M8000 dies, but starts fine after some time

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2015 M8000 just started acting up yesterday. Fired up cold second pull, warmed up just fine, and then rode about half a click from the house and it died. Wouldn't restart.

Dicked around with it for a bit. Disconnected the TSS. Tried pulling it over a bunch with the throttle wide open. Still wouldn't fire up.

Towed it home. Went to pull it in the shed and it fired right up. So i went for another rip. Sled ran great for ~10 minutes out in the field. Couldn't sense anything wrong with it. Went back home to tell the wife we could go for a rip again, and it died in literally the same spot again.

Went back home, got the truck & winched it up the sled deck. It started up on the deck first pull. I was able to unload it off the deck and back it in to the shed.

When it wouldn't start, I noticed the gauge would light up on the first pull, but consecutive pulls it would not. If i let it sit for at least 15 seconds, then the gauge would light up again. Not sure if that's normal or not.

Not sure where to start here. I'm thinking possibly fuel related. Maybe stuck injector or failing fuel pump? Possibly bad tether or kill switch? Stator or voltage regulator?

Going to pull the hood off and pull the plugs. Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues, and what it may be.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would test your stator first. They have issues on these sleds. You may want to test it cold and hot. If the sled will start again that is.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would test your stator first. They have issues on these sleds. You may want to test it cold and hot. If the sled will start again that is.
That's the thing, it'll start no problem right now. When it dies, it's like I hit the kill switch.

Could be faulty tether maybe? Or kill switch? Thinking about disconnecting both.

Only problem is, i seem to get it to fail just idling in the yard. Gotta go for a ride, and then I'm stuck hauling it home when it dies.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just caused my own problem went to change my recoil rope that broke yesterday and figured I would change the plugs while I was at it. Pulled the hood and pipe off then decided to turn my idle up a bit. Never attempted this but there is an adjustment on the throttle body stop turned it very slightly and tightened the jam nut. I put it all back together and it is totally dead wont fire at all not gauge flicker. Anyone know if that small adjustment could cause a safety switch to activate?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I managed to have it die on me in the yard this time. Pulled the hood and tether switch, still no go. Pulled spark plugs, and they are making good spark. Changed them while i was in that deep. They were a bit wet. Didn't seem soaked to me though. Still won't fire though.

I also pulled the main fuel line off the tank and confirmed the pump is pushing fuel when I pull it over. Broke the damn clip though, so now I have to wait for parts before I can do much else.

Any other ideas?

I'm assuming that spark and fuel should mean the stator is good. Unless it's the injector coil that's the issue?

Not sure where to check from here though.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe TROOLCAT will add some insight he has 14 m800. I don't have a service manual and can't seem to access the online one from CountryCat anymore.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull the plug to your ecu and clean all the contacts. Chased an intermittent problem on an M8 for weeks till I found corrosion in that plug. Never missed a beat after that. Cheap and easy place to look before you get to the expensive stuff.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the throttle safety switch/tether cord, cut the spark off (no need to pull plug just use a spare plug to check for spark)

I had a cracked fuse in the fuse block that was causing me a big pile of greef (need to test fuses)

there are smart valves on the fuel pump if there is crap in them this will cause problems to there are oneway valves (pump will lose pressure)

throttle cable is loose this will set off the TSS

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you I will back that back out tomorrow and give it a try
adjust the slack out of throttle cable

Pull the plug to your ecu and clean all the contacts. Chased an intermittent problem on an M8 for weeks till I found corrosion in that plug. Never missed a beat after that. Cheap and easy place to look before you get to the expensive stuff.
check every plug

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
adjust the slack out of throttle cable

check every plug
Thanks I will do that tomorrow. Is the adjustment for the idle down between the throttle bodies? That is the one I turned in a bit. It has and allen key screw and a 8mm jam nut. I will tighten the cable at the adjuster first and see if it will start but I have to pull the pipe to get to the other one.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks I will do that tomorrow. Is the adjustment for the idle down between the throttle bodies? That is the one I turned in a bit. It has and allen key screw and a 8mm jam nut. I will tighten the cable at the adjuster first and see if it will start but I have to pull the pipe to get to the other one.

try to get adjustment screw back to where it was, this also changed the tps when you adjust that screw,

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try to get adjustment screw back to where it was, this also changed the tps when you adjust that screw,
Will do thanks again. Serves me right for messing with something that was working fine. Really dont want to have to take it into the dealer.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I am still stumped. I set the adjuster back as close as I think I can. Tighten the throttle cable and checked all the fuses and connectors. Made sure spark plug caps were on all the way. Anyone know the specs for the stator?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I am still stumped. I set the adjuster back as close as I think I can. Tighten the throttle cable and checked all the fuses and connectors. Made sure spark plug caps were on all the way. Anyone know the specs for the stator?
I know the specs. Can't find the damn connectors though.

3d25ebe61aeb6518bebd08674bca82fb.jpg

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You making spark?

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found this too. Have to get one of my girls to come to the garage and watch for the spark. This social distancing sucks cant even get a buddy to come over and lend a hand.
ffa42054f3bcceeebfa86e4715072068.jpg

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The plugs on mine are right on top of the recoil housing they were wrapped in a canvas cover.
9322d4646fc75002d2e0e1babe803800.jpg

Top Bottom