Backpack Recommendations

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your just talking straight up backpacks. Find one that fits you the best. Dakine has some nice bags for non mountain riding, any mountain riding you should get an avy bag. Snowpulse, ABS or BCA

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going into the back country at all, I highly recommend a avy pack.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if ya dont wanna fork out the money for an avy pack, which is always worth it i grabbed a HMK bag from mountain majic for 200$$ that includes probe and shovel so the backpack alone should be even cheaper. awesome bag lots of storage. hope that helps ya

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your just talking straight up backpacks. Find one that fits you the best. Dakine has some nice bags

I have a nice bag :eek:

Seriously, there are so many out there on the market HMK, Ortivox, SOS etc etc I would say find one that fits nice and comfy, has a probe, shovel and storage for your goodies, a dry storage is nice because the bag's get wet and what ever you have inside that isn't sealed is going to get wet.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two, the Klim Nacpak and a True Adventure Gear Lightning pack. Both of them accomodate the shovel and probe. The Nacpak is great as it's smaller, has a water bladder with a large opening (you can reach your hand into the top), a tool bag, a goggle bag and lined pocket. The Lightning pack is bigger and can hold a lot more stuff. It comes with a water bladder that has and integrated gel pack that can keep your fluids hot or cold. It has more pockets as well. Both of the packs have performed flawlessly and I would buy them again. I hope this helps and good luck. Here are some links:

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dakine Poacher has tons of space, fits great, and has an outside zipper pocket that is big enough to hold your shovel, probe, and handle.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked one up at Martin Motor sport they have different sizes I picked up a 22liter Ortovox it is designed for sledding I paid $110 it works great carries what I need even if I have to spend the night on the hill. They are very well built.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my DaKine Heli Pro II.
It is not an avi pack, but for the boon docking I do, it works perfect.

Attachments

• Dakine-heli-pro-II-Ski-Mountain-pack-black.jpg
    Dakine-heli-pro-II-Ski-Mountain-pack-black.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 301

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Dakine bags, have a heli 2 and a guide. I use the guide most, as it affords me plenty of space and it seems I need to drag tons of stuff into the woods with me.

so far so good, they allow a good range of motion for sledding/skiing.

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
Not sure what you're looking to spend but the ABS packs are great. Just don't get the small one... WAY to small to carry everything for riding. The mid size ABS packs are great. If your not looking to drop the money for ABS then the Dakine Poacher is a great pack!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the dakine heli pro. I use the 20L one.

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ride with KLIM new Krew Pac, and so far i must say i like it, never rode with a pack until this year and i hardly notice that its there

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dakine Heli Pro here too. Got mine at Totem Outfitters.

Shovel pouch, handle straps, spare goggle compartment, espresso machine and flush toilet. What more could you want in a backpack.

sicamoose

Reaction score
Like others have said, Dakine makes wicked packs. That being said, I use a Black Diamond Avalung (outlaw) pack. Still compact enough and buys ya (potentially) an extra ten minutes of air if stuck in an avi.....IMO better quality than the Dakine as well.

Looks like there are four dealers in your area, one of them being MEC.

www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/avalung/outlaw-avalung

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True Adventure Gear Storm pack. bought mine from clews in reddeer (snobunjie)

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would also check out the black diamond ones. YOu can get a pack with a avalung built into it. i know its not as good as airbags, but it is less than a 1/4 f the price and will extend the period of time you have air available to you if you do get buried.

mrjck

Reaction score
i would also check out the black diamond ones. YOu can get a pack with a avalung built into it. i know its not as good as airbags, but it is less than a 1/4 f the price and will extend the period of time you have air available to you if you do get buried.

I second that! Picked up a BlackDiamond AvaLung Bandit at MEC for like $100 or something... Was last years model they were clearing out, so nice cheap price for a good quality bag, and it can save your life if used properly. Already a few stories out there about guys using them in an avalanche, and how it helped them to calm down because they had something to breathe through, and knew they could last a bit longer. Plus your buddies would know if you had one, so they dont give up searching as fast, because you can survive under the snow over twice as long... Better then nothing, and a lot lighter then the big expensive ABS packs, plus it holds the rest of your Avy gear nicely! Good investment that you hopefully never need!

Top Bottom