avalanche fatalitys..Golden Feb 19

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
/\ Can this be confirmed,

Sad news indeed, condolences to the families.

2 guys in my group of four each had a spot and set the off aswell as another rider. For the record there was a big group of fellow sledders that dug out all the victims that night. The 2 from our group were just sick no one responded and they had to leave the 3 bodies behind over night.

My condolences to the families and great job to all that responded to try and save the victims.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 guys in my group of four each had a spot and set the off aswell as another rider. For the record there was a big group of fellow sledders that dug out all the victims that night. The 2 from our group were just sick no one responded and they had to leave the 3 bodies behind over night.

My condolences to the families and great job to all that responded to try and save the victims.

thats just not right....

condolences to the families of the victims...be safe out there

toddsphotos

Reaction score

All I can say is wow... not right indeed,

condolences to the families

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in a situation where we needed a chopper for rescue purposes. It was too close to dusk. The wouldn't send one out and sent a ground crew. He had to spend the night alone on the side of a cliff until the next morning.

Choppers do not run at night in the backcountry, for safety reasons.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oler not singling you out, but awesome job. I hope I never need ya but if I did.......

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in a situation where we needed a chopper for rescue purposes. It was too close to dusk. The wouldn't send one out and sent a ground crew. He had to spend the night alone on the side of a cliff until the next morning.

I agree with their thinking here it is just sad that is all.

Reaction score
I was one of the group of six that saw it happen, and were first on the scene to start the rescue efforts. If anyone here knows the families of the victims, they need to know that there were many very brave, and very motivated people out there trying to save their loved ones. Everyone on the rescue mission did an absolutely amazing job, and not one person held anything back. There was no confusion and the rescue efforts were very organized and fast. We found all four guys almost instantly and started digging them out. I don't know how many people were out there helping, but it seemed like there were around 20+ guys. Every one of them is a hero and should feel proud that we saved a life that day. Without all of their efforts there wouldn't have been any survivors. I have been thinking about it constantly since it happened, and I always seem to think about how so many people were able to organize that well and put such an amazing effort together to get these guys out of there. My prayers and condolences are going out to the families and the communities of the guys we helped out. They are going through hell right now, and I hope this message can get to them somehow. They deserve to know that nothing was spared in the rescue, and there were so many people out there working together to save people they didn't even know. Thank you to all who risked their own lives to try and save these 4, you all did such an amazing job. You should all feel proud that you saved a life out there.

OLIVE DRAB DEAN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was one of the group of six that saw it happen, and were first on the scene to start the rescue efforts. If anyone here knows the families of the victims, they need to know that there were many very brave, and very motivated people out there trying to save their loved ones. Everyone on the rescue mission did an absolutely amazing job, and not one person held anything back. There was no confusion and the rescue efforts were very organized and fast. We found all four guys almost instantly and started digging them out. I don't know how many people were out there helping, but it seemed like there were around 20+ guys. Every one of them is a hero and should feel proud that we saved a life that day. Without all of their efforts there wouldn't have been any survivors. I have been thinking about it constantly since it happened, and I always seem to think about how so many people were able to organize that well and put such an amazing effort together to get these guys out of there. My prayers and condolences are going out to the families and the communities of the guys we helped out. They are going through hell right now, and I hope this message can get to them somehow. They deserve to know that nothing was spared in the rescue, and there were so many people out there working together to save people they didn't even know. Thank you to all who risked their own lives to try and save these 4, you all did such an amazing job. You should all feel proud that you saved a life out there.

Well written, hat's off to everyone that helped. Condolances to the families.

lagrek

Reaction score
Condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to the familys and all those affected. To all those who helped at the scene, you are also victims seek help if needed.....R.I.P.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers go out to all the family and friends on those involved.....as well as to all the hero's that stood in the face of danger with all the rescue efforts

Flange99

Reaction score

Yes, this I can understand and agree with.

