Basic Tool Requirements.

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what everyone carries for basic tools for emergency repairs on the hill. I know in our group it's usually only one guy who takes extra tools and we all have borrowed from him at one time or another. What does everyone else carry with them in thier tool rolls?

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Small set of allien wrenches metric and standard,small crescent wrench,needle nose vise grips and zip ties.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what everyone carries for basic tools for emergency repairs on the hill. I know in our group it's usually only one guy who takes extra tools and we all have borrowed from him at one time or another. What does everyone else carry with them in thier tool rolls?

LOL, I'm that guy. Really depends on where I'm going.

Somewhere within 20kms of town: Full set of sockets, cresent wrench, some generic "most bolt" wrenches, 10mm and 13 mm, hay wire, tape, electrical connectors and a short chunk of 12 gauge wire, snap ring pliers, spare bearing for idler wheel, vise grips, leatherman, full set of main jets for the elevation I'm riding at (have a full full set that stays at home and I just take the ones I need), another set of needles and tubes, full set of spare plugs (BR7s to BR10's - two of each), two spare plug caps and one extra wire, a few assorted nuts and bolts and a tow strap.

Farther out of town: All of the above, plus extra secondary clutch, all springs and weights (pin kit), manuals, extra voltage regulator and coils, clutch holder, puller, plus a few more specialized tools.

Edit: looked in the bag last night and added a few other things that I forgot - spare rope for starter, fuel transfer hose with primer bulb, flexible LED light for piston inspection (tmix reminded me of that) and a universal screwdriver

Last edited:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm LOL as I read this 2 years ago we went out with a couple fellas from work. Well the one guy had a 700 Yammie mountain max totally bastardized 2inch pipe lift kit on the ski's and some other wild home made mods. Anyway he got stuck with that thing all day long, nose dive after nose dive. Thing he would be the one to break down, wrong we had a LGT leak on another sled, we needed a socket to get at on part, so Mr. MM pulled out a complete socket set good for 1/8 all the way up to well over a inch as well as complete metric to 22mm. We all stood shocked and pissed as we had dug him out all day and we have the reason why. To had salt to the wound he then pulled a 4l jug of LGT to top off the leaky sled. He also had a full wrench wrap plus 8-10 cans of beer all under the hood of that tank. Funny now but I think I could have killed him, I must have helped him dig that thing out 10 times that day. We still sled with him now but we made him buy a REV.LOL

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
zip ties
duct tape
allen wrenches
pliers
leatherman
small socket set - cheap canadian tire special - sockets are easy to dropin the snow when you have cold hands
plug wrench
extra plugs
screwdriver with the extra ends in the handle
small wind-up flashlight
packs up nice and neat under the hood of the s-chassis havn't tried on rev yet.

Only needed it on the hill once last year, and happened to be the only day I forgat it, due to repairs the night before, happened at mountain mania, needed allen wrench for manifold bolt......I think i used one from summitrics took kit. (pretty sure that was who it was):d:d(thanks again!)

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
zip ties
duct tape
allen wrenches
pliers
leatherman
small socket set - cheap canadian tire special - sockets are easy to dropin the snow when you have cold hands
plug wrench
extra plugs
screwdriver with the extra ends in the handle
small wind-up flashlight
packs up nice and neat under the hood of the s-chassis havn't tried on rev yet.

Only needed it on the hill once last year, and happened to be the only day I forgat it, due to repairs the night before, happened at mountain mania, needed allen wrench for manifold bolt......I think i used one from summitrics took kit. (pretty sure that was who it was):d:d(thanks again!)

Pretty much the same with some haywire and spark plug caps. Oh yeah and yamanuts.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take him and MODMAN you should be able to rebuild your sled on the trail:d:d

LOL. About 10 years ago we were at Tumbler Ridge and one of the guys was riding an ancient 340 Freeair. It quit on him fairly close to the Core Lodge. He told us to keep riding, he'd get it running and catch up to us. He pulled the engine out and carried it to the truck. Drove into town. Fixed it. Drove back. Reinstalled it and found us. That was incredible.

Crowfoot

Reaction score
agree with kit with treemonger additon, should also include about 20 feet of light weight nylon rope and an exhaust spring tool. unless your opening up a service station take the size that fits your sled. Look to common prob areas for what sizes you need:
handle bar mounted controls (2-3 allen keys)
tools to service carb(long screwdriver, drain cap, main jet
manifold bolt/allen wrench
torx for body panel
should have light weight socket wrench, with 4-5 sockets
electric tape
check what size fuse's you need tape one under the hood of frame part
spare exhaust springs

your regular maintenance kit has service tools for main parts. I found factory wrenchs to be poor quailty, replace with resonable ones.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL. About 10 years ago we were at Tumbler Ridge and one of the guys was riding an ancient 340 Freeair. It quit on him fairly close to the Core Lodge. He told us to keep riding, he'd get it running and catch up to us. He pulled the engine out and carried it to the truck. Drove into town. Fixed it. Drove back. Reinstalled it and found us. That was incredible.

Dropped into a bowl one time in the back of Snowater near Nelson and my buddy's motor went. Hooper-based 800 ZRT. Pulled the motor and drove it down on the back of my sled, replaced pistons and took it back two days later, replaced in sled and rode it out. Sometimes that is the easiest thing to do instead of pulling the sled out (which was not an option in this case).

Pull, fix and install and keep riding all in one day is very impressive though!!! Props to the 340!!!!

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry some of the above plus a small butane torch to start a fire to cook moose sausage mmmmmm :BBQ:!:beer::d

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Along with a whack of other stuff, I carry Magic Wrap Plumbing Tape.
  • Water and air tight to 100 PSI plus
  • Works summer and winter from 0 to 212 degress Fahrenheit
  • Incredibly strong and long lasting
  • Conforms to irregular surfaces and shapes
  • Ideal for plumbing, automotive, electrical, general household and sports equipment repairs
  • Designed as a temporary repair product

Just in case something happens to my coolant hoses or oil lines... again.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pack enough stuff to spend the night out you never know when you will have to,it happened to me 2 yrs ago boxing day LOL

Top Bottom