Sure seems to be an awful lot of SARs posts for missing riders this year

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But I'm sure they are all "experienced" like we always hear. Which is total bull**** and if you're not experienced then you should be called out on it. Less than 10 yrs in the hills, you are not experienced. Period. Just cuz you hunt, fish, mountain bike, take walks in the park with your wife doesn't mean jack **** that you know about how to extract a sled from a creek, or that you are too dumb to realize that what you can in 45 mins will take you all day to walk out of. So if you think that dropping that drainage is possible because you saw Burandt do it on Youtube, well its not and you don't have the power, skills and knowledge how to get yourself out, so just please stop.

Having SAT comms doesn't mean much if you don't know to use it. People use their inReach/Spot etc to call for help before they've even tried to figure their own **** out. Heard of a group that recently got lost in Radium up on a glacier, weather came in on them, pushed the button for SAR, pulled people away from the dinner table etc, eventually got rescued.

My first question was........They were on a giant plateau. why didn't they simply use the map on their inReach to track their way back to the main valley? fawking Amateur hour out there folks.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find I use mine year round.
Sledding
Quadding
If I'm driving to visit family in BC I take it. Lots of areas still without cell coverage.
I take it on hikes as well.
Handy little devices.
x2 Make use year round.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the cost of the monthly subscription?

My inReach basic package is $15 per month. Unlimited preset messages and a few free composed text messages per month. I only ever use the preset messages and would generally only use the standard texting in an emergency.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure they did the right thing by hunkering down, but they made two key mistakes. 1. Not carrying an inreach on the mountain with them. This would of eliminated any worry or search efforts. 2. Unfamiliar with the area and with the forecast for the day, yes it can change quickly. But that is why on the days where a storm system is expected you get in, get after it and get out. Not always perfect, but will leave you in a better situation more often than not. Its disappointing seeing all these SNR calls due to unpreparedness.

Or follow your gps track out. Didn’t sound like they had one.

If it’s really white and you don’t know if your actually moving or just Revving the engine without engaging the belt is when the Polaris gps gauge is worth every penny.

Stopping to pull your gps out of your pocket will give you vertigo!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed as well. I heard about a SAR call out last night in the Revelstoke Area for a late party but the person calling in had no idea what mountain they were on. At first they thought Boulder, then Eagles, finally the RCMP found the missing guy's truck in the Owlshead parking lot which in itself could mean they're lost on Owlshead, Hunters, Blue Lake, Griffin or somewhere in between. One big thing is to let your people back home know what your plans are so a whole bunch of resources aren't spent just trying to locate your starting point.
Actually it was the sled club that checked the lots for the truck and found it at owls , not eagles

Eagles pass is covered by revy which is crazy lol

And yes my same question, why are there guys that switch trip plans, but don't tell the other people

And yes there is many, many places not part of the sled clubs they could have went to ride

Really, really no brain cells used

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But I'm sure they are all "experienced" like we always hear. Which is total bull**** and if you're not experienced then you should be called out on it. Less than 10 yrs in the hills, you are not experienced. Period. Just cuz you hunt, fish, mountain bike, take walks in the park with your wife doesn't mean jack **** that you know about how to extract a sled from a creek, or that you are too dumb to realize that what you can in 45 mins will take you all day to walk out of. So if you think that dropping that drainage is possible because you saw Burandt do it on Youtube, well its not and you don't have the power, skills and knowledge how to get yourself out, so just please stop.

Having SAT comms doesn't mean much if you don't know to use it. People use their inReach/Spot etc to call for help before they've even tried to figure their own **** out. Heard of a group that recently got lost in Radium up on a glacier, weather came in on them, pushed the button for SAR, pulled people away from the dinner table etc, eventually got rescued.

