BC and deleted truck

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So to crunch a few numbers:
1) $2500 average to install delete and $2500 to take it out when you have to sell or trade truck =$5K
2) A estimated actual gain of 4mpg (20% of 20Mpg)
3) A generous average of $1.50/l for diesel as an average for the next 5 years starting today
4) An average stock rating of 20mpg for your truck
5) It will take you about 130,000km on your vehicle to break even to pay off the delete
6) Add in any tickets and it will take longer (we won't put a price on aggravation/pissing/moaning ect.LOL)
7) If the cost of diesel is below $1.50 average over the next 5 years it will take even longer to pay off the delete

Just in case any one is wondering why 5 years - that is how long in my personnel truck it takes me to drive 130,000km.
If you drive more the delete becomes a better deal-just don't forget to acknowledge items 6 & 7 - they can easily stretch equalization out to 160,000km.

Hence the reason why my truck will be staying stock - no sound economical justification for my case to do the delete - to much upfront cost before a saving is realized years down the road.

A bit off topic ........... but not really.
Enjoy your oakleys if you must.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So to crunch a few numbers:
1) $2500 average to install delete and $2500 to take it out when you have to sell or trade truck =$5K
2) A estimated actual gain of 4mpg (20% of 20Mpg)
3) A generous average of $1.50/l for diesel as an average for the next 5 years starting today
4) An average stock rating of 20mpg for your truck
5) It will take you about 130,000km on your vehicle to break even to pay off the delete
6) Add in any tickets and it will take longer (we won't put a price on aggravation/pissing/moaning ect.LOL)
7) If the cost of diesel is below $1.50 average over the next 5 years it will take even longer to pay off the delete

Just in case any one is wondering why 5 years - that is how long in my personnel truck it takes me to drive 130,000km.
If you drive more the delete becomes a better deal-just don't forget to acknowledge items 6 & 7 - they can easily stretch equalization out to 160,000km.

Hence the reason why my truck will be staying stock - no sound economical justification for my case to do the delete - to much upfront cost before a saving is realized years down the road.

A bit off topic ........... but not really.
Enjoy your oakleys if you must.

Exactially! Biggest gain is to the guys in the patch that idle all day, and cannot afford to have their truck in the shop due to emissions related issues.
A mech at dodge said to me when I was thinking of deleting my 07, if your not have problems leave it the fack alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cop told me three is the min.
If yah really want to worry about lights any truck with a sled deck with the sides out or hauling a trailer wider than 8ft wide has to have clearance lights on the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technically yes you are correct.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy did a delete to his 11 duramax, I left mine stock.. We both pulled similar trailers to Revy folowing one another.. Started with full tanks.. I was shocked at when I was empty by Calgary and he said just under 1/2 tank, by the end of the five day trip he used two less diesel tanks compared to what I did or close to 230 litres.. And we know what diesel cost in Revy ..

somewhat sad what emissions have done to our diesels, I have deleted three of my urea farm implements and save a few totes a year of def with better mileage.. Might be a 4 year payoff, but at least I know it will run threw critical times and the delete is a quick harness away from stock

as for Hiway I keep them stock, just not worth the hassle, I have a buddy that runs a trucking business.. He had bought 6 newer semi trucks that had emissions, had so much downtime that he deleted them, then found that no oem dealers would work or warrenty anything.. Sold them all and went back to pre 07 and been happy..

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hell I bought mine last year March with 104 in the dash. Now reads 131000. Deleted thanks Ric.

The more you drive the better deal the delete is, it only took you 1.5 years to break even on the delete cost. Now if you drive the same truck another 130,000km you should save roughly $5,000.
If you have any warranty problems not covered because of the delete, breaking even is not likely.
It still suits the needs of some for Caper11's and fredw's reasons.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Randy.... Wait til u start having emission problems.... It may or may not happen to u, however the def does freeze and can cause some problems. U also stated $2500 to remove system? If u kept old system, takes about 3 hours to reassemble... The gas mileage is important, but most do it due to emission related problem. Why pay minimum $1500+ to replace a plugged dpf or leaking erg cooler, so might as well delete. Plus the extra power is welcome when towing, and the extra goodies that tuners allow, like the fog lites on with low and hi beams.... So many benefits to it.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Randy.... Wait til u start having emission problems.... It may or may not happen to u, however the def does freeze and can cause some problems. U also stated $2500 to remove system? If u kept old system, takes about 3 hours to reassemble... The gas mileage is important, but most do it due to emission related problem. Why pay minimum $1500+ to replace a plugged dpf or leaking erg cooler, so might as well delete. Plus the extra power is welcome when towing, and the extra goodies that tuners allow, like the fog lites on with low and hi beams.... So many benefits to it.

Sounds like I might be missing my old truck Ric!

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 duramax deleted at 131000 Kms .
$1500 to repair urea pump or $2100 to delete.
Not one problem till pump went and almost just replaced the pump.
No need for more power and liked not having the smell.
If everything is working leave it alone . IMO

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 duramax deleted at 131000 Kms .
$1500 to repair urea pump or $2100 to delete.
Not one problem till pump went and almost just replaced the pump.
No need for more power and liked not having the smell.
If everything is working leave it alone . IMO
There is now a extended policy for most of the def-dpf issues for the 11 -12 trucks to 193000 km, just a heads up guys

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what can be done to stop the freezing problem. I heard that this is caused when the tank is filled to full.
Keep filled to 95%?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
So what can be done to stop the freezing problem. I heard that this is caused when the tank is filled to full.
Keep filled to 95%?
There is a urea heater in the truck, I don't think I've ever fully filled my def tank other than when the dealer had to put the new pump/heater in it a week after we bought it. After the new pump/heater I've not had an issue.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a urea heater in the truck, I don't think I've ever fully filled my def tank other than when the dealer had to put the new pump/heater in it a week after we bought it. After the new pump/heater I've not had an issue.
There's actually 3 heaters for the def

One in the feed to injector line, one in the pump itself, one in the tank itself

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had four duramaxes with uera installed.. Not one of them so far has caused one code, one ounce of problem.. My 11 had to be refilled every 8000kms same as 13 and the 15s are every 4000kms under towing heavy.. So still not to bad a problem overall

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keeping my new truck stock an the new deck will have the extension and lights. Leave earlier, drive 100kph and no issues. 800# of torque - exactly how much more do you need??

Ooooooh you need to roll coal in your white oakleys to be a cool Oilbertan!
Delete at your own risk.

How many extra MPGs do you really get and what is the cost of the delete? How many 1000s of km to break even?

So how do you really feel!

Top Bottom