Avalanche Claims One In Blue River

sled800r

Reaction score
zeke was there with steve to dig out the sled it was a place that any one of us would ride just his time to go i feel for you guys may ron rest in peace call me if you need to talk colin 524 7952

mjptb

Reaction score
Our hearts and thoughts are with Ron's family and friends. This one has hit to close to home!!

Marry Poppins Express

Reaction score
There are few words that can dull the pain of loosing someone close to you, a riding buddy, friend for work, husband. I have read all the posts thus far from the snow and mud community, and hope the familly of Ron will understand they are not alone. Zeke I hope you and the other surviving member of you tree-o can move through this tough time and not forsake the sport you once loved, as all of us question weather that sled if our garage that is so much fun is really worth the risk. We will move on as life always does and ride when we can. Words only go so far but my deepest simpathy goes out to Ron and his family and to all the families of sledders, skiers, snowboardes, wo have lost their lives to avalances.

"In the clouds we ride with angels, rest in peace Ron"

GRD

Reaction score
There are few words that can dull the pain of loosing someone close to you, a riding buddy, friend for work, husband. I have read all the posts thus far from the snow and mud community, and hope the familly of Ron will understand they are not alone. Zeke I hope you and the other surviving member of you tree-o can move through this tough time and not forsake the sport you once loved, as all of us question weather that sled if our garage that is so much fun is really worth the risk. We will move on as life always does and ride when we can. Words only go so far but my deepest simpathy goes out to Ron and his family and to all the families of sledders, skiers, snowboardes, wo have lost their lives to avalances.

"In the clouds we ride with angels, rest in peace Ron"

Well wrote MPE..

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad news. My condonlences to family & friends, may he be remembered with a smile in all the good times.

NYTRO

Reaction score
My sympathy goes out to Ron's family and friends. May his spirit stay in your hearts forever and with every tear that is cried may it be not only of sorrow but also of joy, the joy that he gave to everyone he knew.

zeke

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long. I know now we did everything we possibly could, it just wasn't meant to be.
The day started in Valemount at breakfast, Ron said we're goin to Blue River. I said let's do it. We just call it North Blue I've never heard those other names till that day. We usually make 8 trips to Valemount. This was our 2nd time this year into B.R.
When we got to the part where you leave the creek and head through the trees you could see there was alot of fresh snow. From there to the top of the shoot it took us about 2hrs. Once on top, it was heaven. Traveling up there was a breeze, 2 feet of fresh snow and traction. I thought to myself this is the best day ever. Then it became the worst day of my life.
We were all in the same area buzing around I saw Ron on the hill and I went around some trees and circled back. The next thing I saw was all the snow moving. I saw Ron's sled and focused on it. It rolled over and slid down the hill, it stopped and then moved again when some more snow from higher came down. This all took 10 to 15 seconds. I thought that wasn't too bad we'll just run over and he'll be a foot or so down, we'll have him out in no time.
We sped over and began to probe and search with the beacon. We focused on the spot I last saw the sled. We hit something hard and began to shovel. At the start the snow was soft, by the time we got to Ron it was like rock. Finally we saw something, it was the track of the sled and we were down 8feet. It was about this time you wanted to pray or cry or throw up. We were totally exhausted, stopping was not an option. We probed around the sled and hit something soft. We found his leg on the one side and figured out he was under the sled, with the seat sitting on his chest. We dug some more and pulled him out from the other side. This all took about 30 minutes.
We performed CPR for close to an hour. This shouldn't have happened. There was no sign of any av activity. We take pride in safety and not riding in dangerous av areas always keeping an eye on conditions. The bottom line is no one knows for sure.
My advice. Always ride in a group, have good av gear and know how to use it. A shovel in the back of a burried sled or a beacon with dead batteries won't do. Never try and stay with your sled.
This was Ron's passion and his favorite spot. Great guy very nice family and we all miss him.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam very sorry for your loss.I hope you can take solice in the fact that your friend left this world doing what he enjoyed surrounded by those who cared a bout him.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Sledders I was There With zeke on that day. Like he says we were in heaven up there. That day was sunny and bright, a dream day. We had been there before about three weeks. This was one of Ron's favorite places. Then like zeke said all hell broke loose.
Things changed in a hurray, get peeps out get shovel, probe, start seaching, and all this time in your mine your thinking we have to do this trying not to panic. but thats the hard part. I wasn,t sure if I was doing this right and zeke would yell keep trying. Then started digging and you would get exshauted, telling each other to keep going. We were going down not find him right away, now is this the right place or are we wrong, then say we found the sled. Some relief until still no Ron. By this totally exshuated the hole is getting to small then fund him, now start make hole bigger, crying , tired and we start cpr. That seem like for ever. One hard decission was who say stop.
Fellow sledders, we are a careful group that sleds to gether( about ten in our group total)and we all have avy packs and some have taken the course, but this day it got us by surprize. Now any hiil can do this at anytime. My advise is have the tools and really make sure that you know how to use them.. Practise this alot. Please be safe and thanks for all your thoughts for Ron, Zeke And I.

