Anyone missing an old man?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So on the weekend sat feb 4 a group of local guys from pincher creek went over the middle kootenay pass and were headed down the flathead forest service road they got about 8-10 km's from the us/canada border and noticed an old man between 65-75 year old walking down the road with boots,jeans,jacket, and a guitar case with a guitar. The man looked half dead so my buddies offered him a ride back to the ski hill (nearly 50 km's away). the old man started telling them that he had hiked into the woods before the snow flew and that he had survived an avalanche this year and was eating willow buds and other pine needles and berries to survive. we thought the story a little suspicious since he had no idea were he even hiked in from and the temps in the pincher creek area were below-20 for over a week so jeans and a jacket aren't gonna cut it out there! they took the man back to the ski hill and had the authorities alerted for when they got the man back. the police basicly told the guys they should have left him out there cause know he was the police's responsibility so we were a bit confused on that but either way. The guys got a phone call from the police that night stating the man was a border jumper and that was all the info given. so if anyone is missing or knows of a missing man from the states please inform PINCHER CREEK RCMP. My guess is either has alzheimers,is on the wanted list, or well i dont know what would posses you to go walking into the flathead valley wilderness with just a guitar and a case for survival gear!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Some of the guys in Montana have a few wandering genes!

A few years back (maybe 5) a buddy was down there riding and came across a similar situation; the guy was pulling a toboggan with a tarp over it. There was a bicycle under the tarp and some other items of value to the man. The guy was old, tired and walking north. Buddy tied the toboggan to the bumper of his sled, had the guy hop on the back of the sled (sitting double) and he took the guy to Butt's cabin where they built a fire. The guy assured them that he was alright, etc., etc.. The interesting part was that my buddy thought he could feel a gun in his back, like the guy had a gun under his belt.

They were happy to leave him and reported the incident to the RCMP when they got back to Fernie. Upon further checking the guy was a border jumper and dealing in drugs.

Last year, there was an issue on S&M with the CBS wanting to know how to access the Flathead by quad and/or sled to check on some secret mission. Don't know how that one turned out.

Interesting place this eastern Kootenay's!!!!

ldog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting stories. You never no whats gonna happen in the back country......

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have seen the police in action around our place down there. Our place is in the area where the Elk river meets Lake Koocanusa and one day in the summer there were RCMP in cars, trucks and on mountain bikes all over. One car would drive into the area, stop, and a guy would hop out with a tripod and a camera with a long lens and be looking across the lake. He'd leave and a while later another car and a a guy with binoculars would hop out and scan about. There was also a truck with a couple of guys riding in the back holding mountain bikes. Lots of activity. We figured it was BC Bud looking to head south before the snow flew and the mounted police were gonna try and and get him before he did.

The eastern Kootenays are interesting but the deep western Kootenays are much more so...

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That crossing is an extremely popular crossing for border jumping and drug trafficking. It's easy to cross and there are lots of little cabins all over the place.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they ever find that old guy who walked away from the stuck minivan in the middle of nowhere? Didn't his wife survive for almost a month before hunters found her?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they ever find that old guy who walked away from the stuck minivan in the middle of nowhere? Didn't his wife survive for almost a month before hunters found her?
yep, he was dead. he got something like 7 kms away before cashing in

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have run into some very interesting characters in the back country, especially in the Kootenay's backpacking during the summer months. Most times we find it best to nod our heads and keep on keepin. Last thing I want is some whacko following me around the mountains for a few days.

On one of our last trips into an area known as Mount Queen Mary, we hadn't seen anyone in days. Then out of know where this old fella appeared. Hiking with an old orange aluminum frame pack, using an axe as a hiking/walking stick and wearing old rubber boots. Not a tooth in his mouth I am sure. Deffinetly was out of place. We have also run into some characters closer to the border, especially towards Nelson, but on the South side near Salmo, likely hippies who jumped the border many years back and have been living in the hills ever since.

You don't see them often but they are out there.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have run into some very interesting characters in the back country, especially in the Kootenay's backpacking during the summer months. Most times we find it best to nod our heads and keep on keepin. Last thing I want is some whacko following me around the mountains for a few days.

On one of our last trips into an area known as Mount Queen Mary, we hadn't seen anyone in days. Then out of know where this old fella appeared. Hiking with an old orange aluminum frame pack, using an axe as a hiking/walking stick and wearing old rubber boots. Not a tooth in his mouth I am sure. Deffinetly was out of place. We have also run into some characters closer to the border, especially towards Nelson, but on the South side near Salmo, likely hippies who jumped the border many years back and have been living in the hills ever since.

You don't see them often but they are out there.

Good plan.......nod and keep on going. So much for a secure border.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya I think the border guards are gonna be somewhat pissed! especially since the guy walked right by the old border station (buildings still standing and are in really good shape) pretty spooky considering this border is by waterton national park and glacier national park you would think there might be a bit more border protection or possibly even a camera or sensor in that area! we could ride our sleds int montana and have no one know about it

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of lots of guys that used to run the border just south of Creston to a little pub for beers just on the other side years ago. Don't think I'd be dooing that now with this whole homeland security deal.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya I think the border guards are gonna be somewhat pissed! especially since the guy walked right by the old border station (buildings still standing and are in really good shape) pretty spooky considering this border is by waterton national park and glacier national park you would think there might be a bit more border protection or possibly even a camera or sensor in that area! we could ride our sleds int montana and have no one know about it

We ride quite a bit in the summer time down along the border. There is still a large sections unprotected even though they want you to believe they have cameras, sensors and evil robots watching closely. There are roads/trails from Trail and up closer to the Crowsnest Hwy nearer Salmo we have gone down and when we looked on the GPS found we had infact crossed the border. I am sure nearer Waterton it is the same. When hiking through Waterton I am pretty sure there are enough sections you can cross and no one would be any wiser.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh tons of spots! there is a lake on the border called frozen lake it is one of those easy access spots at the border yeah its crazy the amount of areas you can sneek into canada or the states from

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We used to run down in to Montana all the time on our sleds. Also down South Castle and over the Akamina into Waterton Park. Wouldn't do either of those these days. Of course I had a Yamahahaha back then. Wouldn't to that now either:D

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yep, he was dead. he got something like 7 kms away before cashing in

Don't remember hearing that. At least his remains were found.

I was wrong, it was some articles of clothing believed to be his that they found.

He hasn't been located yet.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you think about it why would you gaurd that boarder. No reason for us to go there and they would have to work up here!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya akamina area was a good area forsure! south castle is fun riding I love it back in that whole area and lost lake as well! so it turns out the man may be possibly wanted on murder charges in Ontario! the plot thickens....:drama:

Last edited:
Top Bottom