Sure seems to be an awful lot of SARs posts for missing riders this year

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I often wonder that when you see people renting beacons.
Good on them for renting them. But can they use them?

Probably not, but you have to start somewhere. my first few trips to the mountains my dad always rented us beacons from the gas station. The good SOS ones LOL. we would play around with them a bit to get a general understanding of them but certainly not trained by any means. Im still alive, and looking back now for the first while we never strayed far from the cabin. I think if someone is just getting into the sport or just getting back into it renting is fine and we cant expect everyone to get a full AST1 or 2 for their first couple of trips. Hopefully the folks that rent them give a basic explanation of operation and people take it upon themselves to get familiar with the basic functions. Once they are hooked on riding im sure most people will further their training.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jus cause ya bought an expert don’t make ya one. 10000 hrs of saddle time accomplishes that only.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It a situational awareness discipline, that does somewhat come with experience in scenarios. Listening and learning from others that have experienced problems, is the first step before heading into the field.

There is a old pilot saying that I remember, “Learn from other peoples mistakes, you may not survive your own”

Last edited:

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jus cause ya bought an expert don’t make ya one. 10000 hrs of saddle time accomplishes that only.

Attended Avalanche Symposium in 1987 about 400 people 4 snowmobilers,6 Climbers and the rest skiers.One of the main Speakers was from Europe and was introduced as the most Experienced Avalanche Expert on the Planet.As the older fellow spoke into the Mic,his opening remark was check with me in another 20 yrs if I’m still alive you can give me that title as he laughed.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It a situational awareness discipline, that does somewhat come with experience in scenarios. Listening and learning to others that have experienced problems, is the first step before heading into the field.

There is a old pilot saying that I remember, “Learn from other peoples mistakes, you may not survive your own”

A lot of truth to that,turning the Boost down on Testosterone Level can show positive results as well.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take the opportunity to educate and not ridicule. We were all there 20 years ago doing the same thing.

With new technology, yes it is much easier to be prepared, but not everyone is going to have the best of the best.

This is so important. No one wants to feel like they don’t know what there are doing and be embarrassed. I was teaching the girlfriend how to use hers the other weekend in valemount. I said you need to learn or might as well not even have it (other than being found if caught in an avalanche) I wonder how many guys who haven’t taken an AST1 actually know how to operate or are just a liability in a search.

I was in her position 10 years ago so am always willing to teach those who want to learn

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me.
But it sure seems like I've seen a lot of posts on social media for missing riders this season.

I don't mean any disrespect as i understand stuff happens, decisions are made. But I am curious as to why.

For the SARs guys, are you finding its more of a lack of experience or more the over complacent mind set of "It wont happen to me"?

The guys in Renshaw, in my opinion, did the right thing by hunckering down when they realized the storms to bad to try and poke out. So maybe its more a weather related issue?

Its troublesome to see so many posts on missing riders. When we have so much technology today and means to avoid these types of situations. Us as a group need to stop the trend. Start making better decisions and have at least 1 sat communication device in the group.

Just my two cents.

Here is a link to all those SAR calls with a brief description......
A quick look, appears that sledders are the best prepared with devices....

But I did not analyze the year........LOL
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...ency-response-and-recovery/incident-summaries

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Just read this in the reports 3 Robson Valley SAR members responded to an SOS Beacon activation involving a snowmobiler in the Renshaw area. SAR was stood down by the RCMP after the snowmobiler's friends were able to reach him and dig out his snowmobile. That's a strange one, am I reading this correctly, the guy was stuck and had no one around so hit the SOS. We need some common sense as well, have a radio and radio your friends.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take the opportunity to educate and not ridicule. We were all there 20 years ago doing the same thing.

With new technology, yes it is much easier to be prepared, but not everyone is going to have the best of the best.

Don't need the best of the best but gotta be able to use your head. Honestly, I can go for a ride in the hills any day and avoid avy terrain, no need for all the gear. I carry it regardless but you can choose your terrain etc and think about your choices. 20 yrs ago we didn't have the access to tech and information that we do now. Absolutely no excuse for something like "I don't know what the avy conditions are like today".

That being said - its time for tough love for some of these other folks. Been that guy trying to help too many times and it got old far too long ago. See it on this website all the time, guys wanting to share "tracks" etc. Following my path is only going to get you into trouble likely. Ran into a group in Fernie, "lost" on the trail (yes that's not a typo) didn't bother to look up the trail map so they had their phone out and were trying to get cell service to figure out where they were going. They had followed a random truck of sleds from the station. They were stopped in the middle of the bluffs about 4 kms from the Morrissey staging area (pretty much the only avy spot on the trail....). So I stopped and put myself in danger to see if they were OK and to explain to them that its a terrible spot to park. Sh!t like this has to stop. They likely used their cell phone to research every other aspect of their trip but couldn't take 2 mins to get to the Fernie club site.

There is simply far too much lack of critical thinking going on. Like if I go up (or down) this area, what are the consequences and how will I plan to avoid them? Riding until dark is a great example. Why ride until the daylight is gone, and only THEN decide to head out? Why not make a conscious decision at noon to ride until 3-4, and be planning your way back at that point? You got stranded and couldn't light a fire because you don't carry a basic kit? That's fine in July, but did anyone tell you it gets cold in February? Stupid has to stop.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is so important. No one wants to feel like they don’t know what there are doing and be embarrassed. I was teaching the girlfriend how to use hers the other weekend in valemount. I said you need to learn or might as well not even have it (other than being found if caught in an avalanche) I wonder how many guys who haven’t taken an AST1 actually know how to operate or are just a liability in a search.

I was in her position 10 years ago so am always willing to teach those who want to learn
Have you ever gone to the BRP/Frozen pirate evening course at Martins? Amazing how many people have beacons but didn't even know how to switch to search, or to remove shovel,probe,from pack and have beacon ready to search was a 15 min ordeal. Yes I also feel ast1 really helps people to understand beacon search

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a desire never to load up in the dark, i hate it. So off the mountain before dark for me always. But hey what do i know.
I don't even ride my bike in the dark LOL. TOO SCRARY for this guy.

Reactions: RXN

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you ever gone to the BRP/Frozen pirate evening course at Martins? Amazing how many people have beacons but didn't even know how to switch to search, or to remove shovel,probe,from pack and have beacon ready to search was a 15 min ordeal. Yes I also feel ast1 really helps people to understand beacon search

Went with a few cousins who had not taken an AST1 to introduce them to avalanche safety. My riding group of 3 was pretty much the only group who had their AST1. What was more surprising was everyone who had not taken their AST1 (course cost of less than $400) had $800 air bag backpacks.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too inconvenient... until they need it. It's embarrassing... who doesn't take 1 evening and 1 riding day to understand WAAY more about what they're doin? Answer: too many

Top Bottom