Antler Hunting????

Wanderlust

Reaction score
Anybody else into hunting for sheds?? Anyone having much luck this year? I'm coming up empty handed this spring-not for a lack of trying though!!!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody else into hunting for sheds?? Anyone having much luck this year? I'm coming up empty handed this spring-not for a lack of trying though!!!

Theres a whole bunch of them at the home improvement center.....single, double, even roll up doors.....:d:d:d

charity650

Reaction score
I found a couple while out putting in bear baits earlier this spring. I found mine close to water holes.....might be something worth trying..?

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
Yea the numbers are way down this year, last year my brother and I found over 80 sheds.This year only about 20 and our searching area is is way larger, not sure why..:confused:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ben looking a bit but the only one i found was way back in Jan. at the trailseekers trails. hit the damn thing with my sled couldn't have missed it big ugly moose one. unfortunatly couldn't find the other half of it though.

Wanderlust

Reaction score
Yea the numbers are way down this year, last year my brother and I found over 80 sheds.This year only about 20 and our searching area is is way larger, not sure why..:confused:

Wow! And I'm just happy to find the odd rotting in the slough kind.........what are you finding, elk, moose, deer?
It's always a slog around here, but every area is different.......! Just gotta put in the time.........

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys finding the sheds in certain areas.(ie) under trees, in bedding areas. Or do they just drop off randomly?
We have 3acres of land right beside a provincal boundary area and the dogs came home with half a set the other day. Nice 6points. Like to find the other side. I'll take the kids and dogs out for some walks and see what we find.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys finding the sheds in certain areas.(ie) under trees, in bedding areas. Or do they just drop off randomly?
We have 3acres of land right beside a provincal boundary area and the dogs came home with half a set the other day. Nice 6points. Like to find the other side. I'll take the kids and dogs out for some walks and see what we find.

A good place to look for sheds would be on the game trails to and from bedding areas and the feeding/watering areas. Also around farmers hay stacks if he has been having problems with the deer and elk all winter feeding and destroying the bales. A buddy of mine has had problems all winter with the elk and deer. The deer were already to the point of not being afraid of gun shots and would barely get out of the way of the tractor. The herd of elk on the other hand thou didn't hang around when the tractor was around the cattle shelter. He found 1/2 the shed of a nice size 6X6 elk that hung around with 6 cows from late January on.

Wanderlust

Reaction score

That's good the dogs came home with it-I keep thinking there's got to be a way that I can train our two labs to sniff them out-sounds like yours are naturals:) Keep an eye out for rubs, but don't be surprised if you find antlers is some pretty bizarre places-deep into tree branches, on rocks, under trees. Always think about how animals move and where they might have been foraging a couple of months ago ie. open slopes

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have not found any either, I heard porcupines and coyotes eat them, I have not seen any fat porcupines or yotes neither:d

Last 1 i found was sticking out of front tire of truck. lol

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Haven't come across any yet. Although I tend not to collect them, I mostly keep the ones off the animals that I harvest.
This may sound like a dumb question but if you collected a tonne of them like 80 what in the world do you do with them????
I kept a nice pair for rattlin but other than that??? :confused:

Top Bottom