Sure seems to be an awful lot of SARs posts for missing riders this year

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me.
But it sure seems like I've seen a lot of posts on social media for missing riders this season.

I don't mean any disrespect as i understand stuff happens, decisions are made. But I am curious as to why.

For the SARs guys, are you finding its more of a lack of experience or more the over complacent mind set of "It wont happen to me"?

The guys in Renshaw, in my opinion, did the right thing by hunckering down when they realized the storms to bad to try and poke out. So maybe its more a weather related issue?

Its troublesome to see so many posts on missing riders. When we have so much technology today and means to avoid these types of situations. Us as a group need to stop the trend. Start making better decisions and have at least 1 sat communication device in the group.

Just my two cents.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me.
But it sure seems like I've seen a lot of posts on social media for missing riders this season.

I don't mean any disrespect as i understand stuff happens, decisions are made. But I am curious as to why.

For the SARs guys, are you finding its more of a lack of experience or more the over complacent mind set of "It wont happen to me"?

The guys in Renshaw, in my opinion, did the right thing by hunckering down when they realized the storms to bad to try and poke out. So maybe its more a weather related issue?

Its troublesome to see so many posts on missing riders. When we have so much technology today and means to avoid these types of situations. Us as a group need to stop the trend. Start making better decisions and have at least 1 sat communication device in the group.

Just my two cents.

yea, this can all be avoided by having ONE sat communicator in the group. A simple text can save alot of effort, resources, time, frustration and worry. You dont necessarily need to dispatch SAR and have your family worried if you are just hunkering down for a weather situation. Theres a common theme with all of these SARs, no one seems to know whats going on because there is no communication so i think everyone needs to fix that first.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not been a SAR member now second season, so almost 2 years. So my in put might not be worth much.
But i think it is related to an influx of new to the sport riders. I see more and more new and newish iron out there and with the addition of sleds that are easy to ride and people lacking in experience and respect, for the environment they are in. It would make sense to see an increase in people getting into trouble. I believe this trend will continue as more new riders enter the sport and sleds become more potent and easy to ride.
But i also think it will eventually balance out as these new riders learn and get the proper training with experience but only time will do that. jmo

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Inexperience and no communication devices. For sure. None of you actually reading this likely needs to hear it, but If you've been putting off getting one because you may never need it, you should reconsider. Split it with a buddy or two. You'll end up using it more than you think. I used it on Saturday to let my wife know we had machine trouble and weren't going to be down until after dark. Saves her from checking her phone every 5 minutes to see if i've read a text.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find I use mine year round.
Sledding
Quadding
If I'm driving to visit family in BC I take it. Lots of areas still without cell coverage.
I take it on hikes as well.
Handy little devices.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find I use mine year round.
Sledding
Quadding
If I'm driving to visit family in BC I take it. Lots of areas still without cell coverage.
I take it on hikes as well.
Handy little devices.

exactly. With limited cell coverage on BC highways mines always in my truck. Come up on an accident could save a life.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another advantage to the Spot/zoleo/inreach is the coordinate provided to SAR. I am not officially on SAR but i am asked to help with some of the technical rescues and recoveries if required. And from that perspective it sure is nice knowing the location so you can look at it on the computer and decipher if you have been there before, best access, what kind of a team you are going to need, and what ( if any ) special equipment might be required. Can certainly save valuable time looking for a needle in a haystack, which might be easier than trying to find a lost rider in a massive area like renshaw.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100% Agreed, not to mention the response time knowing the coordinates. There have been times when SAR had coordinates, and radioed members on the hill out riding and had searchers to lost riders in under 30 min.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed as well. I heard about a SAR call out last night in the Revelstoke Area for a late party but the person calling in had no idea what mountain they were on. At first they thought Boulder, then Eagles, finally the RCMP found the missing guy's truck in the Owlshead parking lot which in itself could mean they're lost on Owlshead, Hunters, Blue Lake, Griffin or somewhere in between. One big thing is to let your people back home know what your plans are so a whole bunch of resources aren't spent just trying to locate your starting point.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I would agree that at least one COMPETANT person from each group should have a communication device. I have my Garman In-reach explorer+ that works well and quick. I have several known areas and specific points marked as waypoints in the GPS, so if I come across a situation where I need to use my device I have different points I can track to even in white out situations. I have conducted more than one S&R and was able to text back and have SAR aware what the situation was and where exactly we were and even if there was a good landing area for a chopper. I was also able to communicate injuries and steps taken. I received texts back within minutes as well, these devices work.

I was in the Renshaw a few bowls past the saddle there was 2 guys that dropped down the drop of doom and was wondering how they get out and if they have to go back up. They were new to the area. We just pointed at two ways out, but barry said you would be best to go the way you came if you dont know the area.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the lost group reads this, i have a Spot X (non-bluetooth) for sale for $150.00 still in the box. Every Rider should have something, as sometimes when something goes sideways, it may be the guy with the communication device that is missing/injured.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me.

Just my two cents.

Sure they did the right thing by hunkering down, but they made two key mistakes. 1. Not carrying an inreach on the mountain with them. This would of eliminated any worry or search efforts. 2. Unfamiliar with the area and with the forecast for the day, yes it can change quickly. But that is why on the days where a storm system is expected you get in, get after it and get out. Not always perfect, but will leave you in a better situation more often than not. Its disappointing seeing all these SNR calls due to unpreparedness.

Reactions: RXN

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also do this, even on a skiing trip this past weekend I brought it with me. You never know, I'm paying a monthly subscription so better with me than sitting turned off at home.
What is the cost of the monthly subscription?

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Mine is $30 a month, minimum plan on my Delorme (Garmin) Inreach explorer. I use it to text once in a while which is $0.10 per message

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have 4 of us in our group that have inreaches.
Even when we get separated or hit the same hill at different times of the day. We can message eachother and get eachothers location.

Funny, we have done the same as well. Don’t need it very often with the new radios, but it’s nice when someone in the group gets a late start or has to go down into town

Reactions: RXN

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

During the winter months I have the unlimited plan $47.20 per month, I have this with me all the time at work as well so I pay for the plan with my company. I previously had the downgrade plan but found when tracking is on and text messages you end up paying huge. So in summer I will put down to the $30 month plan. Well worth the money for the piece of mind.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a s+r call out for my area recently, guys couldn't find their way off the glacier.
It can get ugly up there quickly but a GPS or compass would easily get you out.

Top Bottom