ATV Dies in water??????

Ragelite

Reaction score
Ok so today I hit this mud hole and then water hole at low speeds and the bike started to spit and sputter and then it died on me and after that when I gave it some throttle it would get to about 25 mph and start to spit and sputter and wouldn't go faster. I can cruise along at a good speed but if I nail the throttle it starts to spit and sputter on me.

But it rode perfect until I hit this mud/water hole.

Anyone have thoughts??

Ragelite

Reaction score
Air filter is bone dry, the carb boots are good, I checked the plugs and they seem fine. The plug boots were a little dirty so I cleaned them up and put the die elec to them. Just odd that when I hit a little bit of water or mud, well most of the time deep mud it dies on me.

Andy the Digger

Reaction score
Air filter is bone dry, the carb boots are good, I checked the plugs and they seem fine. The plug boots were a little dirty so I cleaned them up and put the die elec to them. Just odd that when I hit a little bit of water or mud, well most of the time deep mud it dies on me.

Leaky stator cover or grommet.... Poor CDI or coil connection. Kill switch shorting out... Spark plug cap wire connection not screwed in all the way..... it sounds electrical ??

Ragelite

Reaction score
2004 Sportsman 600 twin. I have to say Im new to atvs and all this but it does seem elec to me. It ran great till it this mud hole and I though it was the tailpipe going under and thats why it died, but once I got out it was still acting up. I took it out last night about 6 hours after I got home and it seem to run great!!! I think its a water/elec issue. But I have no clue where to check first, well I should say that it started to die once the back end of the bike was in the mud.

"spark arrester" my atv has a stock system on it, can I check this?

Thanks guys!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have a front diff lock, if so I bet it is the rev limiter kicking in. Go get yourself some dielectric grease and do all the plugs front to back.

Ragelite

Reaction score
Front diff lock?? All I have to do is flick a switch and its in awd. I changed the spark plugs tonight and after I took out the 2nd ngk I fired it up and it even sounded better. I took it down to the quarry and drove the heck out of it in the water to the point I was soaked, but I was still careful enough not to get water where i shouldn't. I think if it was something else it would have done it tonight as this water is pretty deep. Ill keep you guys posted, Im going out in the next few nights to test it in the same mud hole!

thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts on this!!! all the help go's along way for a rookie like me :)

kimluck

Reaction score
dielectric grease all your pin connectors, vent your carb up to your handlebars,run your carb overflow line (bottom of floatbowl) up to your handlebars. use a k&n filter , silicon your airbox lid any more questions call roadhawg 780-340-9308 or triangle atv james 409-866-0077 these guys know snorkles check out triangle atv .com or webshots alanselmo. these guys are who you need to contact for water riding first class install and products.

Top Bottom