ATV tires

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new set of tires for an 06 Arctic Cat 400 FIS. My main riding is up and down trails some gravel and the occasional mud hole. I have only run the factory tired so far and am wondering what is a good trail/occasional mud tire would be. Thanks:d

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new set of tires for an 06 Arctic Cat 400 FIS. My main riding is up and down trails some gravel and the occasional mud hole. I have only run the factory tired so far and am wondering what is a good trail/occasional mud tire would be. Thanks:d

Zillas, mud lites, mud lites xtr, gators, mud bugs, swamp lites,

Pretty much everyone on here thinks their tires are there best, the above are ok from what I have heard.....

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

For that small of quad and those trails get bearclaws

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zillas, mud lites, mud lites xtr, gators, mud bugs, swamp lites,

Pretty much everyone on here thinks their tires are there best, the above are ok from what I have heard.....

Doesn't have the power to turn any Of these except maybe mudlites and they are garbage

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x3 on the Bearclaws. If you were running 26's or bigger, I would say Zillas, but for the smaller machines, Bearclaws are an excellent all around tire. I have them on my Scrambler, they work great.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran 27x10x12F and 27x12x12R Mudbugs on my 400 AC with no problems. My preference today would be 'Zillas, Mudbugs/Gators, Mudlites....in that order. Bearclaws and Swamp Lites are both heavier tires and will kill power.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran 27x10x12F and 27x12x12R Mudbugs on my 400 AC with no problems. My preference today would be 'Zillas, Mudbugs/Gators, Mudlites....in that order. Bearclaws and Swamp Lites are both heavier tires and will kill power.
If you want to run the heavier/larger tires you can re-clock your secondary(b-4) and drill your primary rollers to 17.5gr and you will turn 27's with ease.You will lose about 5k off your top end. It is exactly the same as a clutch kit.Heavier secondary spring and lighter rollers but it is free!!!Spend 20 bucks on primary shims and you will pull wheelies. The re-clocking and lightening of the rollers is actually a service bulletin from cat for high elevation riding.Cat recommends removing two rollers directly opposing each other.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had an old 98 AC 454 4x4 and ran the stock size bear claws and they were great for what I rode, rode double quite a bit...I found no power loss and never broke anything...not the most aggressive tire but, a great ALL TERRAIN as you described you were after.
NOW, I have an OLD AC 500 4x4 (manual shift) and decided to go with 27" Swamp Lites (got them for under $100 each)...they are a heavier tire (6 Ply), and that worried me, but have had no problems! And found their traction to be very good. I noticed a LITTLE less power but can spin them easy even in 2nd gear...the trade off to me was totally worth it.
As mentioned before with your auto you can "make" it work.

Bear claws are a great all terrain tire (inexpensive), have seen the "Zillas (kinda pricey) at work on other machines and they do very well, and the Big Horns (kinda pricey too) are a very good tire as well....personal preference. I do like my "Swamp Lites".

Tons of tire choices out there, Good luck and have fun!!

mudd kitty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X4 on the bear claws. That's what came with my honda and they were great. This year I put some stock can am tires on and they kinda suck. Gonna put my old rims and bear claws back on.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not too many people know about them but a mud bug R (radial version) would be a good option. Got them by accident on the wifes kodiak (wanted regular mud bugs but these got ordered instead) and it was the best mistake ever. Lighter and smoother riding than a regular mud bug, still chew in the soft stuff and the stock 450 turns them with ease. Max available size is a 26" though :(

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. Yes the 400 is a small machine, but the first one iI ever owned. It does have a clutch kit in it and I just got the primary clutch back from Airdam and had the stage 2 maching done to it. Waiting on my Uni filter to come in and considering some exhaust work. Yes I do want a bigger one but also want a newer sled and some pick up mods so the 400 will have to make do for another year or two. As it goes with most stuff everyone has there fave stuff so anything else is a no go. i am also brand loyal I like my cats. But I do need some new tires and soon. Thanks again

Top Bottom