Are you guys ready for the next skidoo game changer?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is my math see if you can grasp it. I have a 2009 Cat running 7 lbs of boost. I make 210 hp at sea level. 200 hp at 8000 ft. What am I missing?

That your turbo is not designed to go to 8000ft.

Turbos will loose HP after they go past their design ceiling, or the turbo becomes inefficient due to wear.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know because all of a sudden things got quiet.

Why? For the majority of guys that ride in British Columbia it’s perfect. Mostly 5000-8000 feet. Above 8000’ the turbo will loose a very marginal amount of hp due to air density, 4 psi of less oxygenated air at 12000”, won’t be the same as 4psi of air at 8000’.
The non turbo will
just keep loosing power as elevation increases. And the gap will grow

I personally wish they would of built a twin pipe 1000cc+ that made 220 horsepower n/a. Still be snappy bigbore torque. Would of made the trail guys and lake racer guys very happy. Not saying the new stock turbo is not responsive. Would love to
throw a leg over one. But I have been unimpressed with the bottom end on any aftermarket two stroke turbo I have ever driven.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
but to conserve fuel you would still lower your clickers as the cruise RPM would be lower. Really no different than now. Those that want to conserve fuel lower them on the trail
Ya makes sense. I don’t ever just ride 8 km from a truck on a groomed trail. Most times I ride from my front door on a trail that sees very few people so fuel is a big deal. I hope they offer a 175 expert at snow check time.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For some reason I feel like this is just a cash grab. Like seriously a 165hp turbo 850?

Next year it will probably be a 180hp turbo 850 just to sell more sleds, my guess is the only change will be an ECU flash.

I'm sure some engineer tuned this motor up over 200hp just to see what it would do, that would be the model I would buy.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why? For the majority of guys that ride in British Columbia it’s perfect. Mostly 5000-8000 feet. Above 8000’ the turbo will loose a very marginal amount of hp due to air density, 4 psi of less oxygenated air at 12000”, won’t be the same as 4psi of air at 8000’.
The non turbo will
just keep loosing power as elevation increases. And the gap will grow

I personally wish they would of built a twin pipe 1000cc+ that made 220 horsepower n/a. Still be snappy bigbore torque. Would of made the trail guys and lake racer guys very happy. Not saying the new stock turbo is not responsive. Would love to
throw a leg over one. But I have been unimpressed with the bottom end on any aftermarket two stroke turbo I have ever driven.
Obviously you have never rode a doo 850, by far the most responsive sled engine out there, boosted or n. A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Obviously you have never rode a doo 850, by far the most responsive sled engine out there, boosted or n. A
I’ve rode a stock doo 850. Everything was a little better than my t3. Was it 10 grand better than I would have to
spend over my t3 to upgrade? At the time I thought not. This might just be the push I needed to have to spend my money.
most things I don’t like of the aftermarket turbo kits have been dealt with by BRP. Plus with skidoo being able to control timing, and fuel control, for the turbo. Should run like a top.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So will this qualify for the stock classes in hill climb and other events? If so that could change things a bit.

Top Bottom