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story Zeke!!

Sorry it took so long. I know now we did everything we possibly could, it just wasn't meant to be.
The day started in Valemount at breakfast, Ron said we're goin to Blue River. I said let's do it. We just call it North Blue I've never heard those other names till that day. We usually make 8 trips to Valemount. This was our 2nd time this year into B.R.
When we got to the part where you leave the creek and head through the trees you could see there was alot of fresh snow. From there to the top of the shoot it took us about 2hrs. Once on top, it was heaven. Traveling up there was a breeze, 2 feet of fresh snow and traction. I thought to myself this is the best day ever. Then it became the worst day of my life.
We were all in the same area buzing around I saw Ron on the hill and I went around some trees and circled back. The next thing I saw was all the snow moving. I saw Ron's sled and focused on it. It rolled over and slid down the hill, it stopped and then moved again when some more snow from higher came down. This all took 10 to 15 seconds. I thought that wasn't too bad we'll just run over and he'll be a foot or so down, we'll have him out in no time.
We sped over and began to probe and search with the beacon. We focused on the spot I last saw the sled. We hit something hard and began to shovel. At the start the snow was soft, by the time we got to Ron it was like rock. Finally we saw something, it was the track of the sled and we were down 8feet. It was about this time you wanted to pray or cry or throw up. We were totally exhausted, stopping was not an option. We probed around the sled and hit something soft. We found his leg on the one side and figured out he was under the sled, with the seat sitting on his chest. We dug some more and pulled him out from the other side. This all took about 30 minutes.
We performed CPR for close to an hour. This shouldn't have happened. There was no sign of any av activity. We take pride in safety and not riding in dangerous av areas always keeping an eye on conditions. The bottom line is no one knows for sure.
My advice. Always ride in a group, have good av gear and know how to use it. A shovel in the back of a burried sled or a beacon with dead batteries won't do. Never try and stay with your sled.
This was Ron's passion and his favorite spot. Great guy very nice family and we all miss him.

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you too Pete for sharing.....

Hello Fellow Sledders I was There With zeke on that day. Like he says we were in heaven up there. That day was sunny and bright, a dream day. We had been there before about three weeks. This was one of Ron's favorite places. Then like zeke said all hell broke loose.
Things changed in a hurray, get peeps out get shovel, probe, start seaching, and all this time in your mine your thinking we have to do this trying not to panic. but thats the hard part. I wasn,t sure if I was doing this right and zeke would yell keep trying. Then started digging and you would get exshauted, telling each other to keep going. We were going down not find him right away, now is this the right place or are we wrong, then say we found the sled. Some relief until still no Ron. By this totally exshuated the hole is getting to small then fund him, now start make hole bigger, crying , tired and we start cpr. That seem like for ever. One hard decission was who say stop.
Fellow sledders, we are a careful group that sleds to gether( about ten in our group total)and we all have avy packs and some have taken the course, but this day it got us by surprize. Now any hiil can do this at anytime. My advise is have the tools and really make sure that you know how to use them.. Practise this alot. Please be safe and thanks for all your thoughts for Ron, Zeke And I.

Top Bottom