My first question was........They were on a giant plateau. why didn't they simply use the map on their inReach to track their way back to the main valley? fawking Amateur hour out there folks.
That be called natural selection lol.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Excellent, excellent post.
Did you know every time the BC SARs is called out to help a report is filed by the commanding officer on the rescue. These reports are used for a number of reasons, one to help improve and train personnel. This is not the local club search group but the provincial SARs.
These reports have shown us that the majority of call's is inexperience combined with panic and ill equip.
Here is another fact from the reports, age has little to do with it. Young or older, if you lack in experience your more prone to making mistakes.
Here is the kicker, the majority of rescues involve people with less then 5 years experience and those with less then 10 years are nearly 50% less prone.
So yes it takes years to gain confidence and experience. As you said 10yrs i would agree.

BTW, i just wanted to say, riding skills has nothing to do with experience.

Last edited:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too many wanna learn the hard way. Unfortunately sometimes the cost can be incredibly high for the risk. Month ago crew from Saskatoon was at Chapel. They went down to the lake dropped in an one of theirs blew a belt. It got heli out. Ran into experienced group. When asked if had spare belt? Not one in the group. Think 8 in their bunch an only 1 had a beacon. Only 1 had shovel. Rolling big fawking dice playing like that.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too many wanna learn the hard way. Unfortunately sometimes the cost can be incredibly high for the risk. Month ago crew from Saskatoon was at Chapel. They went down to the lake dropped in an one of theirs blew a belt. It got heli out. Ran into experienced group. When asked if had spare belt? Not one in the group. Think 8 in their bunch an only 1 had a beacon. Only 1 had shovel. Rolling big fawking dice playing like that.

I've seen dudes like that here in BC and around my neighborhood. Here is even a more common problem, groups riding with all the GADGETS and NO idea on how to use them, it looks good though.
Thus why i called it a gadget. It is as good as the owner wearing it.
It only becomes a tool in your tool box when you know how to use it properly and effectively.
A reason why i don't just ride with anyone even though they have the gear, the big question is, do you know how to use it effectively?

Again we are back to experience.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Jeeeesus, that's just gives me goosebumps... faaack, how can you not carry a spare belt ? And no beacon ?

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that's exactly it, pay someone on the hill a few brown ones for a belt, surely someone has one.

I dont head to the hills without 3 belts, the main belt, a broken in spare on the sled, and a brand new one in the trailer.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you justify the cost of a heli for simply a blown belt? LOL

More money than brains.
Jeeeesus, that's just gives me goosebumps... faaack, how can you not carry a spare belt ? And no beacon ?

Whats the point of a beacon if you or those your with don't know what it is, how to use it or more importantly how to avoid the need to use it?

Last edited:

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen dudes like that here in BC and around my neighborhood. Here is even a more common problem, groups riding with all the GADGETS and NO idea on how to use them, it looks good though.
Thus why i called it a gadget. It is as good as the owner wearing it.
It only becomes a tool in your tool box when you know how to use it properly and effectively.
A reason why i don't just ride with anyone even though they have the gear, the big question is, do you know how to use it effectively?

Again we are back to experience.

Yep and exactly why my boys and I are very fussy about who we ride with. We are all carrying the gear plus some more. I’ve had people look at my tunnel bag and question why I have so much stuff. Answer: if sh*t goes sideways you will be happy I’m here.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawking meat heads

Wow

Two years ago on the snow and mud ride there, we found a young kid stick and separated from his group, he told my buddy he turned his beacon on so they could find him

Like ffs, crazy people out there

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep and exactly why my boys and I are very fussy about who we ride with. We are all carrying the gear plus some more. I’ve had people look at my tunnel bag and question why I have so much stuff. Answer: if sh*t goes sideways you will be happy I’m here.
You remember that kid in Chapple that weekend we were there for the snow and mud ride??

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawking meat heads

Wow

Two years ago on the snow and mud ride there, we found a young kid stick and separated from his group, he told my buddy he turned his beacon on so they could find him

Like ffs, crazy people out there

Holy ****...hard to believe eh. It's a miracle people are coming home alive.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More money than brains.

Whats the point of a beacon if you or those your with don't know what it is, how to use it or more importantly how to avoid the need to use it?

I often wonder that when you see people renting beacons.
Good on them for renting them. But can they use them?

Top Bottom