ATV Friendly Camping

spspete

Reaction score
I'm kind of new to the hobby in Alberta and would love some input from others on atv friendly camping in Alberta and Eastern BC. I've looked at dozens of campground websites and most often see the phrase "ATV use prohibited in Park". So does that mean we have to push it outside the gate before we start it up? WTF?!? Here's what I'm after:

-Relatively family friendly.
-Power & Water for my RV
-ATV trails proximate to campground

I'm beginning to wonder if I left all this behind when I came north from the US. Please help. Thanks.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out west campground ( west of Caroline Alberta )

There are many.

sent from my HTC while working

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of new to the hobby in Alberta and would love some input from others on atv friendly camping in Alberta and Eastern BC. I've looked at dozens of campground websites and most often see the phrase "ATV use prohibited in Park". So does that mean we have to push it outside the gate before we start it up? WTF?!? Here's what I'm after:

-Power & Water for my RV

I'm beginning to wonder if I left all this behind when I came north from the US. Please help. Thanks.

Joussard, Alberta lots of camping... there is a private camp ground there or you could go to Spruce Point Campground... the private campground in Joussard is on a little homemade lake great for the kids... but its right beside lesser slave lake... about 100 feet away that lake is 100km long maybe 8 feet deep... great little spot... lots of atv trails nearby and the MD of Big Lake and Town of High Prairie have put an ATV trail map together on the entire district... if you end up this way let me know ill point you in the right direction. If your interested ill look up that name for the private campground... cops are good up here... if you have a plate and don't go crazy you can take your atv down the roads... just use respect

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been in Alberta 12 yrs now and have now been to OutWest campground, think I need to get another job so I can travel around for good riding, Alder Flats is getting old, but its a quick drive from buck lake

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

-Power & Water for my RV

Do what many/most of us quadder/campers do: haul some extra water (or upgrade your RV tank) and get a generator...boondock camp where the quadding is. No campground restrictions.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do what many/most of us quadder/campers do: haul some extra water (or upgrade your RV tank) and get a generator...boondock camp where the quadding is. No campground restrictions.

Dave can I stay with you. I am a quiet guy.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Poachers Landing...5miles from Alpac...no hook ups, but gorgeous campsites right by the river with awesome trails surrounding it.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:confused:And for us sheltered big city types this is where:confused::confused: ..... google maps isn't so informative:rolleyes::D.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alpac is between Grassland and Athabasca on highway 55 I believe.

spspete

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I gather then that my options are:

1) Outwest near Caroline
2) High Prairie Area
3) Boondockin' it.

Trip to Outwest already planned for May and I'm buying a better genset. Thanks all.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

1) Outwest near Caroline
2) High Prairie Area
3) Boondockin' it.

Trip to Outwest already planned for May and I'm buying a better genset. Thanks all.

Outwest is closer to Rocky Mountain House than Caroline. Outwest Camping & R.V. Park if you need a map.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

1) Outwest near Caroline
2) High Prairie Area
3) Boondockin' it.

do us all a favour get a quiet one. honda, yamaha, kipor, don't buy a construction type please.

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Is there a store that strictly sells high quality generators ? I sure would like to replace my rattle trap pos

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Yes please buy a very quiet genset. Nothing worse than people having a genset on and it is noisy. That and music. By the way like others have said, you don't need power when camping, boondocking is the only way to go. Put a solar panel on the roof of the RV and you will never have battery problems.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm your microwave or air condition won't run on any solar setup i've seen, not much charging going on when it's raining or cloudy, you'll still need a generator thus you may as well just buy it and say forget the overpriced solar fun times. a sine wave generator 3000watts will power everything in your trailer, solar won't. if you do try solar you'll need a minimum 120 watt panel or larger. anything smaller probably won't keep up.
also the generator will charge toy batteries, electric wood splitters, compressors , etc, your solar gear won't.

Top Bottom