either safe or not safe.

No inbetween.

wrote off one of my brand new sleds in Gorman yrs ago! Was back in 04 on my new M1 with 26 kms on it haha Its not a 1st timers play ground!

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ok south sask punks.

That's what u want to be called.

from my HTC

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
+

I Just joined this mudand snow site this year and coMments like you have gave are some ofthe mostt ignorant i have ever saw. you saying "good luck u will need it. " and "SIt back and see what happens" Really how ingornat can you be to fellow sledders if you knew about the area why didnt u just help him out instead of throwing rude comments out there. good luck in golden it'll be fun. hope u guys find what you l;OKing for there.

so sorry, he asked for suggestions, i gave him one that may save his life. he became arrogant, got what he got. you son, just don't seem to get it yet, someday ya might, or ya may be a statistic, your choice. grow up.

as suggested get Avi training to know and understand the dangers, and how ya can stay safe. your right about not being able to get the training before your trip, best to hire a guide for a day or so so that they can show you the danger spots and how and what to do to avoid them. being belligerent accomplishes nothing, asking questions gets information. and yes your lives depend on it, especially the areas your asking about.

golden is not flat land sask. way more dangerous.

Last edited:

800 RMK

Reaction score
Hey imdoo'n, you are right on the avy comments, everybody should have some avy training.

But you seem to have the attitude about you that only Sask guys to stupid crap on the mountains. There are just as many dumb asses from Alberta as there are from Saskatchewan riding in BC.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey imdoo'n, you are right on the avy comments, everybody should have some avy training.

But you seem to have the attitude about you that only Sask guys to stupid crap on the mountains. There are just as many dumb asses from Alberta as there are from Saskatchewan riding in BC.

maybe go back a read the original posts we were talking about saskatchewan guys, not those from alberta, bc. ontario or nova scotia. if you read any of my posts they are all about getting training, education and remaining safe. maybe you should just stay on track and not read more into the thread than is posted.

Reactions: CJR

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Gorman is any place for people not familiar with the area or who don't have the proper training. I wouldnt say its a good place for a first ride of an area. Check the Golden website, its listed as expert for a reason. Its close to town and is an easier place to get to which is why people think its easy terrain, nothing could be further from the truth. Big area, big hills, big consequences if you fawk up. Not going to mince words here. Anyone saying its so tame should happily be willing to guide these fellas in there. Gorman is primed for a major incident IMO, lots of backcountry inexperience, lots of high powered sleds with little to no rider ability, and big hills. Add in bad snow conditions and its just going to take one trigger and things will go tragic. The girl at the booth does a really good job of warning people of the conditions, which I hope continues because I truly think she is saving lives even though lots probably think she is being conservative. I know some guys that got caught in Lang in a slide, 2 guys buried but both got out. Lucky lucky. All the signs were there and they just chose to ignore them.

Quartz has had several incidents in recent history, and several large scale near misses in the past couple years. Don't let the groomed trail fool you. Inexperienced riders on high powered machines cost a couple guys their sleds in 2010? when they were highmarked. Several people were extremely lucky as the avy that was triggered caught multiple riders. In early 2000's a rider was climbing Dauntless Mt (east side of cabin valley), hit the south ridge and triggered a slide that carried him into the National Park down the big south avy chute (he slid nearly 3000 ft). Very lucky to be alive. Golden in general is an area to pay the terrain the respect it deserves.

A couple pics from a Gorman day in March in 2008, one couple big slides in the back of Lang, and the whole south face of the lake came down. Black arrows are terrain traps where lots of guys were parking and turning around, red arrows are sloughs that occured that day. Avy risk was moderate to high, not more than 1 hr before, some very stupid people were highmarking the south face of the lake. Locals and out of towners alike, if you can't see the risks in these areas you are becoming complacent. Grew up in BC and been riding big hills all my life, even being in Gorman after 20 yrs on the hills gets my spidey senses tingling.

Play safe.

Attachments

• Gorman - Bad decisions.jpg
    Gorman - Bad decisions.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Sledding March 21 005.jpg
    Sledding March 21 005.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Sledding March 21 006.jpg
    Sledding March 21 006.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 161

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last pic has nothing on the end of march that slid there.

There is a reason y the green ch!t can is gone. The Avy took it.

Brought up the north 1/2 of the lake.

from my HTC

GBC

Reaction score
Well said. Grew up and live in golden. Either im super conservative or some of these guys are simply nuts... Gorman is our everyday ride but there's a handful of hills I've never touched. I've seen the aftermath of many slides.

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BUMP....this thread is bumped cause I have friends trying to get me to go here rather than silent pass - I'm no pro, but I'm no dummy. I tried to explain this area is an avy prone zone, and especially during breakup.......thanks Modman....before my dad died he used to ride Golden everyweekend in the 80's....it took all weekend just to get the old arctic cats to a play area....these days it takes 20 minutes on an 800 with a 2.5 inch track.....anyhow, think straight - drive sober.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Gorman is any place for people not familiar with the area or who don't have the proper training. I wouldnt say its a good place for a first ride of an area. Check the Golden website, its listed as expert for a reason. Its close to town and is an easier place to get to which is why people think its easy terrain, nothing could be further from the truth. Big area, big hills, big consequences if you fawk up. Not going to mince words here. Anyone saying its so tame should happily be willing to guide these fellas in there. Gorman is primed for a major incident IMO, lots of backcountry inexperience, lots of high powered sleds with little to no rider ability, and big hills. Add in bad snow conditions and its just going to take one trigger and things will go tragic. The girl at the booth does a really good job of warning people of the conditions, which I hope continues because I truly think she is saving lives even though lots probably think she is being conservative. I know some guys that got caught in Lang in a slide, 2 guys buried but both got out. Lucky lucky. All the signs were there and they just chose to ignore them.

Quartz has had several incidents in recent history, and several large scale near misses in the past couple years. Don't let the groomed trail fool you. Inexperienced riders on high powered machines cost a couple guys their sleds in 2010? when they were highmarked. Several people were extremely lucky as the avy that was triggered caught multiple riders. In early 2000's a rider was climbing Dauntless Mt (east side of cabin valley), hit the south ridge and triggered a slide that carried him into the National Park down the big south avy chute (he slid nearly 3000 ft). Very lucky to be alive. Golden in general is an area to pay the terrain the respect it deserves.

A couple pics from a Gorman day in March in 2008, one couple big slides in the back of Lang, and the whole south face of the lake came down. Black arrows are terrain traps where lots of guys were parking and turning around, red arrows are sloughs that occured that day. Avy risk was moderate to high, not more than 1 hr before, some very stupid people were highmarking the south face of the lake. Locals and out of towners alike, if you can't see the risks in these areas you are becoming complacent. Grew up in BC and been riding big hills all my life, even being in Gorman after 20 yrs on the hills gets my spidey senses tingling.

Play safe.
have to agree with mr. modman, it is primed for a major disaster, and right now the weather and snow pack is ready to oblige, you can't even get to the lake without xing major avi terrain, play safe.

you see snowballs rolling down hill, the snow is telling you something, ask yourself what?

Last edited:
Top Bottom