The Feb.19th avy happened approx. 4:30pm with 911 messages going out almost immediately. Sunset was approx. 6:30pm. Approx. 15 min chopper ride from Golden. I'm told all victims were out well before sunset.

Everyone just needs to be aware of how a rescue is going to be initiated when they hit that 911 button.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Such a tragic story, thoughts and prayer to all involved and a speedy recovery for the young man that made it out. Cudos to all those that helped save othesr loved ones.....a HUGE high five.

Dogtooth

Reaction score

The Feb.19th avy happened approx. 4:30pm with 911 messages going out almost immediately. Sunset was approx. 6:30pm. Approx. 15 min chopper ride from Golden. I'm told all victims were out well before sunset.

Everyone just needs to be aware of how a rescue is going to be initiated when they hit that 911 button.
You have to put the safety of SAR and helicopter first. The timeline from the incident first being reported and dark really wasn't very long. And who is to say that a machine was on the ground ready to go. And I really think that it is much more than a 15 minute flight from the Golden airport to Hope Creek. In fact I know it is having flown that route in the past.

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score

I was not involved in this incident, but I want to offer my most sincere condolences to the Families and Friends of the Victims.

I also want to commend the group of on site Rescuers for an awesome job of orgainizing and conducting such a quick and effective rescue situation, you guys saved a life ! You guys should get recognized for your efforts !

In my past dealings with SPOT calls, I have found that they take a while to work through the system. It could be well over 30 minutes to get a response from the Texas call center, to the Canadian 911 system, to the RCMP, to SAR and to a Helicopter. I have found that we are generally close to 1 hour to respond.
There are no dedicated SAR helicopters, short of the Military ( Comox, Cold Lk), just commercial operators, who generally drop regular work to respond.
Keep in mind that all SAR groups in BC are volunteer, so you won't find crews sitting at a Hall waiting for a call like Firemen or Ambulance. The guys are at work, all over town, they drop their tools, and head out. The Golden SAR guys were actually out on another avalanche related call at the time, a report of a slide in lower Holt Ck, sleds seen in the area.

As I said, I was not involved, but can only assume that when they did get the call, daylight was becoming a factor. Helicopters were instantly available, but this is not always the case.
It's a few more than 15 minutes out to Hope Ck, probably just over 18 minutes each way. I'd say that 6 PM would be their cut-off time for any meaningful response.

I's not right, but unfortunately, that's the way it is.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So sad!! I wish something could be said to relieve your pain.. I can't imagine your grief!!
Sincere condolences to the families..

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i am not sure what to say to this but i was one of the guys helping to dig the four out. The one i dug out survived. The other 3 did not as they were burried in over 1meter of snow. We did manage to get evyone recovered if you will. I cannot image the pain the one kid now has as one was a family member that passed. Myself i was out with my mom and da that day and it sends chills down my spin to think we left 10min before this thing let go. I would call it a class 3 or 4avy. 1meter deep and 500meters across. I got to say that i will really be rethinkin my appoarch of mountain sledding after this incident and my tools for recovery. Personally the image of those 3 guys and this event will be around for a while.Shovelling is the biggest thing here and u have no idea until you have done it.

For the guy who has made it, my condolences to you and your family. And if you need someone to ring up about this, feel free to give me a call.

Ps the bowl was the one where you travel to the east once through the trees. Then turn south. Up and over and down to the bottom. The north face from the bottom let go.
Wow Chris, such a sad story, was your Dad there helping as well ? Godspeed to the fallen.

apg

Reaction score

We are family members of two of the victims. We are using the account of one of the victims. On behalf of both families we are so thankful and grateful of all the efforts that were done to try and save our family members. There are no words to express the appreciation we feel. We would also like to thank anyone who helped out on the hill, search and rescue, police, hospital staff the coronor and anyone else that was invoived over the last two days. We feel that every effort was made to try and save them, and afterwards everyone was so caring and concerned to help us through a terrible situation.

Top Bottom