Bell Expressvu or Starchoice?

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running with Bell for almost 2 years now. Once the service is running as it should it's been good.
The original install while building the house, the tech told me he was getting voltage in the cable and I needed to have my electrician fix it. The electrician my builder used was great and agreed to check out the problem. He checked the cable at the dish and fixed the connectors outside at the dish. Problem solved. For a while we were losing channels a lot on windy days, snowy days and rainy days. Thought Bell sucked and when we talked to a rep they said that's not normal at all. Called Bell service and they sent a guy out. He secured the dish. They tried to charge me the extra $75 for the service call but I argued that I shouldn't have to pay for a crappy initial install and they agreed.
We bought the boxes outright thinking that renting for $10/month would be too much over time. A month after the PVR box warranty expired, the box expired. I am really surprised they treat a $450 piece of electronics as a throw-away. No offers or suggestions for repair just options to buy or rent another. $450 would have gotten me 45 months instead of 14.
If Telus provides the same level of service with Sat like their cell phones, I'll never get their Sat!

BTW - anyone know if a Bell PVR box can be repaired?

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know Bell's customer service can be complete chit, but really, how often do you have to deal with them? There's no comparison between Bell and *Choice's equipment. I've had Bell for quite a few years now and have had the 9200 dual tuner PVR since '07. Wouldn't have anything else.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know Bell's customer service can be complete chit, but really, how often do you have to deal with them? There's no comparison between Bell and *Choice's equipment. I've had Bell for quite a few years now and have had the 9200 dual tuner PVR since '07. Wouldn't have anything else.

you would be singing a different tune if they cut you off every month because their computer did not show a direct payment set up then each time tell you they fixed the problem only to happen again. Oh well their loss Star Choice's gain I guess. :beer:

Swiper

Reaction score
Running with Bell for almost 2 years now. Once the service is running as it should it's been good.
The original install while building the house, the tech told me he was getting voltage in the cable and I needed to have my electrician fix it. The electrician my builder used was great and agreed to check out the problem. He checked the cable at the dish and fixed the connectors outside at the dish. Problem solved. For a while we were losing channels a lot on windy days, snowy days and rainy days. Thought Bell sucked and when we talked to a rep they said that's not normal at all. Called Bell service and they sent a guy out. He secured the dish. They tried to charge me the extra $75 for the service call but I argued that I shouldn't have to pay for a crappy initial install and they agreed.
We bought the boxes outright thinking that renting for $10/month would be too much over time. A month after the PVR box warranty expired, the box expired. I am really surprised they treat a $450 piece of electronics as a throw-away. No offers or suggestions for repair just options to buy or rent another. $450 would have gotten me 45 months instead of 14.
If Telus provides the same level of service with Sat like their cell phones, I'll never get their Sat!

BTW - anyone know if a Bell PVR box can be repaired?

Get the extended warranty from bell.

Cost six dollars a month includes all of your hardware.

only thing is only two claims every two years so i never use it for anything except receivers.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Starchoice is what we use. Customer service is excellent, they speak English. Only problems we had was I had bought an HD receiver from BestBuy and it quit working after a few weeks. Phones CS and they told me that they would send out a new one and that I should send the broken one back, no charges to me and in less than a week I had the new reciever and it has been no problem since.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've got Telus, or "Bellus" as they call it... If you can bundle up some of their services it can save you some money in the long run. We bundle their high speed internet, phone, and sat and it saves us about $50 a month as compared to what we used to pay when all of the services were seperate. I know you can't get their high speed out of the City but they may be able to do somthing with just bundling your phone service. Support has been great. Installers were great. We rent the HW vs buying it. As mentioned before the warranty will then cover you throughout the contract vs saving $20 and only having a 3 year warranty. We had Starchoice before for a long time. It will take a bit to get used to the new HW and guide, but now that we've had it we love it. Let me know if you have any more questions...

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got my Bell bill this month and its $0.00 ????
I'm sure next month there is going to be a problem

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had Bell for 15years, no problems at all. I would have still been with them except they wanted us off the old package and onto the new improved more money package. I am on telus now, picture is not as clear as bells. My brother had star choice it is not as good as bell. imo.

Top Bottom