Any Bear hunters out there?

charity650

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone on this site is Bear hunting this spring, and if any of you are having luck?? This spring is not proving to be successful yet. I had a 2 yr old black at my 1 bait 2 weeks ago, but then he vacated. I haven't heard of any other hunters having any luck yet either....Bad Spring.
If anyone has had any luck, or baits anr being hit, let me know,...might help to lift my spirits!!!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I think there a little late coming out this year for some reason :confused: I have a friend with a few baits out and the only barrel that has been touched was the one full of Popcorn. I've never heard of anyone using popcorn before but apparently it works good :) Good Luck.

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My husband is a avid hunter and he says "You gotta have green to find bears ....slopes must be green, we do not even consider going down south here until May " Now I suppose Bait hunting differs from this theory .....he's guided many hunters and says he wouldn't even consider heading out until around May 8 or 10 , and with the recent snow that may even be pushed back ......It's rather difficult to gauge and have the right timing , once the leaves are popping out , it's too late !!! Just our thoughts on the subject ........Our oldest son recently shot one about a year ago, we spotted it in the first week of May but were not able to get close until several weeks later !! Good hunting....

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The answer to that is NO, it is not illegal........You have to buy a tag, like any other animal in hunting season ........It is illegal to hunt them to take their gallbladder !!

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Something I found: Bear Seasons

There are different seasons for bear hunting in Canada and it depends upon which species of bear you are hunting. Spring grizzly bear hunting season in British Columbia is from May until June while the fall hunting season is from Sept. 22nd to the 30th and Oct. 2nd to the 10th. The habitat of the Canadian grizzly bear is steadily shrinking. British Colombia bear hunting has been most affected by this trend. It is said that half the grizzly population makes their home in British Colombia.

For the Canadian black bear, hunting season is in the spring from May until June in British Colombia. The abundance of black bear makes it a popular prey for hunters of all skill levels. Their range goes from British Colombia to Newfoundland. Populations vary and depend upon the availability of food and the intensity of the hunt in any given year. It is said that the northern regions of Canada contain black bears that are far more dangerous and aggressive than their southern counterparts.

Quebec bear hunting season is in the spring. It lasts from the end of May until the end of June but hunting dates may vary according to the whims of Mother Nature. Canada bear hunting regulations differ depending upon the species as well as the province.Bear Hunting in Canada

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting till it gets a bit greener. The weather has been cool and a few guys I talked to have had not luck and bait not touched either.:(

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the answer to that is no, it is not illegal........you have to buy a tag, like any other animal in hunting season ........it is illegal to hunt them to take their gallbladder !!

sorry i am not a hunter, but why do people want there gallbladder

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Here ya go...1. The Issue
Bear gallbladders are prized in many Asian countries for their medicinal and aphrodisiac qualities. In countries such as South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and China, bear gallbladders sell for astronomical prices and are often considered more valuable than gold. Because bear parts commanded high prices in Asia, this demand diminished the bear populations with the rise in incomes there. With the decline in Asian bear populations, Asian merchants came to North America to procure gall bladders of the North American black bear. Reports indicate that an increasing quantity of bear gallbladder used in such medicines and aphrodisiacs are originating in the United States, from such places as the Shenandoah Valley or the Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts. Legislation has now been enacted to protect the bear in North America. In response, China has set up bear farming operations in many parts of the country to produce bear products. China is now are an exporter of bear products to other Asian countries.Bear Case Study

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haven't seen any around here as of yet but did see one a couple weeks back while coming through blue and vale on my way home. about 2km before the allen staging area. really big black bear but otherwise nil.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
far too early ...they aren't really moving yet ....especially up here ..usualy mid to end of May ...once the grass starts coming up then they will be usually found on southern exposures first ..digging for roots and the occasional gopher ..

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heres one fer ya

bearpaw.jpg

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
im a bear hunter, but dont hunt the spring bears cause we hunt for meat and there meat is crap in the spring, but i wouldnt mind a nice bear rug, hmm maybe next spring

my dad said he saw a few while he was working just north of blue

Top Bottom